Smart, Rich Conservatives versus Poor, Dumb Conservatives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:51:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Smart, Rich Conservatives versus Poor, Dumb Conservatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Smart, Rich Conservatives versus Poor, Dumb Conservatives  (Read 4847 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/11/gop-civil-war-now-class-war/58922/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »

The implication that rich people are smarter than poor people......
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »

I just find it ironic that "the folks" are being blamed for the GOP performance this year when it was the money of people like Sheldon Adelson and Foster Friess that kept joke candidates like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum in the running for so long and it was the Kochs' money that got pissed away on badly done TV commercials instead of actually, you know, getting actual people to talk to actual people and tell them to vote for your candidate.

Granted, I sympathize philosophically with cerebral conservatives and mainstream Republicans, but it's hard not to feel sorry for the movement conservative rank-and-file who basically get chunks of red meat thrown at them by the Mitt Romneys of the world and then when the rest of us aren't persuaded, he turns around and blames them for his inability to get elected.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »

Does the person who wrote this article actually believe this or is he just being clever?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »

Seems to be a case of Poor, Somewhat Dumb Conservatives vs Rich, Far Dumber Conservatives. Tongue
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2012, 09:20:02 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

I just find it ironic that "the folks" are being blamed for the GOP performance this year when it was the money of people like Sheldon Adelson and Foster Friess that kept joke candidates like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum in the running for so long and it was the Kochs' money that got pissed away on badly done TV commercials instead of actually, you know, getting actual people to talk to actual people and tell them to vote for your candidate.

Granted, I sympathize philosophically with cerebral conservatives and mainstream Republicans, but it's hard not to feel sorry for the movement conservative rank-and-file who basically get chunks of red meat thrown at them by the Mitt Romneys of the world and then when the rest of us aren't persuaded, he turns around and blames them for his inability to get elected.

The Beltway Conservatives certainly deserve their share of blame too, but the next Republican presidential candidate who actually gets elected is going to need to have a Sister Souljah moment with the Trump/Beck/Bachmann wing of the party.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:50 AM »

We, poor dumb conservatives were smart enough not to support Romney in the primary. What's your excuse for backing a loser?

If the 'smart' people consider me dim, then I'd prefer to be dim in their eyes. Smiley As Reagan once said, "you believe so much that just isn't so."
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

"Sister Souljah moment with the Trump/Beck/Bachmann wing of the party."

Last I checked, Clinton won. The moderates are welcome to try going all Clinton on us. Clinton went to the middle with two parties on his right, Romney wanted to go to the middle without the split.
Benj

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »

The point, I think, isn't that poor people are dumber than rich people, but that poor people don't know how to be rich (how to preserve wealth, how to behave with a lot of money). We see this a lot with lottery winners; how many declare bankruptcy within a few years? It's not a matter of being stupid. It's a matter of not growing up privileged and never being told how to manage their finances, which is not something most people, rich or poor, know intuitively. People who grew up in the upper middle class or higher have that advantage. People who grew up poor don't. Those few who actually make it from poverty to extreme wealth are mostly pretty smart to begin with and can figure it out. We even see the poor decisions of those who made it to money without brains (think not just lottery winners, but celebrities like Britney Spears or any random pro sports player).

Obviously not the only thing that's going on, but does explain why Trump is so popular with low-income segments of the Republican base.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »

Your analysis would be more believable without the D-NJ. FWIW.

Speaking as one of those low-income voters - why do I support conservativism? It's because I can't afford to waste money on the latest fashionable cause de jour, and I certainly don't like liberals like you taking my money and using it to fund the things that you want.

Perhaps I would be a liberal - if I worked in the government or for a union. Then I'd be making lots more money then I do now, and I could afford to be a liberal.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »

The point, I think, isn't that poor people are dumber than rich people, but that poor people don't know how to be rich (how to preserve wealth, how to behave with a lot of money). We see this a lot with lottery winners; how many declare bankruptcy within a few years? It's not a matter of being stupid. It's a matter of not growing up privileged and never being told how to manage their finances, which is not something most people, rich or poor, know intuitively. People who grew up in the upper middle class or higher have that advantage. People who grew up poor don't. Those few who actually make it from poverty to extreme wealth are mostly pretty smart to begin with and can figure it out. We even see the poor decisions of those who made it to money without brains (think not just lottery winners, but celebrities like Britney Spears or any random pro sports player).

Obviously not the only thing that's going on, but does explain why Trump is so popular with low-income segments of the Republican base.

If this is the case, how do you explain the many trust funders who don't know how to handle life in general, much less personal finances?

Also, Trump's father was a wealthy man, so I'm not sure what your point is there.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Your analysis would be more believable without the D-NJ. FWIW.

Speaking as one of those low-income voters - why do I support conservativism? It's because I can't afford to waste money on the latest fashionable cause de jour, and I certainly don't like liberals like you taking my money and using it to fund the things that you want.

Perhaps I would be a liberal - if I worked in the government or for a union. Then I'd be making lots more money then I do now, and I could afford to be a liberal.

I don't like conservatives taking our money and using it to fund wars for profit. That goes both ways.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »

Which is why we are spending 2/3rds of a trillion dollars just on overhead for welfare, and only 1/3rd of a trillion on the actual recipients.

Would you donate to a local charity that spent 2/3rds of your money on administration?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »

Which is why we are spending 2/3rds of a trillion dollars just on overhead for welfare, and only 1/3rd of a trillion on the actual recipients.

Would you donate to a local charity that spent 2/3rds of your money on administration?

It must be nice to have your own facts.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/admin.html

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/may/30/barbara-boxer/barbara-boxer-says-medicare-overhead-far-lower-pri/
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »

Apparently progressive reality has issues with reading comprehension. I said welfare. Neither of those are welfare.
Benj

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »

If this is the case, how do you explain the many trust funders who don't know how to handle life in general, much less personal finances?

Also, Trump's father was a wealthy man, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

I didn't say all rich people know how to be rich, just that they had the opportunity to learn. Some of them are too dumb/dense to take advantage of that opportunity.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »

Apparently progressive reality has issues with reading comprehension. I said welfare. Neither of those are welfare.

OK, well "welfare" doesn't make up anywhere near a majority of the federal budget, unlike defense and "entitlements." . What is your point?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 11:23:40 AM »

Answer the question - would you support a charity that was spending two thirds of what they take in as overhead?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »

Sigh...The GOP needs to figure it's main problem isn't even political. It's the way we expect our politicians to carry themselves. Our zeal for entertainment has gotten so bad it's difficult to even talk to a lot of conservatives anymore. Getting angry doesn't fix America and yelling louder and louder doesn't mean what you have to say any more convincing than if you said it calmly. The left has discovered the joy of politics as entertainment, but so often it's just in making fun of us.

I remember when I was talking to a bunch of Republicans about redistricting Ohio and the idea of combining Jean Schmidt's and Steve Chabot's districts and forcing them into a primary, the conversation somehow, some way ended up getting twisted into about half the people believing that Jean Schmidt was the "true conservative" and Steve Chabot the "moderate" just on the bases that Schmidt was a worse candidate. It took quite a while for people to figure out that ideology wasn't Schmidt's problem so much as how she carried herself at times.

We've done that too much as a national party and as a movement. You don't have to be a moderate to be pragmatic and you don't have to sell out your beliefs to get things done. We need better candidates more than we need ideologically pure ones. That being said, I'll admit there are limits to this. I don't want to turn the GOP into the Democrat-lite party and I don't want to turn it into a socially liberal party. But conservative needs to mean more than the opposite of whatever the liberals want. It needs to be a grand alternate vision for the country.

Now, part of this too is that the Democrats, those on here included, want to try and make the Republican Party looks stupid and ignorant. The idea is to paint us as freakish weirdos and lead the band of internet leftist lemmings wherever makes the GOP look bad to go regardless of whether its true or not. Republicans need to recognize this still, as an honest man in politics will do about as well as a Mormon in Beer Olympics, but try and defuse the attacks instead of playing into them. We have be prepared to be harassed but not react poorly to it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:31 AM »

Answer the question - would you support a charity that was spending two thirds of what they take in as overhead?
No. That's why I don't support the huge international charities.

But of course welfare is not charity. Welfare is the Government doing the job it derives its justification from.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »

Oddly enough - I don't see that in the constitution.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »

We, poor dumb conservatives were smart enough not to support Romney in the primary. What's your excuse for backing a loser?

If the 'smart' people consider me dim, then I'd prefer to be dim in their eyes. Smiley As Reagan once said, "you believe so much that just isn't so."
If anyone other than Romney had been nominated, Obama would have won by an even wider margin.  Gingrich or Perry, for example would have both lost in a 40+ state landslide.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »

Oddly enough - I don't see that in the constitution.
Still worshiping 200 year old piece of paper eh? But oddly enough the constitution has general welfare clause.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »

Why do Republicans worship James Madison's musings from 200 years ago?  You'd think a bunch of super-Christians wouldn't treat a mortal man like he were Jesus himself...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »

2/3 huh?

Link? That sure would be an incredible stat considering the overhead figures for soc sec and medicare (which, in fact, is social welfare by most reasonable definitions).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies