Lincoln
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:13:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Lincoln
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln  (Read 2745 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »

What a great film... has any one else here seen it? I left the theater in awe...best depiction of Lincoln I've seen
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »

Saw it yesterday, actually. It was pretty good, but I felt that it lacked a degree of character exposition. That, and the end seemed a bit disjointed. I thought the scene where Thaddeus Stevens gave his housemaid the copy of the Amendment to be enough, we didn't need to see him get into bed with her to make the point (honestly, seeing him take off his hair was the bigger surprise). I honestly also think that the movie should had just ended with Lincoln riding in the carriage and then the inaugural address, we didn't need to hear that he had been shot (though that scene was a neat twist, expecting to get shot but it wasn't him there), nor did we need to see him die.

But the acting was great, just great, and overall it was a great film.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

Simfan- I enjoyed the focus Thaddeus STevens got...most of my schooling was in Pennsylvania and he was and is revered there- not so much down here in North Florida!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »

Great movie though a few of the scenes after the passage seemed a bit unnecessary.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:28:49 AM »

Loved it. Great film. I too found Stevens interesting & thought his quips to be particularly hilarious (did he say that stuff in real life?). I also liked the characters of Libcoln (duh), Bilbo, & Alexander Steffens. I found the "conservative Republican faction of the west and border states" interesting as well.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »

I sooooooo want to see this film (for obvious reasons)!  Smiley  Especially because it has Thaddeus Stevens in it!  I don't like the thought of him being portrayed as some sort of oaf, but it's worth it to see two of my Republican heroes.  Now all we need is Charles Sumner (is he in there?), and voila!  All of my dreams will then come true!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »

Stevens is portrayed as the complete opposite of an oaf, a clever whip is more like it. Sumner is not in it, no.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

Stevens is portrayed as the complete opposite of an oaf, a clever whip is more like it. Sumner is not in it, no.
Sumner is briefly featured... did you not pay attention, Simfan?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »

Sumner is briefly featured... did you not pay attention, Simfan?

Okay, it was an 11:30 showing!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »

Does it talk about his tenure as Rhode Island Governor?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »

Great movie, great acting.  I loved this movie.

What is abundantly clear in this portrayal is that the Democrats were the party whishing to hold onto the inhuman, deplorable practice of slavery, while the Republicans were the party championing the cause of abolition and freedom.

Thanks to Republican President Abraham Lincoln and Republican leadership in the House, the Thirteenth Amendment abolishing slavery was passed, over the violent objections of the Democrats, who wanted to keep blacks in chains. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »

What is abundantly clear in this portrayal is that the Democrats were the party whishing to hold onto the inhuman, deplorable practice of slavery, while the Republicans were the party championing the cause of abolition and freedom.

Thanks to Republican President Abraham Lincoln and Republican leadership in the House, the Thirteenth Amendment abolishing slavery was passed, over the violent objections of the Democrats, who wanted to keep blacks in chains. 

Wait a minute, I think I figured out what you and Oldiesfreak have been trying to tell the rest of the forum.  You guys were trying to tell us that since Mitt Romney is a Mormon and the Church of Latter Day Saints used to support polygamy and used to discriminate against African-Americans, Romney therefore supports polygamy and racial discrimination against African-Americans.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »

Wait a minute, I think I figured out what you and Oldiesfreak have been trying to tell the rest of the forum.  You guys were trying to tell us that since Mitt Romney is a Mormon and the Church of Latter Day Saints used to support polygamy and used to discriminate against African-Americans, Romney therefore supports polygamy and racial discrimination against African-Americans.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »

every once in a while a movie comes along that both of my divorced parents want to take me to see, individually.  I end up picking one and being the 'bad guy' to somebody; refusing to see it to avoid the criticism; seeing it stealthily, with neither; or seeing it with both, not alerting the second to the fact that I saw it previously.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »

every once in a while a movie comes along that both of my divorced parents want to take me to see, individually.  I end up picking one and being the 'bad guy' to somebody; refusing to see it to avoid the criticism; seeing it stealthily, with neither; or seeing it with both, not alerting the second to the fact that I saw it previously.

I take it this is one. So what did you do?

BTW you basically just listed all possible choices there.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

No, I am simply stating the facts of the matter as related to U.S. politics in the Civil War era, which featured pro slavery Democrats and abolitionist Republicans.

I do not relate this in the least to anything to do with the LDS Church or to Romney.

If you and Kalwejt wish to engage in wild, ridiculous, and stupid speculation, feel free to do so.

After all, thanks to early Republicans, everyone in America is now free to speak their own minds, even if it is completely misguided.   
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »

Winfield, there's clearly a reason you chose to emphasize that aspect of the movie and the history behind it above any number of others. Don't play dumb.

Anyway, the movie was excellent. Daniel Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones were both incredible, and I loved Sally Field, whom I'd not seen in much before.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »

I take it this is one. So what did you do?

I've been stalling
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »

It's a pretty amazing movie, though I wish there was more discussion in the reviews about the fact that Lincoln effectively condoned mass bribery to get what he wanted.  Obviously, I don't hold it against him (especially since the spoils system was what it was in the pre-reform era), but I'd like to hear some people discuss their thoughts on Honest Abe.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

I think the movie presents a division between the Lincoln that other politicians see and the Lincoln that people like the Missourians and the various soldiers see, which is also a duality within Lincoln himself. (I might have more to say on this when I'm not running between classes.)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »

Just got back from seeing it.  Excellent film, great acting.  A few of the scenes are a little overdone, overdramatized, maybe.  But, on the whole, it was a wonderful movie.  BTW, I watched it Halifax, Nova Scotia, and when the credits started rolling, the audience broke out into applause. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

It's a pretty amazing movie, though I wish there was more discussion in the reviews about the fact that Lincoln effectively condoned mass bribery to get what he wanted.  Obviously, I don't hold it against him (especially since the spoils system was what it was in the pre-reform era), but I'd like to hear some people discuss their thoughts on Honest Abe.

I have not seen the film, but per my readings, Lincoln was a remarkably modern politician. He worked the precincts and the interest groups to put together an electoral college victory in a way that reminds me of Obama. He even bought a German language newspaper in Springfield, Illinois to cut into the German vote in order to carry the state.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

He even bought a German language newspaper in Springfield, Illinois to cut into the German vote in order to carry the state.

Also a nice way to repudiate the charge of opponents that he was a covert "Know Nothing."
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »

What would be their reactions if you suggested that all three of you go see it together?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »

What would be their reactions if you suggested that all three of you go see it together?

wouldn't be taken seriously.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies