2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:37:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 82
Author Topic: 2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 152757 times)
deliriumipa
sirnick
YaBB God
France
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »

BIll Richardson is too busy to play. Bill Richardson drops out and endorses Barack Obama as IRL
I love you sirnick. This gives me the boost I need in Nevada, Michigan, and Florida.

You can't just make up your own boosts.

That'd be like me saying Hillary received a boost in polls after she received the endorsement of Osama bin Laden.
Duh. A guy can dream though cant he?  Ut like Republicans have proved over the past 4 years; maybe if you say something enough, people will believe it.

I just don't have the time to follow this often enough to do well.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »

Statement From The Obama Campaign
"I shall be closing all of my campaign offices in the states of Florida, South Carolina, and New Hampshire to focus on the states of Iowa, Michigan and Nevada. I am asking all of my supporters in those first three states to support Ms. Winfrey."- Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »

As Sen. Biden realizes that he has no realistic shot at winning, he drops out and endorses the next President of the United States, Barack Obama!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »

As Sen. Biden realizes that he has no realistic shot at winning, he drops out and endorses the next President of the United States, Barack Obama!
You mean Barack America, right?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »

I really hope nobody else drops out until Iowa, a crowded field for both Republicans and Democrats will make a fascinating primary season.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »

You mean Barack America, right?

Obviously. What else would I mean?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »

Oprah Winfrey, in a speech with Senator Barack Obama in Chicago:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »

Update will come sometime tomorrow after I've had Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Thanks for your continued patience Smiley
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »

Update will come sometime tomorrow after I've had Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Thanks for your continued patience Smiley

If it's not a problem, would you mind doing polling for all six early primary states this time? Should be some big shifts given Senator Obama and my announcement.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

Statement from the Howard Dean Campaign:

"Both Senator Obama and Ms. Winfrey are good people, and we have no comment about their new strategy of dividing the map. However, Governor Dean is concerned about neither having the proper experience to serve as president. Senator Obama has only been in the Senate for two full years, and though his opposition to the war in Iraq is a welcome change from the current administration, he may not be ready for the presidency.

Meanwhile, Ms. Winfrey has never held political office, and in fact has been relatively apolitical until recently. Though an outsider status is not inherently negative, a president with no prior political experience is both unprecedented and potentially harmful. On the other hand, Governor Dean served for nearly 12 years as Governor of Vermont, where he balanced the budget 11 times while passing a universal health care law and cutting taxes on the middle class."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2012, 01:00:46 PM by LumineVonReuental »

Statement from Newt Gingrich in a press conference in his Georgia Headquarters:

"So I said I wasn't going negative on this campaign, and so far I have kept that pledge. I still plan to continue with my positive ideas campaign, but I think it's necessary that someone talks about the problem we seem to be having now. I ask myself, how can my fellow candidates make so many personal attacks? It's quite disappointing, I must say.

First we have Senator Snowe, a fellow republican, who has mercilessly attacked Senator McCain in her ads, calling him a flipflopper with no personal convictions... And that is outrageous, Senator McCain is a war hero! And we also have a democratic candidate, Governor Dean, who has attacked at least three of his own fellow party members: Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and Mrs Winfrey, even daring to question the integrity of Senator Clinton with her decision to support the Iraq War in 2003.

Instead of recurring to such despicable tactics, I will run a positive campaign focused on our country's future, because the public deserves a respectful and constructive campaign. We must stop this right now!

Before we go to the Iraq Debate proposed by Senator Clinton, I would like to see Senator Snowe apologizing to Senator McCain for her ads, as well as I would like to see Governor Dean focusing on more important things than personal attacks. After all, he still hasn't apologized after his many offensive comments, such as his statement on the Confederate flag in 2004.

Thank you very much for your attention."
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #211 on: November 23, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2012, 01:25:34 PM by MrMittens »

Mitt Romney announces he's dropping out
My supporters. I hoped this campaign would lead all the way to the White House. However, I due to a lack of enthusiasm and endorsements from those in my party, I have come to the decision that I should leave this race. Therefore, I shall be endorsing my good friend Senator John McCain. I believe John, a noble man who has bravely served his country, combines the right mix of backbone and pragmatism that is needed to make America strong once more. Now I thankyou, my loyal supporters, thank you for your hard work and graft during this campaign, thank you for your donations, both of money and of time, and thank you for your enthusiasm. I'd also like to thank my wonderful wife, and the rest of my family, for the scrutiny they've had to put up with on the campaign trail. Thank you and God Bless you and America!

Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #212 on: November 23, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »

Statement From The Matheson Campaign
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #213 on: November 23, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »

"To be honest I think it's sad that the loyal Democrats aren't being give the opportunity to decide who they want to be president" Ms Clinton on Ms Winfrey and Senator Obama's withdrawal from states.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 01:45:47 AM by Barnes »

Statement from Senator Snowe:
Speaker Gingrich has attempted to portray me as a "merciless attacker" on my fellow candidates' campaigns, however, all I have said is true. I am the only candidate who has stood firm by their beliefs throughout their entire career. Mr. Gingrich also took a very cheap political shot by claiming I am somehow insulting Senator McCain's war record; the Senator is a distinguished veteran, and we have worked together throughout the years in the Senate, but I feel that I would be better equipped at leading our country as President. My campaign's message of moderate ideas and strong leadership are what the American people, of both parties, want.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »

Last minute statement from the Gingrich Campaign:

Look, let's be candid: It doesn't matter at all if Senator Snowe is right or wrong in what she says about her record, the point is that she is using the same old tricks that have tarnished politics in this country, and that is the real problem. One thing is to say that you consider yourself to be more qualified for the job, that's alright. But I insist that casting the rest of the candidates as flip-floppers will not help anybody here.

I think Senator Snowe is right when she speaks about this country needing a strong leadership, but what we need is positive leadership, and this kind of negative campaining does not represent positive leadership. Because of that same reason, I sincerely hope that this "war of words" becomes more of talking about real issues for the country and less about attacks on moral character, which is why I am so eagerly waiting for the next debate.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #216 on: November 23, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »

Ron Paul Press Conference.
Reporter: Congressman Paul, do you have any comments on the disputes between the other candidates?

Paul: No, not really. I don't think it is any of my business but since I have to hear about it all the time in the media I guess I get a right to an opinion on it. It's annoying, because neither candidate has consistently bothered to consult the constitution on most issues, and neither candidate truly respects liberty. So I find it somewhat of a..well..a flat out nuisance that I have to hear about their little spats when we should be focused on bringing our men and women home from overseas, ending the Federal Reserve, and cutting the wasteful spending and red tape in Washington.

Reporter #2: Do you plan on attending the bipartisan foreign policy debate?

Paul: Yes, that has been arranged, and I look forward to attending.

Reporter #3: How do you feel about your Iowa bus tour?

Paul: I feel it went well, and I feel that the message of peace and liberty are growing here in Iowa and across the country, and I look forward to doing it again here and also in New Hampshire.

Reporter #4: Some have speculated that you might seek the Libertarian or Constitution Party nominations. Do you intend to do so?

Paul: If I am nominated by the Republican Party, I would like the endorsements of those parties, to create a coalition that supports liberty, but I don’t plan on running as a third party candidate again. But I don’t deal in absolutes so I will figure out if I want to cross the bridge when I come to it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »

A new Snowe TV ad to be aired in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Florida:

Olympia Snowe has long supported alternative forms of energy to break America's dependence on foreign oil and to protect our beautiful environment.  Senator Snowe's policy advocates an "all-of-the-above" plan to energy.  She's open to ideas that range from ethanol to wind farms.  The only thing that matters is that we can produce it cheaply at home, and that it will sustain both ourselves and our children.

Vote for Olympia Snowe - the candidate of common sense.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2012, 03:36:23 AM »

A New Hagel Ad airing in New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, and Florida:

John McCain talks big about foreign policy, but does he stand to the test?

"It's going to be easy"

"Look, nobody said it was going to be easy."

He supported the surge into Iraq. He supported every measure to increase the amount of troops going into Iraq. He voted with President Bush over 90% of the time. And he calls himself a maverick? Don't be fooled.

Vote for a real maverick this November. Vote, for Chuck Hagel.

I'm Chuck Hagel and I approve this message.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:14 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 03:45:22 AM by ChairmanSanchez »

Ron Paul ad in Iowa.

(Clips of the candidates arguing in favor of the Iraq War. Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Newt Gingrich shown.)

Narrator: Ron Paul has stood up for liberty for over thirty years.

(Clip of Ron Paul on the Morton Downey Jr. show, specifically the "automatic selector" part.)

Narrator: Vote for a consistant defender of freedom. Vote for Ron Paul.

(Based on this video.)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 03:04:54 PM by jerryarkansas »

Breaking news from CNN

Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas has told supports to vote for congressman Matheson in the state of Nevada's democratic caucuses .
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »

Statement From The Dean Campaign:

"In light of the recent campaign strategies taken by multiple candidates, the Dean campaign reaffirms its commitment to ensure that we will have supporters in all states and our confidence that Governor Howard Dean will be the Democratic nominee next year."
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

October 29th-November 4th starts now.

Democratic Polling

Iowa-
Obama 35%
Clinton 27%
Lincoln 8%
Dean 8%
Gravel 7%
Henry 4%
Biden 3%
Matheson 2%
Winfrey 2%

New Hampshire-
Clinton 34%
Winfrey 27%
Dean 23%
Gravel 5%
Biden 4%
Matheson 3%
Lincoln 2%
Henry 2%
Obama 1%

Nevada-
Obama 26%
Clinton 25%
Matheson 18%
Gravel 6%
Henry 5%
Biden 2%
Dean 2%
Winfrey 1%

South Carolina-
Winfrey 26%
Clinton 26%
Lincoln 16%
Henry 8%
Dean 8%
Gravel 5%
Biden 4%
Matheson 2%
Obama 1%

Republican Polling-

Iowa-

Hagel 20%
McCain 18%
Paul 18%
Gingrich 18%
Sanford 6%
Snowe 5%

Wyoming-

McCain 36%
Paul 13%
Hagel 10%
Gingrich 7%
Snowe 5%
Sanford 3%

New Hampshire-
McCain 38%
Snowe 30%
Paul 10%
Gingrich 5%
Sanford 4%
Hagel 3%

Nevada-
McCain 31%
Snowe 16%
Paul 8%
Gingrich 8%
Sanford 4%
Hagel 4%

South Carolina-

Sanford 40%
Gingrich 26%
McCain 13%
Hagel 6%
Paul 5%
Snowe 2%

Rolled News Stories-

Michael Moore makes a very moving campaign film for Hillary in wake of Obama Winfrey Alliance

The Liberal Movie Creator Michael Moore has released his 1st politically charged film in this election cycle. He wholeheartedly created it to help Hillary Clinton following Obama and Winfrey's polling surges. It explores her childhood, adult years, and campaign now. Hillary herself speaks in several interviews along with her husband Bill, her mother Dorothy, and her colleagues Al Gore, Diane Feinstein, and Harry Reid.

Rove and his political machine back Newt Gingrich-

Famed politico Karl Rove has backed Newt Gingrich this week and with that backing comes a comprehensive organization strategy, campaign offices, and money. Ads will be aired and it appears this will help Gingrich.

Clinton Debate Questions-

1. Why do you hold the view we should stay in/leave Iraq?

2. If elected when would you withdraw troops from Iraq?

3. Are there other countries besides Iraq that need our military involvement?

4. What do you base your views on Iraq on? (poor children, terrorism, infrastructure building, you get the picture.....)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »

1. From the beginning, even when many of my Democratic colleagues supported intervention in Iraq, I opposed it. The Bush administration's decision to enter Iraq was based on inaccurate intelligence, and as we soon found out, there are no weapons of mass destruction in the country. Though a tyrant may be dead, I feel that this war has made us less safe than we were before. Thousands of young American men and women have died, along with countless Iraqi civilians, and our occupation there is creating new recruits for al-Qaeda every day.

2. After I am elected, I intend to work with the Iraqi government to plan a withdrawal that would begin immediately after my inauguration. When people are dying, when families are being torn apart, it is never too early to end this quagmire of a war.

3. At the moment, there is absolutely no reason to commit our soldiers to yet another foreign conflict. However, I am not opposed to all war. As Senator Obama put it, I am opposed to "dumb wars". Iraq is a dumb war. Afghanistan, where the Taliban harbored terrorists and where Osama bin Laden is still at large, was not a dumb war, and as president I will commit to working with the Afghan and Pakistani governments to destroying the Taliban and capturing or killing Osama bin Laden. If a situation arises where our intervention is truly necessary, I will be ready as Commander-in-Chief to respond.

4. I could go into the massive debt increase this war has caused, that a supposedly fiscally conservative administration has no problem with. I could point to the fact that al-Qaeda in Iraq is gaining strength every day our occupation continues. I could point to the deterioration in relations with our allies around the world, from Germany to Japan to France. I could point to the rising strength and influence in China, where many nations are turning to as an ally.

But the strongest argument against our presence in Iraq is the human cost. It is the look on an Iraqi child's face as he holds his dying sister in his arms. It is the tears running down a mother's cheek as she learns her son or daughter has been killed overseas by a roadside bomb. It is the feeling of uncertainty that a veteran feels when he returns home from duty, only to be unable to find a job. It is that human cost which truly motivates me to want to exit this war on day one of my presidency.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 05:52:57 PM by IDS Co-Speaker SJoyceFla »

1. More than four years into the invasion, more than 3,300 US troops have died. 50,000 more of our young men and women have been permanently maimed, some losing their limbs, some their sights, and some losing things we can't see. That number doesn't include the tens of thousands more afflicted with post-traumatic stress disorder and in urgent need of psychological care. The death toll among Iraqi civilians nears three-quarters of a million, and there still remains no end in sight to the bloodshed. I don't want our young men and women dying, and I don't want any innocent people dying. There was no reason to invade, intelligence showed there were no weapons of mass destruction, and there was no threat to the United States or her national interests. This war was lost the first day it began, when George Bush invaded Iraq on a fraudulent basis. I believe we should end this disaster of epic proportions, and it has been a disaster both for the Iraqi people and the United States, and bring our troops home. Iraqi oil is not worth the life of one more American, and quite frankly nobody who voted for that war is fit to be commander-in-chief.

2. I've made this very clear over the course of the campaign. I've made this very clear since 2002, when I was one of the first political figures to publicly oppose the invasion, like I opposed the Vietnam War, and George Bush lied to the American people the same way Lyndon Johnson lied to us 30 years ago. When I am elected, I will commence an immediate and orderly withdrawal of all US troops that will have them home within 120 days. I would also pursue aggressive diplomacy to bring an end to the civil war that is currently consuming Iraq, and work with neighboring countries to lead a collective effort to bring peace. I would also lead a US corporate withdrawal and hand over our reconstruction contracts to Iraqi businesses, to empower Iraqis to reconstruct their own country. The real way to support our troops is to not send them into harm's way in a fraudulent conflict; I would bring our troops home.

3. I know what this question is really asking about, and that's Iran. With respect to Iran, we've sanction them for 26 years. We've scared the bejeezus out of em when the current President says they're "evil". Well, you know something? These things don't work. They don't work. We need to recognize Iran, exchange ambassadors, and you know something else? The greatest violator of the Nonproliferation Treaty? The United States of America. We signed a pledge that we would begin to disarm and we're not doing it, we're expanding our nukes. Who the hell are we gonna nuke? Tell me, Hillary: who do you wanna nuke? You've said that "nothing is off the table" in regards to the Iranian nuclear program, and quite frankly that frightens me. There was a vote in the Senate quite recently in which Joe Lieberman, who authored the Iraq Resolution, has offered another resolution, and it is essentially a fig leaf for George Bush to go to war with Iran. I'd like to congratulate Chuck, for voting against it, Blanche, for voting against it, and I'm ashamed of you, Hillary, for voting for it. You're not going to get another shot at this, because what happened, if this war ensues, we invade and the neocons in the Bush administration looking for an excuse to do it, and Senator Obama wasn't even there to vote. So no, I don't believe we should have another war, I don't believe that's a good idea, and when I'm President I won't send more of our boys off to die in vain in another war of imperialism.

4. I served in communications intelligence, in the Counter Intelligence Corps in Germany and France in the early 1950s. While I wasn't on the front lines, I served three years as a first lieutenant. I've known the military first-hand because I served in the Army, which is someone no one else up here competing for the nomination of my party can say. I served in the Senate during the Vietnam War, when I fought to end the draft. I know what war is, and this has been a damn bad one. Senator Clinton has run ads showing the horrors of what's been happening in Iraq, and there's my reason for wanting to get our troops out now. We need a diplomatic solution, nations working together to bring stability, or we'll just see more of what Senator Clinton has already shown the nation. I want to end that, and end it now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies