2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 82
Author Topic: 2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 152374 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 24, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
« edited: November 24, 2012, 06:19:07 PM by LumineVonReuental »

Newt Gingrich - Iraq Debate Answers:

1. - To put it simple: Success is being achieved and victory is possible, that's what I believe.
Now, I think the administration mismanaged parts of the Iraq War. But what I'm worried about is people who say we can just legislate a defeat for America. If we leave Iraq in the middle of a civil war and completely destroyed, the Middle East will just become more and more unstable, ripe for the Iranians to take over the country. Then we will be defeated publicly in a way that every terrorist on the planet could celebrate, and then we would have to assume that they're going to have more energy and more recruits and the war is going to become more dangerous.

2. - Look, the Commander-in-Chief has a very hard job deciding what to do with the troops. I know many people think of me as insensitive for advocating a slower withdrawal, but I was an army kid, my father fought in the Vietnam War and I traveled along military bases as a kid. I know how hard is to think that your own father can die in any minute, and that's why my plan is to reduce our presence by a third by 2012. I don't want to set a date for complete withdrawal, since the situation there quickly evolves, and it would be irresponsible for a Commander-in-Chief to pull out without even being sure that Iraq is a stable country.

3.-Not right now, but there is one country that is potentially dangerous to the United States: Iran. Iran is one of the reasons why our presence in Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan is necessary, so we can keep an eye on them and gather the necessary data to determine how much weapons they have, considering they want to have nuclear weapons. Just think about how aggressive the country is to our nation's interest, that idea alone makes me strongly believe that we should be ready to attack if they pose a real imminent threat, but we will only know that by having correct data about the country.

4. - The reason of my views on Iraq? 9-11. At the precise minute I understood that we were under attack, I knew that we had to do something. As it turns out, we did a lot of things. We went to Afghanistan to hunt down Al Qaeda, and when Iraq proved to be supportive of our enemies and openly aggressive towards us, I just had to remind myself of 9-11 to think that I never wanted to see anything like that in my life.

To sum up my points about the future: We need to bring democracy to countries that have suffered the madness that comes with a savage dictator as Saddam Hussein. Iraq needs to be rebuilt and also needs a strong democracy to be a fully stable country, and America is going to deliver that change. A democratic and stable Iraq means a safer Middle East, and a chaotic Iraq allied with Iran and associated with the insurgents in Afghanistan means another 9-11, in one way or another.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #226 on: November 24, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 05:37:32 PM by Maxwell »

1. I hold my view because its the right thing to do. Iraq didn't attack us on 9/11, why should we focus so much of our resources towards forcing something on people when our whole country was founded on our own voluntary idea that democracy should be held. We don't need to be killing more people without a purpose over there. I feel we need to get out of Iraq because we need to focus our mission on those who actually caused 9/11, and thats why we need our troops more in Afghanistan.

2. I would withdraw our troops from Iraq as soon as I can. Now, I don't want to do it to a point where the troops on the ground are in serious danger, but I don't want them to be away from their families and their country they fought for any longer than they have to.

3. Now, I would support a full withdraw of our troops from almost all places of our military action if we fix the Afghanistan situation quickly and catch Osama Bin Laden. I don't think we really need to be hanging around the Middle East anymore, its just going to cause more trouble. Instead, we need to focus on making more free trade agreements so we can improve our economic prospects and friendships across the globe.

4. Iraq was founded on a fundamentally false pretense, that Saddam Hussein had some sort of linkage to 9/11. When we found out he wasn't, we found another false pretense to fight under. What we need now is the truth. That this isn't going anywhere, that being there any longer will hurt our stature across the globe and at home, and we aren't getting any closer to the real issue. I base my view on Iraq on the truth.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »

Chuck Hagel Schedule

October 29, 2007
-Rally in Concord, New Hampshire
-Fundraiser in Manchester, New Hampshire
-Appearance on Hardball with Chris Matthews

October 30, 2007
- Breakfast with John E. Sununu (seeking endorsement)
- Town Hall in Rochester, New Hampshire
- Meet and Greet in Nashua, New Hampshire
- Rally in Derry, New Hampshire

October 31, 2007
- Rally in Cheyenne, Wyoming with Alan Simpson
- Meet and Greet in Capser, Wyoming
- Fundraiser in Jackson, Wyoming
- Rally in Cody, Wyoming with Alan Simpson

November 1, 2007
- Breakfast with Charlie Crist (seeking endorsement)
- Fundraiser in Tampa Florida
- Town Hall in Orlando, Florida
- Town Hall in Gainsville, Florida

November 2, 2007
- Meet and Greet in Reno, Nevada
- Fundraiser in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Rally in Carson City, Nevada
- Appearance on Your World with Neil Cavuto

November 3, 2007
- Fundraiser in Los Angeles, California
- Rally in Anaheim, California
- Rally in Sacramento, California
- Meet and Greet in Sacramento, California

November 4, 2007
- Rally in Ames, Iowa
- Town Hall in Des Moines, Iowa
- Town Hall in Sioux City, Iowa
- Appearance on Meet The Press
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »

Ron Paul debate answers.
1. Besides the fact that war was undeclared to begin with, we have no business there. They have not attacked us, they posed no threat to us, and they had nothing against us. We went into Iraq to find nonexistent nuclear weapons and gained nothing but thousands of dead soldiers, and a nation that was once fairly prosperous is now destroyed because of us. Whole new generations of Iraqi children are now growing up hating us, and that will only lead to problems down the road. Our men and women are coming home mentally scarred and physically maimed, and for what?

2. We just marched in, and under my administration, we will just march out. I am tired of hearing about “getting the job done” and “instability in the region” and what have you, because it’s all a bunch of fear mongering and big talk. It is simply put, none of our business, and it has no direct affect on us. Speaker Gingrich, I am ashamed to hear a man so obviously intelligent as you call not only for the continuation of the Iraq war, but a military strike on Iran. It takes a veteran to know the horrors of war. I went to Vietnam, and was very, very luck to be operating on those wounded and maimed soldiers instead of being them. But, Speaker Gingrich, you got student deferments and stayed home. Why do you believe we should be there, when you won’t go yourself?

3. None what so ever. The only place we should have our military is here at home. Look at the Southern border. We should be patrolling that border, not the Iran-Iraq border.

4. My opinions on Iraq are based off of my conservative, limited government philosophy. We have no reason to be there, and we have no reason to remain there. And everyone up on stage tonight, Democrat or Republican, anti war or pro war, conservative or liberal, knows this deep down in their hearts.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »

Newt Gingrich's Schedule: From October 29 to November 4, 2007:

October 29: Fly to Iowa, Barnstorming, Town Hall Meeting with Senator Blanche Lincoln.
October 30: Barnstorm and Bus Tour in Iowa.
October 31: Barnstorm in Michigan, appearance in "On the Record" with Greta Van Susteren.
November 1: Fly to South Carolina, speech about the "War of Words" in Charleston.
November 2: Barnstorm, Bus Tour in South Carolina.
November 3: Bus tour in Florida, speech in Jacksonville about immigration reform, Town Hall Meeting in Appalachicola with Senator John McCain.
November 4: Strategy Meetings with Karl Rove about the state of the campaign, rest during the afternoon in Florida.

Gingrich's comments in "On the Record"Sad

I think my campaign is in a great minute: We are opening new offices in all of the early states, we have a decent amount of money and we have the endorsements of Vice President Cheney, Governor Perry, Senators Thompson, Frist and DeMint and the support of Karl Rove, whom I would like to thank for his unexpected endorsement.

New ads designed by Gingrich and paid by Karl Rove:

Ad Nº2 - Will air in Iowa, Michigan and South Carolina.
Ad Nº3 - Will air in Nevada, Florida and New Hampshire.

Note: Please excuse me for the “Newt 2012”, from next week I will start making my own ads.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 07:11:25 PM by Senator Snowstalker »

Governor Howard Dean's Schedule from October 29th, 2007 to November 4th, 2007:

October 29th:

-Breakfast with Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin in Madison, Wisconsin (seeking endorsement)
-Meet & Greet in Waukon, Iowa
-Rally in Independence, Iowa

October 30th:

-Town Hall in Waterloo, Iowa
-Rally in Marengo, Iowa
-Rally in Keokuk, Iowa

October 31st:

-Meet & Greet in Knoxville, Iowa
-Town Hall in Des Moines, Iowa
-Rally in Minburn, Iowa

November 1st:

-Fundraiser in Las Vegas, Nevada
-Appearance on The Daily Show

November 2nd:

-Town Hall in Deerfield, New Hampshire
-Rally in Madbury, New Hampshire
-Meet & Greet in Hart's Location, New Hampshire

November 3rd:

-Rally in Hanover, New Hampshire
-Meet & Greet in Cornish, New Hampshire
-Town Hall in Concord, New Hampshire

November 4th:

-Rally in Rock Hill, South Carolina
-Town Hall in Columbia, South Carolina
-Rally in Orangeburg, South Carolina
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »

Press Release from the McCain Campaign
Senator McCain would like to thank Governor Romney for his recent endorsement.  We look forward to having him work with us on the campaign trail as we fight for traditional values, fiscal responsibility, and for putting our country first.

Senator McCain's Debate Answers
1. As you may know, I served nearly forty years ago in Vietnam, in a situation similar to the one we face now in Iraq.  Back then, people said that Vietnam was a quagmire and that we couldn't win, and now, many are saying the same thing about Iraq.  While I certainly sympathize with those people, I believe we should stay in Iraq until the job is done.  Senator Gravel pointed out that Iraq didn't attack us on 9/11, and he is correct.  But that's not a reason that we shouldn't be fighting there.  In World War II, the Germans didn't attack us at Pearl Harbor either, but they posed a threat to the peace and security of both America and the rest of the world.  We had to fight them.  If Great Britain had fallen to the Nazis, they would have had control over all of Europe and very well could have won the war.  Iraq is as relevant to protecting our national security as Afghanistan, and both conflicts deserve our efforts.
2. If I am elected, I will withdraw troops as soon as the commanders on the ground believe that it is safe to do so.  To pull out before the job is done would be both reckless and a sign of weakness to America's enemies.  Nobody likes war, but I think we can agree that war has at times been very necessary to maintain the long-term peace and security of the world.  I do hope, however, that we will be able to start reducing our presence gradually based on the situation on the ground. 
3. I believe that our primary focus should be on Iraq and Afghanistan, but I do believe that we should stand firm against Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Venezuela, since all those nations pose a threat to national and global security.  I don't think we should get into another all-out war, but a military presence in case of an actual war should be considered.
4. My views are based on the current situation in Iraq.  Since the situation  is not yet stable, I do not believe we should be setting a timetable for withdrawal now.  There is stil a major terrorist presence in Iraq, and we should continue to fight against it as we continue our efforts in Afghanistan.  I also base my views on reports from the commanders on the ground and the intelligence we have received from various government agencies.  I certainly sympathize, however, with the suffering of many of the people and will take that into account while shaping my policy as president.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Gravel Debate Statement
Assuming I get a 30-second rebuttal of some kind

Senator McCain said that Germany didn't attack us at Pearl Harbor, and he's correct. However, the government of Germany formally declared war against the government and the people of the United States of America. Iraq never did that. He says Germany posed a threat to the peace and security of America, and he's correct, Germany did. Iraq, however, did not and does not. We had no reason to go to war in Afghanistan, as they, unlike Germany, posed no threat to the United States or her interests.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Senator McCain's Campaign Schedule, October 29-November 4, 2007
October 29, 2007
-Breakfast with Congressman Steve King
-Townhall/meet & greet in Iowa City, Iowa
-Rally in Boone, Iowa
-Fundraiser in Burlington, Iowa
-Fundraiser/rally in Council Bluffs, Iowa

October 30, 2007
-Townhall in Kensington, New Hampshire
-Townhall/rally in Rollinsford, New Hampshire
-Lunch with John H. Sununu
-Townhall/meet & greet in Pembroke, New Hampshire

October 31, 2007
-Fundraiser/rally in Columbia, South Carolina
-Townhall in North, South Carolina
-Fundraiser in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
-Dinner with Senators Jim DeMint and Lindsey Graham

November 1, 2007
-Rally in Grinnell, Iowa
-Townhall in Mount Pleasant, Iowa
-Townhall/meet & greet in West Branch, Iowa
-Rally in Newton, Iowa

November 2, 2007
-Rally in North Haverhill, New Hampshire
-Townhall in Littleton, New Hampshire
-Townhall/meet & greet in Campton, New Hampshire
-Townhall in Hebron, New Hampshire
-Rally in Franconia, New Hampshire

November 3, 2007
-Breakfast with Mel Martinez
-Fundraiser in Tallahassee, Florida
-Townhall with Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in Appalachicola, Florida
-Rally in Navarre, Florida

November 4, 2007
-Fundraiser in Davenport, Iowa
-Rally in Maquoketa, Iowa
-Townhall in Muscatine, Iowa
-Townhall/meet & greet in Vinton, Iowa

Knives
solopop
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »

I don't think responses are appropriate.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »

Senator McCain's Second Campaign Ad
Scheduled to air in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and Florida.

(Pictures of troops in Iraq)
McCain: As our troops continue the struggle in Iraq, I believe we need a leader who understands the problems we face there and considers the entire situation, regardless of the political expedience.  Chuck Hagel has served honorably beside me in the Senate, but his attacks on my record are uncalled for.  Although I supported the surge, I recognize that it worked, and it is helping us to end the war in the long run by stabilizing the region.  Senator Hagel can attack me all he wants, but I will not back down.  I'm John McCain, and I approve this message because I believe America need leadership that does what is right rather than what's popular.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »

Chuck Hagel at a Press Conference

Reporter A: Senator Hagel, Senator McCain has attacked your position on Iraq as "politically expedient" what is your response to this?

Hagel: Well, As McCain said to me, I do respect his tenure as a Senator, but that is just inaccurate. We were facing a crisis during the few years after 9/11, so I did originally vote in favor of the War effort. However, as soon as we got into the mission, we did not have a clear strategy, and as a result, we are in the middle of a huge mess, a mess where our original intentions were proven factually incorrect. It wasn't because I was politically expedient that my mind changed on the issue, it was because I got the facts.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

Mike Gravel Campaign Schedule

October 29th:

-Kickoff of Iowa 'Mississippi bus tour in Fort Madison, Iowa
-Rally in Burlington, Iowa
-Speech in Muscatine, Iowa
Look, if you want someone who voted for the War in Iraq, you have Clinton and Lincoln. If you want someone who didn't even show up to vote on Senator Lieberman's resolution that would allow President Bush to go to war with Iran, you've got Obama. If you want someone who voted for that resolution, you've got Clinton. If you want someone with a consistent, principled record of opposing these senseless wars, you've got Howard and me, and I'll admit, I'm a big fan of Gov. Dean and I think he'd make a fine President. But I think if you look at the candidates, the number one candidate, who stood in the Senate against Vietnam and is standing before you now against Iraq, is me.
-Meet & greet in Davenport, Iowa

October 30th:

-Meet & greet in Clinton, Iowa
-Rally in Dubuque, Iowa
-Rally in Mason City, Iowa
-Meet & greet in Cedar Falls, Iowa

October 31st:
-Speech in Waterloo, Iowa
How many of you like paying income taxes? Sounds good, because under President Gravel, none of you would have to pay any income taxes. Our income tax code is punched full of holes, exceptions, incentives, and just plain giveaways to the 30,000 lobbyists in Washington. The tax code costs the private sector $270 billion in compliance alone. I served eight years on the Senate Finance Committee, and if you elect me, I'll pass the Fair Tax. The Fair Tax would change America from a nation of spenders to a nation of savers. Instead of having an exception-fueled incomprehensible tax code, we'll have a simple, transparent national sales tax. It's simple, it's transparent, and there's no exceptions for the special interests. If you vote for me, you'll see lower taxes, and who doesn't want more money in their pocket?
-Rally in Marshalltown, Iowa
-Trick-or-treating with families in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

November 1st:
-Rally in Iowa City, Iowa
-Meet & greet in Oskaloosa, Iowa
-Meet & greet in Ottumwa, Iowa

November 2nd:
-Rally in Concord, New Hampshire alongside Rep. Paul Hodes
-Rally in Laconia, New Hampshire alongside Gov. John Lynch
-Appearance on Hannity and Colmes

November 3rd:
-Rally in Keene, NH
-Meet & greet in Claremont, NH
-Meet & greet in Lebanon, NH
-Speech on LGBT rights in Berlin, NH
I support same-sex marriage. As President, I will repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, and will veto any law presented to me that allows discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. I also oppose the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, as it appears to restrict the rights of gay Americans. It's been proposed that we amend the Constitution to define marriage; I am not an opponent of that per se, but I will oppose any amendment that attempts to restrict the rights of any community of Americans.

November 4th:
-Telephone interview on The Neal Boortz Show (seeking endorsement)
-Rally in Manchester, NH
-Telephone interview for The Ed Schultz Show
-Fundraiser in Nashua, NH
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »

November 3rd, Town Hall in Concord, NH:

Voter: Governor, 45 million Americans, including myself and my family, currently lack health care insurance. What do you plan to do as president to ensure universal health insurance coverage?

Dean: The fact that 15% of people lack health insurance in a first-world nation is nearly criminal. Now, in Vermont, Governor Madeleine Kunin implemented a program called Dr. Dynasaur. The state of Vermont would use public funds to provide health care to pregnant women with incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level, and for children with family incomes at up to 225% of the federal poverty level.

When I was Governor, we extended this to children in households making up to 300% of the federal poverty level. All this was done while keeping a balanced budget. With that sort of success, I hope to push through Congress a plan to extend Medicare for all Americans to give us something most developed nations take for granted; a public, universal health care system.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2012, 08:58:31 PM »

October 29th-November 4th starts now.

Democratic Polling

Iowa-
Obama 35%
Clinton 27%
Lincoln 8%
Dean 8%
Gravel 7%
Henry 4%
Biden 3%
Matheson 2%
Winfrey 2%

New Hampshire-
Clinton 34%
Winfrey 27%
Dean 23%
Gravel 5%
Biden 4%
Matheson 3%
Lincoln 2%
Henry 2%
Obama 1%

Nevada-
Obama 26%
Clinton 25%
Matheson 18%
Gravel 6%
Henry 5%
Biden 2%
Dean 2%
Winfrey 1%

South Carolina-
Winfrey 26%
Clinton 26%
Lincoln 16%
Henry 8%
Dean 8%
Gravel 5%
Biden 4%
Matheson 2%
Obama 1%
You forgot something Cool
As Sen. Biden realizes that he has no realistic shot at winning, he drops out and endorses the next President of the United States, Barack Obama!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »

October 29th-November 4th starts now.

Democratic Polling

Iowa-
Obama 35%
Clinton 27%
Lincoln 8%
Dean 8%
Gravel 7%
Henry 4%
Biden 3%
Matheson 2%
Winfrey 2%

New Hampshire-
Clinton 34%
Winfrey 27%
Dean 23%
Gravel 5%
Biden 4%
Matheson 3%
Lincoln 2%
Henry 2%
Obama 1%

Nevada-
Obama 26%
Clinton 25%
Matheson 18%
Gravel 6%
Henry 5%
Biden 2%
Dean 2%
Winfrey 1%

South Carolina-
Winfrey 26%
Clinton 26%
Lincoln 16%
Henry 8%
Dean 8%
Gravel 5%
Biden 4%
Matheson 2%
Obama 1%
You forgot something Cool
As Sen. Biden realizes that he has no realistic shot at winning, he drops out and endorses the next President of the United States, Barack Obama!

Poo Tongue I'll include it in the next update Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

Gravel Ad #7
Set to air in Iowa, Nevada, and New Hampshire

(opens to dark pictures from the Iraq occupation)
Announcer: 61% of Americans believe we should have stayed out of Iraq. Why doesn't Senator Clinton realize this? She voted for the Iraq War. She claimed Saddam Hussein gave assistance to al-Qaeda members. Anyone who had access to the intelligence the Senators did at the time should have known better. No one who voted to cause the deaths of thousands of innocent people is qualified to be President.
(opens to bright, happy pictures of Mike Gravel)
There is a better option. There is a Presidential candidate who wants to keep our troops out of harm's way, the only Democratic candidate to have served in the military, a candidate who has spoken up against these senseless wars ever since he filibustered in the Senate against the draft in Vietnam. There is a candidate who will bring our troops home: Mike Gravel.
I'm Mike Gravel, and I approve this message
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »

Debate Response to Congressman Paul:

Gingrich: Look, I respect Congressman Paul for serving in Vietnam and trying to help his country and fellow soldiers, and I think he raised a reasonable point about politicians who talk about things they haven't done. However, I've been saying since 1985 that I made a mistake about not serving in Vietnam, and that given the political beliefs I have I should have gone to fight for my country. But even if I had made the correct choice my position would be the same about America's stance in the world. We cannot allow another 9-11 to happen, we cannot allow American civilians to die because of terrorist attacks. And if we have to stay in Iraq to bring stability to the Middle East, I say that we have to stay in Iraq!

November 1st, Rally in Charleston, SC:

(Gingrich in the middle of a speech to a big crowd)

Gingrich: While I acknowledge that the attack ads and statements are more diplomatic in tone now, we have to face it, all of us have been dragged into a war of words! There are very few candidates left who hadn't attacked other candidates, and in that context I would like to thank Senator Lincoln and Senator McCain, candidates who hosted or are to host Town Hall Meetings with me and that have refrained from the negative campaigning.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 06:06:08 PM by You're Welcome Obama »

1. Why do you hold the view we should stay in/leave Iraq?
"As Governor Dean reminded you, I stated in 2002 that I'm not opposed to all wars. But I am opposed to a dumb war and a rash war. That still holds true. The incursion in Iraq is just that. We went into Iraq to find and destroy Weapons of Mass Destruction. Senator Clinton voted to go into Iraq to find those WMDs. But there was one problem. There were none. Now, 5 years after that startling revelation we are still there. Our troops are dying. The Iraqi people are suffering. The Taliban and al-Quaeda are strengthening. And President Bush is twiddling his thumbs. It's time to bring 'em home and bring 'me home now."-Senator Obama

2. If elected when would you withdraw troops from Iraq?
"In January, I introduced the Iraq War De-Escalation Act. It would've stopped the surge in its tracks and begun redeployment of our troops from the country by March of next year. But because of Republican intransigence, it has died. As your President, I will bring our troops home in time for the Christmas Holidays in 2009, with a date set for December 24th, 2009. What better gift, than a mother or father returning home?"- Senator Obama

3. Are there other countries besides Iraq that need our military involvement?
"Iraq doesn't need our military involvement. But Afghanistan does. That is the great failure of this administration. A wild goose chase in Iraq has taken their eyes off the ball to the real and important war against the Taliban and al-Quaeda. Osama bin Laden is still out there. We need to focus the War on Terror into Afghanistan. We need find and kill him, finish training the Afghan troops to defend themselves and continue to make sure their Government is stable. And then, when we accomplish that mission, we will bring the troops home from Afghanistan."- Senator Obama

4. What do you base your views on Iraq on? (poor children, terrorism, infrastructure building, you get the picture.....)
"We cannot afford to nation build overseas when we have suffering and hardship at home. While we spend billions on this costly and ineffective war in Iraq, China is rebuilding their roads and bridges. Their educating their children to compete in the global market. While we spend billions on this war, millions of Americans are starving or strugling to afford health insurance. While we fight, our relations with France, Germany and Canada continue to be strained, and our stature on the world stage negates itself. While we fight, Iraqi citizens, children, mothers and families die.
It's time to focus on rebuilding here. It's time to focus on providing affordable and universal health care here. It's time to focus on educating our youth, to compete in the global economy. It's time to focuse on our relationships with our allies around the world. And its time to come home."
- Senator Obama

Barack Obama's Schedule for the Week of October 29th

10/22/2007
-Rally in Ames, Iowa with Bill Richardson
-Rally in Clinton, Iowa with Tom Daschle
-Meet and Greet in Oelwein, Iowa with Joe Biden
-Meet and Greet in Decorah, Iowa with Joe Biden
-Rally in Cedar Falls, Iowa with Ted Kennedy

10/23/2007
-Rally in Bettendorf, Iowa
-Rally in Indianola, Iowa with Ted Kennedy
-Rally in Fort Dodge, Iowa with Ted Kennedy
-Rally at Iowa State University with Joe Biden
-Town Hall in Marion, Iowa

10/24/2007
-Rally in Marshalltown, Iowa with Bill Richardson
-Town Hall in Johnston, Iowa with Tom Daschle
-Town Hall in Marion, Iowa with Ted Kennedy
-Rally in Newton, Iowa with Dick Durbin
-Rally at University of Iowa with Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, Dick Durbin, Tom Dadchle, and Ted Kennedy
-Flight to Nevada

10/25/2007
-Rally in Las Vegas, Nevada with Bill Richardson
-Town Hall in Silver Springs, Nevada with Bill Richardson
-Rally at College of Southern Nevada
-Rally in Clark, Nevada
-Interview With Stephen Colbert
-Meeting With Fmr. Governor Bob Miller and Secretary of State Ross Miller
-Fundraiser in Las Vegas Nevada

10/26/2007
-Rally in Spring Valley, Nevada
-Rally in Sunrise Manor, Nevada
-Rally in Winchester, Nevada with Bill Richardson
-Flight to California
-Meeting With George Clooney
-Meeting With Morgan Freeman
-Appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher

10/27/2007
-Fundraiser in Los Angeles, California
-Meeting With Senator Diane Feinstein
-Meeting With Senator Barbara Boxer
-Flight to Iowa
-Meet and Greet in Altoona, Iowa
-Rally in Sioux City, Iowa
-Rally in Des Mones, Iowa
-Flight to Illinois
-Alone Time With Michelle Wink

10/28/2007
-No Public Events Planned
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2012, 12:02:12 AM by You're Welcome Obama »

Obama Speech At University of Iowa
"Senator Clinton recently stated that we're in Iraq for quote, a "Good Reason". Well Senator, I'm sure America disagrees with you. We're in Iraq because we were lied to by Dick Cheney and George Bush. Do you think that's a "Good Reason"?
*Crowd- "No!"
"The Senator says we should keep a small presence in Iraq to nation-build. Is that a "Good Reason"?
*Crowd- "No!"
"In 2003, she voted to go in, now she's flip-flopped wants to leave. Is that a "Good Reason" to make her our nominee?
*Crowd- "No!"
"Do you want to bring all our troops home?"

*Crowd- "Yes!"
"Will Hillary Clinton do it?"

*Crowd- "No!"
"Who will?"

*Crowd "You"
"What do you want?"

*Crowd- "We Want CHANGE! We Want CHANGE! We Want CHANGE! We Want CHANGE!
"Will Senator Clinton bring us the Change We Need?"
*Crowd- "No!"
"Will Governor Dean bring us the Change We Need?"
*Crowd- "No!"
"Will Ms. Winfrey bring us the Change We Need?"
*Crowd- "No!"
"Who is gonna bring America the Change that it needs?"

*Crowd- "OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2012, 11:49:42 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2012, 12:09:04 AM by drj101 »

The reason we need to bring our troops home from Iraq is simple: we cannot have Americans dying for a war that is not making us any safer. Saddam Hussein is gone, and we know now that he did not have weapons of mass destruction and did not have any ties to Al Qaeda. Senator Clinton has said there is a "good reason" we are in Iraq today. The truth is exactly the opposite. There is no good reason why we need to keep troops in Iraq for God knows how much longer. I will not have Americans giving their lives for no good reason.

As soon as possible. Obviously withdrawal takes time and cannot be done in a week, but that's no excuse to drag this war our longer and longer. As President, I promise that we will bring home every soldier serving in Iraq by the end of the year 2009 at the latest, and I will work with our generals and officers to develop a plan that brings them home sooner than that if at all possible.

One of the problems with Iraq has been that we do not have a clear mission there. Wars without a clear objective drag on and on, as we've seen. But there is one place where we have a clear objective and that is Afghanistan. Our objective there is to hunt down Osama Bin Laden and the people who attacked us on September 11th. That is something I am absolutely dedicated to achieving as President.

But we have to be clear about the limits of our mission in Afghanistan. Our goal there is to hunt down Al Qaeda, not to occupy the country and build a new nation. Some of the other candidates in this race including supposedly anti-war candidates like Senator Obama and Governor Dean have said that we need to refocus on Afghanistan, to devote even more resources to nation building projects such as training the Afghan military and police and improving Afghanistan's infrastructure. I believe this is fundamentally wrong. We have enough bridges that need repairing here in America, we can't afford to be rebuilding Afghan bridges too. As President, I will hunt down Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden and then bring our troops home from Afghanistan, nothing more, nothing less.

4. What do you base your views on Iraq on? (poor children, terrorism, infrastructure building, you get the picture.....)

I base my views on Iraq on the very real impacts that this war has had on the lives of Americans. There is a saying that the death of one man is a tragedy, the death of a million is just a statistic. We cannot let the 3000 and counting Americans who have given their lives in Iraq become just a statistic.
[applause]
That is 3000 families torn apart, 3000 widows and widowers, 3000 children who will be growing up without their mom or dad. That is the human cost of this war that President Bush started and Senator Clinton voted for. That is why I firmly and passionately believe that we need to bring our troops home.

Campaign Schedule

Oct 22:
Rest

Oct 23:
Speech focusing on seniors issues and healthcare in Naples, FL
As President, I will protect Social Security from Republican plans to privatize it. I will close the Medicare Donut Hole and pass comprehensive healthcare reform guarateeing that EVERY American has access to healthcare
Rally in Tampa, FL

Oct 24:
Rally in Tallahassee, FL
Meet troops/tour Naval Air Station in Pensacola, FL
Rally in Montgomery, AL

Oct 25:
Rally in Augusta, GA with attendees from neighboring areas in SC
Town Hall in Dentsville SC
Meet and Greet in Camden, SC

Oct 26:
Town Hall in Sumter SC
Rally in Myrtle Beach SC
Fundraiser in Myrtle Beach

Oct 27:
Rally in Portsmouth, NH
Fundraiser in Brookline, MA

Oct 28:
Town Hall in Salem, NH
Rally in Nashua, NH
Town Hall in Laconia, NH
Knives
solopop
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2012, 04:51:30 AM »

I'd like to thank my fellow potential nominees for joining me today and I'd like to thank Harvard for letting us host this debate. However before we begin, I'd like to remind everyone we need to stop calling this a war - it isn't, there was no deceleration of war and by calling it a war you make our loyal troops sound like warmongers which is just horrible. Moving on,  I think we should leave Iraq and I believe my message has been completely manipulated by Governor Dean and Senator Obama. I believe the majority of troops should leave Iraq, we've been there long enough and the amount of troops still remaining in Iraq is extremely high. I'd support a major withdrawal from Iraq while leaving around 12 thousand troops in Iraq. I don't support a full withdrawal because if we did, we'd leave Iraq in a factional civil war between the Sunnis and the Shi'as which would compromise the stability in the region we'v created since going into Iraq. We'd seen thousands of people die and if we failed to hold a fair election we could see once again a Saddam like figure rise up who would be oppressive and evil. This would create an unstable region and threaten our sovereignty. Staying in Iraq is vital for the security of the region and the world. We can't leave, the human toll would just be so high, and the fact that people like Senator Obama and Governor Dean - people who haven't even been to Iraq are telling those over there what is best, is just downright insulting.

Major withdrawals starting mid-2009 and aiming to keep a permanent force in Iraq for regional stability and to ensure that all civilians will have the opportunity to decide the course for the country and won't be forced away because of a factional civil war in their hometowns.

Obviously our mission in Afghanistan is important to our sovereignty and the sovereignty of all nations in the world, this has been laid out for all you to see. Apart from that, an area in the world I see major danger in is Western Africa and particularly Guinea-Bissau. Guinea-Bissau is a nation that needs the support of the United States because at the moment Mexican and Colombian Cartels have infiltrated every level of government and effectively run the country, I'd suggest a small peace keeping force enter the nation to help get vital health and education services to the nation and to end the stranglehold the cartels have on the nation, because if we are able to that it would cut the cartel's who are also a threat to US sovereignty profits in half as their route to Europe would be cut off.

Shaima Mohammed, she's an Iraqi mother of four whose husband converted to Sunni and was later murdered by the Shi'as in the town. She fears this kind of tragedy will destroy her nation, and that's my fear as well. Then there is Yanar Alhimdi, she wants to have a say on the future of her country but fears if she went to vote, she'd be murdered by the religious mobs who she believes would rise up again once the US left. These are people I've met and my opponents will never have known existed. We must stay in Iraq, for the stability of the region, the world and the United States.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »

October 29, 2007

- Rest in New York City, NY
- Fundraiser at night with Dianne Feinstein and Al Gore

October 30, 2007

- Fly into Des Moines, IA
- Speech at Drake University on Healthcare

"For so long, I've been working to get all Americans, rich or poor healthcare. I've been doing this before I was even a senator because I understand what America needs, we need universal healthcare to ensure the longevity of our nation and to increase the productivity of our work force. We need universal healthcare to ensure that your 80 year old cancer stricken mother isn't kicked out of hospital because she doesn't have insurance. WE NEED CHANGE! AND I HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON, PROMISE YOU CHANGE!"

CROWD STARTS CHANTING 'CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE'

October 31, 2007

- Rally in Clinton, IA
- Unveiling of statue of Bill in Clinton, IA
- Town hall in Ames, IA

November 1, 2007

- Meet and Greet in Deerfield, NH
- Rally in Concord, NH
- Town hall in Concord, NH

November 2, 2007

- Town hall in Littleton, NH
- Meet & Greet in Rock Hill, SC
- Dinner with state Dems

November 3, 2007

- Rally in Columbia, SC
- Speech on clean energy at University of SC in Columbia, SC

"The price of oil is sky rocketing, and as the thirst for oil in the US grows, the pocket of the average American gets a lot lighter. That's why we need to invest in wind, solar, hydroelectric and other resources of energy to end our dependence on foreign oil and to create millions of new jobs in America."

November 4, 2007

- Meet & Greet in Carson, NV
- Town hall in Carson , NV
- Fundraiser with Bill as host in Las Vegas, NV

Knives
solopop
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »

Hillary Clinton meme goes viral

A meme with a very 'cool' Hillary Clinton has gone viral turning her into a social media phenomenon.

Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »

Hillary Clinton meme goes viral

A meme with a very 'cool' Hillary Clinton has gone viral turning her into a social media phenomenon.

As hillarious as this is, does this fit into and happen in the campaign, or were you just (successfully) being funny.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies