MA: Repeal of the Mideast Abortion Statue II (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:26:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Repeal of the Mideast Abortion Statue II (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: MA: Repeal of the Mideast Abortion Statue II (Vetoed)  (Read 6688 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
« edited: January 06, 2013, 06:01:58 PM by Inks.LWC Supports Chuck Hagel »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Gass3268
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »

With this exact text, I will certainly veto this bill.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »

Does our current statute conflict with federal law?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »

Does our current statute conflict with federal law?

No.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »

Someone (Afleitch, I believe) actually sued the region on it, and former Superior Court Judge Franzl ruled in favor of the region.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »

Someone (Afleitch, I believe) actually sued the region on it, and former Superior Court Judge Franzl ruled in favor of the region.

The Court has previously ruled that the Mideast Abortion Statute II is not unconstitutional and does not violate federal statute.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »

Personally I feel like this is the appropriate step for our region. The current law is extremely invasive into the personal life of the mother. How do we know for sure that a woman that had abortion was raped or needed the procedure in order to live? Where does the burden of proof lie? If it's on the mother, that's scary. Also there has been a shift to the left in our region over the past few election cycles and our current abortion laws are too strict for the current political makeup of the Mideast. It does't even allow for incest as an exception! Lastly the new federal law restricts abortions past the third trimester, so this repeal won't allow for a total legalization of abortion in the region.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:10 AM »

When do you believe life begins?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »

I won't have much time to debate this bill today but I'd like to briefly state my support for it in its current form.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

I'll propose the following amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »

I want to take a moment to express my support for Assemblyman Gass3268's bill in its current form.  I also don't think that I can support Governor Tmthforu94's proposed amendment.  Section 3 of the proposed amendment is a deal-breaker for me and I have serious problems with section 1.  Section 2 would also be a deal-breaker in any proposal that included section 1.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

I also cannot support Governor Tmthforu94's amendment, as it does not do enough to satisfy the reasoning behind the original bill. 

Personally I believe that life begins at birth.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »

I also cannot support Governor Tmthforu94's amendment, as it does not do enough to satisfy the reasoning behind the original bill. 

So should we have any restrictions on abortion?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »

No, I don't think we need any restrictions, but if there absolutely needs to be some restrictions, the new Federal law is sufficient.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »

No, I don't think we need any restrictions, but if there absolutely needs to be some restrictions, the new Federal law is sufficient.
So you believe a woman at full-term should be able to walk in and have an abortion. Talk about extreme...
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »

So you believe a woman at full-term should be able to walk in and have an abortion. Talk about extreme...
I don't feel like it's my place to make that decision for the mother, that is her choice. Also the new federal law would prevent that from happening.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »

I don't feel like it's my place to make that decision for the mother, that is her choice. Also the new federal law would prevent that from happening.
Wow. If the fetus could survive outside the womb, which it almost certainly could at full-term, I find killing that fetus to be extremely inhumane, and it concerns me that we have legislators advocating for the right to do that.

The federal law is still in question, due to the argument of whether or not the President's veto is valid.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »

If the federal law is still in question, I'd be willing to copy the language of that bill into an amended version of our statue so we would have those same restrictions regardless of the legality of the federal law.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »

If the federal law is still in question, I'd be willing to copy the language of that bill into an amended version of our statue so we would have those same restrictions regardless of the legality of the federal law.
Then would we repeal the Mideast Abortion Statue, which is essentially the same as the law proposed?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

Then would we repeal the Mideast Abortion Statue, which is essentially the same as the law proposed?

I'm at an airport right now, when I get back my place I'll post an amended version of the bill.   
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »

The section of the Mideast Abortion Statute dealing with penalties is still a problem, so yes, I'd hope so.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »

The section of the Mideast Abortion Statute dealing with penalties is still a problem, so yes, I'd hope so.
Well, I believe an amendment would be required - Inks may have to step in here, but if we repealed a law repealing a law, wouldn't it put the original law back in place? The doctor's punishments are actually stiffer from the federal government than we have in the Mideast - here you can obtain your license after only five years.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »

This is a deeply personal issue to many- not just those in the Assembly- and there is a chance that a decision will be impossible to reach here.

If no side has a majority to pass or a consensus can't be reached in a week, why don't we strategically vote down the bill so the Governor can call a proposition vote on this bill for all Mideast citizens? If he is unwilling to do that, I'm sure 11 citizens can be rounded up in support of this legislation to put it to a vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 02:12:08 AM »

A proposition of what?  Either way, a lone repeal is certainly not the way to go.  The last time public opinion was sought, the voters voted to uphold the legislation.  It would be drastically irresponsible to repeal something without having a replacement in place.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 02:37:09 AM »

A proposition of what?  Either way, a lone repeal is certainly not the way to go.  The last time public opinion was sought, the voters voted to uphold the legislation.  It would be drastically irresponsible to repeal something without having a replacement in place.

A proposition to repeal the existing statute. And what's wrong with a lone repeal from a purely legislative viewpoint? Wouldn't the region just revert to the federal laws on this issue? I'm not saying I'm opposed to a replacement bill (e.g. if the bill is not repealed, I want to reduce the punishment for violation of this bill to a large degree), but right now, I don't see how it's irresponsible.

And just because this legislation was upheld in the past doesn't mean it will be now. Our region has become much more ideologically diverse and such a vote would likely be close.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies