Yesterday was the worst day of my life.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:57:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Yesterday was the worst day of my life.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yesterday was the worst day of my life.  (Read 798 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »

Adam Hasner lost Sad 9 amazing months came to an end, but reality is sinking in, and it sucks. I will write a whole Bushie style update thread on my experience later, but until then, I am throwing a pity party for myself.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 04:56:10 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Yesterday was awesome. Johnson got over 3,000 votes in my county and broke 1 million nationwide, Ehrlich got closer to Young than almost any other candidate that ran against him, Castor won, we picked up HD-68 (Dudley) and HD-65 (Zimmermann), were competitive in 66, 67, and 69, didn't let the R for sheriff get above 60%, and we gained two seats on the 7-member County Commission (now 3 D, 2 "sane R", and 2 insane R), which should allow fluoridation and science once more. All Justices were retained, Scott's appointee to the school board was promptly tossed out, the school district referendum passed, and all amendments (except 3 half-decent ones) failed.

But you just need another campaign. I've got municipals in 2013; check around.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »

It's okay, man. One congressional race isn't that important. The important thing is, you worked and you fought for your guy, which will help you in future volunteer work and even a career in politics. Don't let this knock you down. Smiley
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »

Every single candidate I campaigned for lost and I worked 8 months haha
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »

True, but the difference between our races were the scale of them. While yours were far more important and memorable,  I was with the same “small” (It was no West/Murphy race) campaign for 9 months, and saw the candidate nearly every day. 

It's okay, man. One congressional race isn't that important. The important thing is, you worked and you fought for your guy, which will help you in future volunteer work and even a career in politics. Don't let this knock you down. Smiley
The campaign was almost a mental/emotional retreat for me. I kept my everyday life and the campaign as separate as possible. Most people outside my family and the Atlas were unaware I was involved. It’s like I had a vacation home, and it burnt down Tongue

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Reality is a b*tch.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

True, but the difference between our races were the scale of them. While yours were far more important and memorable,  I was with the same “small” (It was no West/Murphy race) campaign for 9 months, and saw the candidate nearly every day. 

The campaign was almost a mental/emotional retreat for me. I kept my everyday life and the campaign as separate as possible. Most people outside my family and the Atlas were unaware I was involved. It’s like I had a vacation home, and it burnt down Tongue

Reality is a b*tch.  It's still great that you got intimately involved.  Win or lose... once you get a taste, you can never stop.  And think.... it could've been worse... you could've stepped in a big pile of dog sh**t without having known it... and you could've been knocking on doors wondering why you keep smelling sh**t.  There's always an upside.  Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

Last night pretty much felt like the end of the world for me, and I had virtually nothing invested in it. So I really feel bad for you, Sanchez.

Next cycle, I'm legitimately thinking of moving to Iowa for a few months to help the Martinez camp (assuming she does run). Last night was so disappointing on so many levels... This shit has got to stop, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure it does.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:30:36 AM »

Reality is a b*tch.  It's still great that you got intimately involved.  Win or lose... once you get a taste, you can never stop.  And think.... it could've been worse... you could've stepped in a big pile of dog sh**t without having known it... and you could've been knocking on doors wondering why you keep smelling sh**t.  There's always an upside.  Smiley

OMG welcome back. Smiley

Yesterday was a very very proud moment for our state indeed. I love this place right now so much.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:34 AM »

Yeah, for the first time I am completely represented by Democrats from state house up to Obama.  Let's just say I was completely surprised at how freaking awesome the DFL/Dems did yesterday.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »

I feel oddly unmoved.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:14 AM »

I contributed $19 to the Obama campaign and then he won the election, so that was pretty cool.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:39 AM »

It was tough for me - I'll likely post a full reaction sometime later this week. I'm still trying to adjust - while many on the forum support Romney now, I think Winfield and I are the only one's who've been around for quite a while and have loyally supported Romney throughout.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:03:28 AM »

I contributed $19 to the Obama campaign and then he won the election, so that was pretty cool.

I contributed $76 to the Huntsman campaign, and he lost. Nor did I ever get my t-shirt.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:57:15 AM »

I was pretty confident Obama is going to win reelection, though I expected it to be closer (I gave Colorado to Romney) and projection is going to take a longer time.

I was more excited about Senate races.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »

You should be unmoved (about me, at least). I'm just a whiny 16 year old who got a little too emotionally involved in a campaign. The other elections are nothing for me to be upset about. I expected Obama to win.

It was tough for me - I'll likely post a full reaction sometime later this week. I'm still trying to adjust - while many on the forum support Romney now, I think Winfield and I are the only one's who've been around for quite a while and have loyally supported Romney throughout.
You were actually in my thoughts on election night, seeing as you were the only Romney supporter here who was dedicated without being a hack.

Thank you, we fought a good fight and came up short. Onwards to 2014.
Last night pretty much felt like the end of the world for me, and I had virtually nothing invested in it. So I really feel bad for you, Sanchez.

Next cycle, I'm legitimately thinking of moving to Iowa for a few months to help the Martinez camp (assuming she does run). Last night was so disappointing on so many levels... This shit has got to stop, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure it does.
I might go to Iowa and help out Rand Paul for the summer. See you in Iowa Wink.

I contributed $76 to the Huntsman campaign, and he lost. Nor did I ever get my t-shirt.
I have an extra Adam Hasner tshirt I can send up, if it makes you feel any better Smiley.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »

Don't worry, Sanchez, there will be more elections and in some your candidate will win Smiley
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:47 PM »

I think that's exactly how I felt last year, when the right won an absolute majority in my town... I kept thinking the race was close, that our campaign was superior... Ant then, the left lost by 6 points overall (I wa sure we had a slight lead). But after a month or so, you go to bed thinking about other things (next elections, for example haha).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »

you've had a pretty sweet life then
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

LOL
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »

Haha! While the rest of you put your emotion into the outcome of the race, many of us made profits by simply standing on the sidelines and checking your ID as you voted!

But in all serious, sorry to hear about all your hard work going to waste. There's always next year (or whenever the next election is), right? Who knows, maybe I'll move out from behind that Elections Inspector table to work on a campaign myself. Being an Elections Inspector is good money though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »

I got an Obama-Biden bumper sticker, a Women for Obama (for some reason) bumper sticker, and an Obama 2012 fridge magnet all as contribution rewards. This election worked out pretty well for me, swag-wise.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »

I got an Obama-Biden bumper sticker, a Women for Obama (for some reason) bumper sticker, and an Obama 2012 fridge magnet all as contribution rewards. This election worked out pretty well for me, swag-wise.

Maybe the Obama-Biden campaign is telling you to search inside for the real you.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 12:02:21 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that Sanchez! At least you participated in the process! Nothing wrong with that!

I had a good day, from voting at an empty place to covering the election and getting positive feedback I had an epic day myself.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »

I've been in the same situation. It really is horrible when a candidate you you admire and respect loses, especially when you know them personally and when you've campaigned for them full time. It's even worse when they're a losing incumbent. It will probably take a while to get over the emotional toll of the loss, which bizarrely is a good thing - it means you stand for something and had a go to advance your cause. Just don't become bitter about it, nor despondant - those are easy emotions to end up taking away long term, but that bitterness is a poison and will make you feel much worse down the track. I find that your former President Roosevelt's speech "The Man in the Arena" (from his "Citizenship in a Republic" speech) is a good one to consider following a loss. I'm sure you've already got it stuck up on your wall or somewhere, but for ease of reference:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean, you weren't actually the one "daring greatly" but your candidate was, so you should take comfort from that. You would have shared in his victory, just as you're sharing in his defeat, so I guess that sets you aside from those "cold and timid souls."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies