Why is god considered to be male?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:09:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why is god considered to be male?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is god considered to be male?  (Read 3127 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

Is this just a Christian thing or do Jews and Muslims believe in this as well?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

Jews and Muslims also believe god is male, at least in terms of how the gender of his character is usually described. It's not necessarily that the Abrahamic god has male sex organs or anything like that, and there are some things in the Bible where he is described in a more maternal fashion.

As to why, I imagine it has to do with the culture of the Hebrews at the time when the Abrahamic god was conceived of. If you look in the Old Testament you'll find that their society was rather male-centric, with females usually playing a subordinate role. Since it's a monotheistic religion, the one god would be of the dominant gender as to represent what the culture would think of as the 'natural order'.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »

The Jews, Christians, and Muslims I've talked to all believe that God is gender-neutral.

I think it's mostly because our very Language tends to always pass on masculine/feminine traits to certain words.

English isn't as bad as most, but there are very few gender-neutral words that come easy, at least when talking about people. We use "he" or "she," there's no gender-neutral word for that, and "it" just signifies something less than a person. Same with "father" and "mother," and while "parent" does exist, and it just doesn't flow easy. How many people actually call their parents "Parent" like they would call them "Mom" or "Dad"?

I'm not an expert in Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek, but I'd guess their languages have similar problems.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »

I've heard it explained in Catholicism (and other forms of Christianity I'm sure) that God is described as male due to His role acting as the husband to His bride the Church.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

Dibble and Starwatcher have more or less described my understanding of this. The idea of God as a bridegroom to the Church is considerably less important outside of Roman Catholicism.
pugbug
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »

Calling him "He" can subconsciously personify God as male, right? We could call him "It," but it sounds disrespectful because we are already so used to calling him "He." Maybe it's because in the medieval ages, and even before that, men in power wanted to further the notion that men are more god-like than women?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »

Dibble and Starwatcher have more or less described my understanding of this. The idea of God as a bridegroom to the Church is considerably less important outside of Roman Catholicism.

It appears in Judaism, though.  God as the husband of Jerusalem, or the Sabbath day as the beautiful bride of God...

Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »

It appears in Judaism, though.  God as the husband of Jerusalem, or the Sabbath day as the beautiful bride of God...

Excellent point.

It does come up now and then in Protestantism but it's not really emphasized, particularly not the gendered aspects. The sorts of Protestant churches that care a lot about gender roles are the sorts that tend not employ much of this kind of imagery.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »

Excellent point.

It does come up now and then in Protestantism but it's not really emphasized, particularly not the gendered aspects. The sorts of Protestant churches that care a lot about gender roles are the sorts that tend not employ much of this kind of imagery.

Reform Judaism does this too...leading to hilarious circumstances where a prayer titled Avinu, Malkeinu ("Our Father, Our King") has its translation titled "Our Parent, Our Sovereign" in Reform prayer books.  Tongue
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2012, 05:34:30 AM by Nathan »

Excellent point.

Reform Judaism does this too...leading to hilarious circumstances where a prayer titled Avinu, Malkeinu ("Our Father, Our King") has its translation titled "Our Parent, Our Sovereign" in Reform prayer books.  Tongue

Oh, we don't go that far. I'm told there are churches that do but mine doesn't. Thinking of God as male is something that I, at least, recognize as primarily a holdover cultural assumption maintained through inertia and the fact that most theologically acceptable alternatives do indeed sound a little silly, but we still do it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »

Some of the people who preach at my church often interchange "He/Him" and "She/Her" in sermons, and this one girl who sings in Desert Song always changes the line "God is my victory and He is here" to "God is my victory and always near"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

I thought that when God created Man she was just practicing?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »

Some of the people who preach at my church often interchange "He/Him" and "She/Her" in sermons, and this one girl who sings in Desert Song always changes the line "God is my victory and He is here" to "God is my victory and always near"

There's some somewhat feminine or maternal language used for God even in the old old sources (of Christianity; I've been meaning to do a 'back to the OT' thing, looking at the Jewish as well as the Christian perspectives, for a while now but it's never really materialized because of other academic and reading projects), it just gets drowned out by the constant Kings and Fathers and Smallcaps Lords. It's there if you want it but it's hard to construct a whole liturgy around.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »

Obviously that's easier to implement if you don't have a written liturgy and the person speaking can just say whatever they want.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

Obviously that's easier to implement if you don't have a written liturgy and the person speaking can just say whatever they want.

Eh, plenty of pastors and such play around with the "established liturgy" willy-nilly.  One of the pastors at my East Lansing church usually substituted "She" for "He" or found a gender-neutral term even when it was printed otherwise.

I predict Bible translations in 100 years or so will be using "They"/"Them", because, as pointed out, it's mostly viewed as an accidental holdover, and God definitely appears using feminine imagery as well as masculine imagery in older texts.  Now that English is getting a third-person singular animate pronoun, we'll be able to replace "He" Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 08:28:36 PM »

I've heard it explained in Catholicism (and other forms of Christianity I'm sure) that God is described as male due to His role acting as the husband to His bride the Church.

This is very interesting. I figured it was mostly due to it being a reflection of a male dominated society, and it probably is mostly the case, but this is also an interesting fact that I did not know.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »

In case someone else has said it, it's because men (human beings with penises) made Him in their own image.

If God exists, no one knows who or what it / he / she is.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »

God is described as a father in both the Old and New Testament, as well as being compared to a mother at times, and I'm sure that the Muslim holy books (the Koran, the Hadith, etc.) do something similar.  I personally believe that God is gender-neutral, but is described with masculine pronouns to use something general (since those are more neutral than feminine pronouns, and are we really going to call God "it"?)  The Bible does the same thing with angels, who are also gender-neutral but are almost always described with masculine pronouns (contrary to what we see in pop culture.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies