David Petraeus resigns as CIA Director over extramarital affair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:35:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  David Petraeus resigns as CIA Director over extramarital affair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: David Petraeus resigns as CIA Director over extramarital affair  (Read 3909 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »

My question: what does David Petraeus having an affair have anything to do with his (by all accounts stellar) career?

America is losing a fine public servant today, it seems.  Maybe in a few years he will be rehabilitated and able to be Defense Secretary or something.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »

Damn it Mikado, I was gonna break this Tongue  But yeah, this is a shame.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

Timing is rather suspicious. Maybe Obama is using this as a pretext to get rid of him?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »

Timing is rather suspicious. Maybe Obama is using this as a pretext to get rid of him?

Nonsense.  Petraeus is a great public servant and Obama is losing someone special at the helm over there....this is nothing that benefits the President.

Damn stupid reason to have to resign too.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »

Nonsense.  Petraeus is a great public servant and Obama is losing someone special at the helm over there....this is nothing that benefits the President.

It does make sense from the perspective that if Petraeus has been sleeping around, he could be blackmailed, which is dangerous for a CIA Director.  Nevertheless, once you admit you've had the affair, aren't you blackmail-proof over it?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »

DADT, Petraeus!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »

That was completely unexpected. I had heard speculation he was resigning and what I thought was that is was the beginning of a movement towards a possible 2016 candidacy, which I thought very exciting. A great shame

But I do feel that affairs are more than a good reason to disqualify one from service. If one cannot maintain their fidelity and loyalty to the person they swore to "to hold, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health," then how on earth can they be expected to be constant or loyal to anything (which is everything) less?

It's a great shame, but it was the only proper course of action.
Link
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »

It does make sense from the perspective that if Petraeus has been sleeping around, he could be blackmailed, which is dangerous for a CIA Director.  Nevertheless, once you admit you've had the affair, aren't you blackmail-proof over it?

He's admitted ONE affair.  The guy is the CIA director.  You are assuming that is the only secret he is keeping?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »

Attempted blackmail may be why he resigned.  He would never give into a blackmailer.  I guess it's ok to get knob jobs at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but not in Langley Wink
Link
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

But I do feel that affairs are more than a good reason to disqualify one from service. If one cannot maintain their fidelity and loyalty to the person they swore to "to hold, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health," then how on earth can they be expected to be constant or loyal to anything (which is everything) less?

The affair was going on for 37 years.  In that time he turned around Iraq and laid the ground work for us getting out of Afghanistan.  What have you been doing with your high horse for the last four decades?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

The affair was going on for 37 years.  In that time he turned around Iraq and laid the ground work for us getting out of Afghanistan.  What have you been doing with your high horse for the last four decades?

Here's the resignation letter  it went on for 37 years?
Link
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »

Here's the resignation letter  it went on for 37 years?

My bad.  I read that wrong.  It did NOT go on for 37 years.  I skimmed another report and misread it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »

My bad.  I read that wrong.  It did NOT go on for 37 years.  I skipped another report and misread it.

I wasn't trying a "gotcha" Smiley   It is a shame to lose a good D/CI
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »

Alert for conspiracy theorists: he was supposed to testify to Congress about Benghazi next week
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »

Alert for conspiracy theorists: he was supposed to testify to Congress about Benghazi next week

They can't still summon him?  I'll bet they can.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »

Well that's a shame. Both that we're losing him and that he made an inexcusably sh**tty life decision like that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

He of all people is the last person I would suspect to have an affair.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »

He of all people is the last person I would suspect to have an affair.

That's how he got to where he got in the Army and CIA.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »

A shame, but it gives new meaning the jibe the Dems used to give him of David Betray-us.
Link
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »

My bad.  I read that wrong.  It did NOT go on for 37 years.  I skipped another report and misread it.

I wasn't trying a "gotcha" Smiley   It is a shame to lose a good D/CI

Oh I know.  I wasn't try to slander him either.  I personally don't care what he did in his personal life.  I mean yes I care from the blackmail perspective but with an affair going on he did his job better than 99% of the people I know who aren't having affairs.  People talk about his political affiliation but I can't imagine anyone being happy about this other than terrorists.  Obama needed this guy.  We all did.  It's too bad.  I wish something could be done.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

Yikes.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »

Drudge is trying to spin this like he's resigning over Benghazi.

I wonder if this is why he wouldn't join the Romney ticket. I mean obviously there would have been blowback for leaving a job to run against his boss...but worry that this could have come out probably crossed his mind as well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

Drudge is hilarious right now, if the rumors about who the mistress was are true.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »

It just got interesting: NBC News: "Law enforcement officials tell NBC News the FBI is investigating Petraeus biographer Paula Broadwell for improperly trying to access his email."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

Looks like MoveOn.org was right all along:

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies