If Romney had picked Petraeus for VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:16:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Romney had picked Petraeus for VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Romney had picked Petraeus for VP  (Read 1265 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »

what would have been the implications?

Petraeus was talked about as a possible running mate for Romney in the media.

I realize his extra marital affair never became public until after the election, however, if he had been the VP candidate, it no doubt would have been.

Please discuss what impact a Petraeus VP candidacy would have had on the election.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »

Highly unlikely to have happened... BUT, might in end have been a net negative for Romney. I say that because it would have highlighted Romney's comparative weakness on foreign and defense policy.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:42:49 AM »

Was Petraeus ever even vetted? I thought it was just mentioned, and wasn't ever serious.

I think that the Romney people would figure that something is up. Petraeus would refuse, and Romney would accept it. Now, if for some reason he didn't, the media would discover it. This would probably be an Eagleton-level disaster, to be honest. Petraeus would withdraw, lest he be a further drag on the ticket. Romney would have to go with a safer, less appealing candidate (like Pawlenty or Portman), and would lose an almost-certain bounce.

Furthermore, it gives Democrats a new wave of attack; Romney, a puritan, will have picked a philanderer who turned against his president. I see no real difference in electoral outcome, but this entire affair would distract from the issues, and Obama would probably walk into a second term even more easily.

But this assumes Petraeus was a realistic choice. He wasn't and isn't interested in electoral politics. Now, I know some of us longed for a return of Eisenhower and speculated, but really, it was never in the realm of possibility. The closest shot he had was moving up to Secretary of State or Defense. It may still be possible one day if this entire thing blows over.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:31:11 AM »

IIRC, Petraeus was initially drummed up as a candidate by Drudge, probably because viewership was slipping. I genuinely think Petraeus would have said no if Romney asked him to join the ticket, though.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »

You're discussing impossible, because Petraeus, as CIA Director, was legally barred from getting involved in political campaigns, much more being a candidate himself.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »

You're discussing impossible, because Petraeus, as CIA Director, was legally barred from getting involved in political campaigns, much more being a candidate himself.
He would have had to resign as such.

The big question would be why should he accept such a nom. I very much doubt he voted for Romney. People in high appointed office, like close family of candidates, almost always vote for their team even if their political views are not fully aligned.
Link
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2012, 10:35:24 AM by Link »

What do you think the "implications" would have been?  VP pick was announced in August.  Petraus ended his affair prior to that.  I'm sure there was already concern about getting caught.  The FBI investigation started in May.  Certainly by August relationship over.  Coincidence?  I doubt a VP vetting was something he wanted to do at that time.  Net affect for Romney?  Nil.
Robin
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »

Bit of extra-curricular shagging might have humanised the ticket ...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »

He would have had to resign as such.

Indeed, which would be even less plausible. Come on, a CIA Director abruptly resigning in order to join a ticket opposing the very President who appointed him and with whom he worked just fine? How would that play? Horribly, especially in times like this.

And yes. Petraeus doesn't seem to have ambitions in electoral politics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies