WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:37:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: WaPo: The GOP is no party for blacks, Latinos, and gays  (Read 25606 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
« edited: November 16, 2012, 07:55:26 PM by ProudModerate2 »

... this is just hyperbole from the party of slavery. 

... the party of Slavery is trying it's very, very best to lie.

Because the Party of Slavery is desperately trying to cover up the truth.

Democrats have always been the party of slavery - except now they are telling black people that they should abort their kids.

I dont know why so many are taking someone who calls the Democratic Party "the party of slavery" so serious. I wouldnt waste my time trying to counter any arguments/comments made by this person. I guess this (sick) individual believes that if he repeats it enough times, that he will actually convince others that it is the truth.

What a sad and mentally disturbed human being.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »

Has Oldies come up with a ridiculously convoluted excuse for this map yet?

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »

Sheesh, just pull up any Dem map after the Civil War.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »

What if the GOP has a minority on the ticket next time? Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

To be fair, although its ludicrous to roast the Democrats for having been the party of slavery and segregation a long time ago, many Dem posters on here aren't exactly averse to ripping the Republican Party over the southern strategy that it employed in the 1960's and 1970's as if they still use it.

They do still use it. Have a look at some of Mitt Romney's statements.

They don't employ the southern strategy anymore since there's not the need. It's just low ranking GOP'ers doing things like that. In fact the whole 'southern' strategy thing is overly hyped, since you could well have called many of the ingredients to the southern strategy the 'Ohio Blue Collar Workers Strategy' or the 'North-Eastern Concerned about Busing Parents Strategy' or even the 'California Suburbanite Strategy'. The place of the south, whilst important, has been massively blown up to block out all other elements of the strategy.
The Southern strategy had nothing to do with pandering to racists.

ROFL
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »

First of all, race may have been a factor in 1964, but it wasn't after that.  And stop making fun of me on the Southern strategy.  Read these articles to prove my point:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100265457/The-Truth-Nixon-s-Southern-Strategy
http://www.wnd.com/2002/12/16477/
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2012, 01:26:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Truth hurts.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »

First of all, race may have been a factor in 1964, but it wasn't after that.  And stop making fun of me on the Southern strategy.  Read these articles to prove my point:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100265457/The-Truth-Nixon-s-Southern-Strategy
http://www.wnd.com/2002/12/16477/

Come on, Pat Buchanan wrote one of those articles...

Pat Buchanan is not really an authority on what is and is not racist.  He's an anti-Semite and he was race-baiting and demonizing blacks into the 1990s.  Plus, he worked for Nixon so he's not exactly a disinterested analyst on that. 
KenobiFan1999
United States

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2012, 02:51:51 AM »

Well the republicans dont support foodstamps or welfare of illegal immigrants (at least romney didn't) so obviously the minorities werent going to vote for him
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »

Well the republicans dont support foodstamps or welfare of illegal immigrants (at least romney didn't) so obviously the minorities werent going to vote for him

and the biggest recipients of food-stamps are whom?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »

Whose sock are you?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2012, 11:42:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Truth hurts.
Yep.  This is the truth.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »

It was about convincing Southern moderates who supported civil rights to fight against the segregationist Democrats by voting Republican.  

Southern pro-civil rights moderates who joined the GOP because of the Southern Strategy:

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »

First of all, race may have been a factor in 1964, but it wasn't after that. 

Yes, that's right! After LBJ signed the civil rights act, we all held hands and danced around the camp fire!  MLK was never shot!  The KKK disbanded!  It was just a random coincidence that Obama was black, and somehow underperformed Kerry in Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia, and..... 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »

Le sigh, this is so absurd.

Instead of living in the past, why don't you guys, y'know, actually do something to gain the faith of minorities?

Just a thought.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »

I just don't get it. Since Democrats were the party of slavery 150 yeras ago, and southern Democrats like Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, and Trent Lott fought the Civil Rights bills in the mid-60's, why do minorities now vote overwhelmingly for even white Democrats?? Granted Thurmond and his ilk had strong strong support from now widely-discredited Republicans like Reagan and Goldwater, but surely minorities recall how the northern moderate wing, ably represented in recent years by folks like Arlen Specter and Jim Jeffords, supported civil rights legislation thenn

I just don't get it?!? Huh I guess Oldiesfreak and Ben Kenobi are right: Minority voters are mostly political sheep who listen to their leaders blindly and can't rationally discern their own interests. Cry
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »

Yes, that's right! After LBJ signed the civil rights act, we all held hands and danced around the camp fire!  MLK was never shot!  The KKK disbanded!  It was just a random coincidence that Obama was black, and somehow underperformed Kerry in Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia, and..... 
I mean in the South.  Remember that much of western Virginia also voted for Doug Wilder (who was also black) for governor in 1989.  And here are some articles to disprove your theory, including one by a liberal professor who ascribes to the revisionist history on the Southern strategy:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/300432/party-civil-rights-kevin-d-williamson
 http://claremont.org/publications/crb/id.928/article_detail.asp

Obama underperformed Kerry in E. Kentucky and West Virginia because of his perceived hostility to coal.  Likewise, the only congressional district in America to vote for Kerry in 2004 and McCain in 2008 was in SW Pennsylvania, the heart of coal country.  

And notice on the map of the 1989 Virginia governor's race how Wilder carried several counties in the western part of the state, on the border with Kentucky:

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »

I just don't get it. Since Democrats were the party of slavery 150 yeras ago, and southern Democrats like Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, and Trent Lott fought the Civil Rights bills in the mid-60's, why do minorities now vote overwhelmingly for even white Democrats?? Granted Thurmond and his ilk had strong strong support from now widely-discredited Republicans like Reagan and Goldwater, but surely minorities recall how the northern moderate wing, ably represented in recent years by folks like Arlen Specter and Jim Jeffords, supported civil rights legislation thenn

I just don't get it?!? Huh I guess Oldiesfreak and Ben Kenobi are right: Minority voters are mostly political sheep who listen to their leaders blindly and can't rationally discern their own interests. Cry
Strom Thurmond was the only major segregationist to become a Republican, and Reagan and Goldwater were both strong supporters of civil rights who opposed the 1964 CRA because of questions over its constitutionality. (Goldwater was a founding member of the Arizona NAACP and was instrumental in making his family's business one of the first in the state to desegregate.  Reagan also supported the 1964 CRA, stating that it "should be enforced at gunpoint if necessary.")  Trent Lott and Jesse Helms weren't even in politics much until the 70s.  I don't think Trent Lott was a fan of segregation necessarily, despite his statements at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party (which I think were mostly taken out of context.) 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »

Obama underperformed Kerry in E. Kentucky and West Virginia because of his perceived hostility to coal.  Likewise, the only congressional district in America to vote for Kerry in 2004 and McCain in 2008 was in SW PA right in the heart of coal country?
while I agree Obama's underperformance in southern Wv and eastern KY had notably more to do with coal than race, PA-12 has relatively little coal-related employment and doesn't support your theory.

On another note, if you're going to try to sell a southern strategy revisionist historian as a 'liberal', you may not want to claim that for an article published in freakin' National Review. Roll Eyes That is only SLIGHTLY mor compelling than your citing Pat Buchanan to claim there was never any race-based southern strategy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »

Strom Thurmond was the only major segregationist to become a Republican, and Reagan and Goldwater were both strong supporters of civil rights who opposed the 1964 CRA because of questions over its constitutionality. (Goldwater was a founding member of the Arizona NAACP and was instrumental in making his family's business one of the first in the state to desegregate.  Reagan also supported the 1964 CRA, stating that it "should be enforced at gunpoint if necessary.")  Trent Lott and Jesse Helms weren't even in politics much until the 70s.  I don't think Trent Lott was a fan of segregation necessarily, despite his statements at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party (which I think were mostly taken out of context.) 

I know, Oldies! I completely agree your post excapsulates the truth without an ounce of missing nuance or historical revisionism. Hence I agree with your and Kenobi's fundamental premise that minorities are overwhelmingly (near-universally among African-Americans) blindly ignoring history in supporting the racist Democrats rather than the true protectors of civil rigths, Romney's GOP.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »

Sheesh, just pull up any Dem map after the Civil War.

EXCELLENT point regarding the 201912 election, Ben!
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »

I mean in the South.  Remember that much of western Virginia also voted for Doug Wilder (who was also black) for governor in 1989.  And here are some articles to disprove your theory, including one by a liberal professor who ascribes to the revisionist history on the Southern strategy:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/300432/party-civil-rights-kevin-d-williamson
 http://claremont.org/publications/crb/id.928/article_detail.asp

Obama underperformed Kerry in E. Kentucky and West Virginia because of his perceived hostility to coal.  Likewise, the only congressional district in America to vote for Kerry in 2004 and McCain in 2008 was in SW Pennsylvania, the heart of coal country.  

And notice on the map of the 1989 Virginia governor's race how Wilder carried several counties in the western part of the state, on the border with Kentucky:

Actually, for the time, that wasn't a very impresive showing for a Democrat in SoWe Virginia.

Here's Clinton 1996:

Note how Clinton did just as well, if not, better in coal country, even though he lost the state as a whole while Wilder won it.  And no one is denying that coal was a big factor.  It was a HUGE factor.  But the fact of the matter is that despite a horrible economy and the fact that John Kerry was a rich Northeasterner, Obama still wasn't able to match his performance during the 2008 election.  Odd?  Roll Eyes

And 1989?  Please, that's 25 years after.  
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2012, 02:18:10 PM »

Instead of living in the past, why don't you guys, y'know, actually do something to gain the faith of minorities?

Just a thought.

This sir, is the GOP! My party is more than content to hope for 2010-level turnout, aided by firmly opposing de-lilyfying 'amnesty' immigration and other 'anti-vote fraud' measures. That and telling Afr8can-Americans that the Emancipation Proclimation and the fact seregationists 50+ years ago we're overwhelmingly Democratic should enntitle us to a 20-30% share of their vote.

That, or we'l eventually get a clue.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

Just a thought.

This sir, is the GOP! My party is more than content to hope for 2010-level turnout, aided by firmly opposing de-lilyfying 'amnesty' immigration and other 'anti-vote fraud' measures. That and telling Afr8can-Americans that the Emancipation Proclimation and the fact seregationists 50+ years ago we're overwhelmingly Democratic should enntitle us to a 20-30% share of their vote.

That, or we'l eventually get a clue.

Have you really become a Republican?  This isn't just an act for your amusement on this forum?

Tell me, what made you change political parties, because I recall not long ago that you were a Democrat (albeit a centrist one). 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »

No act. I'm a Republican, albeit definitely in the moderate wing on most issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies