MA: Repeal of the Mideast Abortion Statue II (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:25:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Repeal of the Mideast Abortion Statue II (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: MA: Repeal of the Mideast Abortion Statue II (Vetoed)  (Read 6912 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »

No one has an opinion about my compromise proposal?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »

I support it. It's an acceptable compromise to me.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »

What all does that change?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2012, 09:54:41 PM by Mideast Assemblyman Mr. X »

To answer the Speaker's question, I'll post this again:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »

That's a good compromise bill, I can support it.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »

So if I'm understanding this right, Tmth's bill would allow abortions in the 1st trimester, Mr. X's bill would allow abortions in the 1st and 2nd trimesters, Gass's bill default the region to whatever the federal law ends up being, and the status quo is where abortion is illegal in all trimesters (all of these are excluding rape/incest/life of the mother exemptions)?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »

So if I'm understanding this right, Tmth's bill would allow abortions in the 1st trimester, Mr. X's bill would allow abortions in the 1st and 2nd trimesters, Gass's bill default the region to whatever the federal law ends up being, and the status quo is where abortion is illegal in all trimesters (all of these are excluding rape/incest/life of the mother exemptions)?

Yep
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »

Shouldn't clause 4 stay in?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

Thanks, I fixed it.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »

In that case my order of preference is Gass's bill>Mr. X's bill>>>>Tmth's bill>>>>>>>>>>status quo
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »

In that case my order of preference is Gass's bill>Mr. X's bill>>>>Tmth's bill>>>>>>>>>>status quo
Please don't take it the wrong way in me asking this, but could you explain your logic behind support for abortions at full-term? Actually, include in that the last month or two of the pregnancy in general, as a fetus can usually survive outside of the womb at this stage. Thanks.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »

So the biggest changes are a lowering of the fine and an increase in the license revocation?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »

So the biggest changes are a lowering of the fine and an increase in the license revocation?

And it would allow abortions during the second trimester.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »

And it would allow abortions during the second trimester.

Oh... I missed that.  Thank you.

This is why I was asking what all the bill changed. Wink
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »

Please don't take it the wrong way in me asking this, but could you explain your logic behind support for abortions at full-term? Actually, include in that the last month or two of the pregnancy in general, as a fetus can usually survive outside of the womb at this stage. Thanks.
I just don't think that this is something our region has to have a law on when there already is a federal law. Granted it's a weird time for this right now given that the federal law is in limbo but eventually there will be some law at the federal level and that is sufficient for me. It just seems redundant to have a second layer of laws at the regional level with only minor differences from the federal law when the only problem with the federal law is that it is temporarily in question.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

I just don't think that this is something our region has to have a law on when there already is a federal law. Granted it's a weird time for this right now given that the federal law is in limbo but eventually there will be some law at the federal level and that is sufficient for me. It just seems redundant to have a second layer of laws at the regional level with only minor differences from the federal law when the only problem with the federal law is that it is temporarily in question.
But if the current federal law is in limbo, why can't we just establish a regional law to stay on the safe side? Yeah, it's layered, but why's that such a problem? It occurs all of the time.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »

But if the current federal law is in limbo, why can't we just establish a regional law to stay on the safe side? Yeah, it's layered, but why's that such a problem? It occurs all of the time.
Yeah, I'm not really against a regional law. What I meant with that one > was "Gass's bill is slightly better but Mr. X's is good too and I'm fine with it as a compromise".
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »

This is a very bad idea. Why are'nt the rights of perspective fathers factored in. To those who think its ok to abort in the third trimester, what do you get when a male and a female have relations? A human. How can you dispute something so obvious. If a mother seeks to terminiate why can't the potential father have the right to protect that baby? Simply because the left is in bed with a perverted form of feminism. Why isn't adoption also factored in? I urge strong oppksition to this bill.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »

I say we call to a vote Mr. X's compromise bill.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »

But if the federal law is in limbo, doesn't that prove the need for a regional law?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »

But if the federal law is in limbo, doesn't that prove the need for a regional law?

Drj101 has said he will support Mr. X's compromise, Mr. Speaker.

And JCL, that idea would allow rapists to stop their victims from getting an abortion in case of a pregnancy, using your logic.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »

I would certainly rather rely on set standards agreed to in this region rather than federal law, as this is an issue where I could see federal statue changing from time to time on, and we'd potentially have to make adjustments later for it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »

Drj101 has said he will support Mr. X's compromise, Mr. Speaker.

And JCL, that idea would allow rapists to stop their victims from getting an abortion in case of a pregnancy, using your logic.

Nope. This would be a situation where the church and the state can work together as an advocate for the right of that child to live. Under my interpretation, the rapist forefits those rights. Our current law regarding these matters is what needs to be kept and protected by any national intrusion. On an issue like this the regions must maintain their sovereignity. I believe there is the failure by elements of this body to consider the option of adoption.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »

I second this. It seems this compromise has broad support.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »

I second this. It seems this compromise has broad support.
Define "broad support". Personally, I remain opposed to his "compromise" - the second trimester is what is key to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies