Was the universe created in 6 24-hour periods?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:22:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was the universe created in 6 24-hour periods?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Was the universe created in 6 24-hour periods?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Was the universe created in 6 24-hour periods?  (Read 5166 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:39:06 PM »

the sequal to my poll on if the earth is 6000 years old.

if anyone actually believes this, I'm interested in how a period of 24 hours has any relevance before the earth's creation, and any relevance to someone who does not exist on the earth.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 07:42:16 PM »

No, where does anything say it was?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »

Apparentely there are some people (the same who believe the Earth is 6000 years old) who beleive that the Biblican creation story of the universe in 6 days means literally that, 6 periods of 24 hours.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 07:54:27 PM »

Apparentely there are some people (the same who believe the Earth is 6000 years old) who beleive that the Biblican creation story of the universe in 6 days means literally that, 6 periods of 24 hours.

There ar some people who believe that if they drink arsenic laced punch, they will have eternal life.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 07:56:14 PM »

Yes, the Bible says so and that's good enough for me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 07:56:40 PM »

No, of course not. Don't be silly. Anyone who knows anything knows that the Earth was created in 24 periods of 6 hours.
Tory

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 07:58:36 PM »

No
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 08:00:44 PM »

why would a day be the same to God? And why would a period of 24 hours have any relevance to God who does not exist on the Earth, especially before the Earth even existed?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »

why would a day be the same to God? And why would a period of 24 hours have any relevance to God who does not exist on the Earth, especially before the Earth even existed?

You know BRTD, when I die and go to heaven, i'll walk up to God and ask him these questions for you.
Tory

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 08:05:27 PM »

Ok, please don't do this to each other.

It doesn't matter when the world was created or how. That is of TOTAL irrelevance. All that matters is faith in God.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 08:26:02 PM »

You know BRTD, when I die and go to heaven, i'll walk up to God and ask him these questions for you.

HaHa that was funny. BTW yes it was 24 hour days.  The Bible said that a day in heave seem like 1,000 years, because there is no darkness in heaven.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 08:27:06 PM »

HaHa that was funny. BTW yes it was 24 hour days.  The Bible said that a day in heave seem like 1,000 years, because there is no darkness in heaven.

I'm not really entering into this argument, but was interested as a bystander what the third sentence in your post has to do with the second sentence.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 08:28:03 PM »

So whether you end in heaven is dependent on whether you take the bible literally and not how good a person you are?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 08:30:39 PM »

I'm not really entering into this argument, but was interested as a bystander what the third sentence in your post has to do with the second sentence.

In Heaven there is no darkness because God is like the "sun" in heaven.  If there was no darkness to tell days by then it woiuld seem like 1,000 years
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 08:33:54 PM »

Josh you did not explain why God would care about 24 hours days since the period of a day is based on the earth's rotation and the creation story started before the earth existed, and as God does not exist on earth such a period has no relevance at al to him.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 08:36:30 PM »

In Heaven there is no darkness because God is like the "sun" in heaven.  If there was no darkness to tell days by then it woiuld seem like 1,000 years

3 questions:

1. How do you know that your religion is the correct religion?
2. What created God? If he always existed, how do you know that life has not always existed?
3. Are you familliar with the passage about the dude stopping the sun in the sky? If so, do you believe it actually happenned?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 08:40:28 PM »

3 questions:

2. What created God? If he always existed, how do you know that life has not always existed?
3. Are you familliar with the passage about the dude stopping the sun in the sky? If so, do you believe it actually happenned?

1. Yes I know that my religion is correct. I have Faith that it is.
2.God has always been there as far as I know.  But when I get to heaven I'll as God this question.. then I will tell you.
3. No not familliar with that story. But if it was in the Bible then it really happen.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 08:41:33 PM »

How do you know that the world won't end if you stand up?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 08:43:16 PM »

How do you know that the world won't end if you stand up?

I don't know when Jesus is coming back. It could be any an hour from now are 20 years from now.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 08:48:55 PM »

I wasn't talking to you.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2005, 08:53:58 PM »

Oh sorry :X
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 10:04:52 PM »

3 questions:

1. Yes I know that my religion is correct. I have Faith that it is.
2.God has always been there as far as I know.  But when I get to heaven I'll as God this question.. then I will tell you.
3. No not familliar with that story. But if it was in the Bible then it really happen.

1. All religions have faith that theirs is correct. What I want to know is....how do you know that your faith is right?
2. Your closing your mind off. God cannot obviously create himself. He had to get their somehow. And if God is omnipotent why did he create us. Obviously he would know what would happen so whats the point. The only thing God would know know is what would happen if he destroyed himself.
3. It can't be true. If the sun stopped in the sky the earth stopped on its axis. man could not survive.

The way I see it Christians believe what they believe because atheists can’t explain what created the universe. Atheists believe what they believe because Christians can’t explain what created God. Throughout history people have tried to rationalize that which they do not understand by concocting elaborate explanations. As technology develops science can answer these questions. For example – people did not understand weather, so they rationalized by explaining that there was a God (Zeus?) that controlled the weather. It has since been discovered that weather is caused, among other factors, by uneven heating of the earth by the sun. This is how religion has developed, and what religion is for. I believe that science can someday provide answers to all of life’s questions with one possible exception: “how can matter be created from nothing.” There is a scientific law which states that “matter cannot be created nor destroyed” and so this is an impossible question to answer, unless of course some higher power is involved. This is why I am not an atheist. If there was a higher power involved however how did it get created – another impossible question – and this is why I am not a Christian.
Instead I choose to remain agnostic which is basically, for lack of a better term, religiously neutral. I feel that if one closes their mind off to new ideas and suggestions progress cannot be made; without progress, logically, we will continue to blindly guess why things are the way they are. Most people want their life to have meaning and shudder at the thought of them simply rotting after they die. Believing in an afterlife comforts them. Even if there isn’t an afterlife I am still comforted by the fact that in my death I allow life. Those very microbes that are causing me to rot are food for other creatures. Those creatures are food for yet other creatures and so on. My basic view is that the world after death will seem like the world before birth. This is why we must cherish life while we have it. I was not always an agnostic. I was raised a catholic, went to Sunday school every week, and told that Jesus was the son of God. I still go to church every Sunday. Not out of choice, but instead because it is expected of me. Over time I began to think about my religion, and question it, rather than just accept it as true. I am fortunate enough to live in a society where there is freedom of religion. I respect the beliefs of other people and would not want to take those beliefs away from them. Even if their hopes are false their happiness is real, and it would be cruel to take away those hopes. I expect the same out of them. Although many people seem to have a problem with “under god” in the pledge of allegiance, I don’t. I feel that if people want to say it they can say it, and if people don’t want to say it they don’t have to. Our country guarantees freedom of religious expression, and we have done a pretty good job of upholding that guarantee. Our constitution also says that congress cannot make laws respecting an establishment of religion. We have done a pretty good job of upholding that guarantee as well. The only thing I do have a problem with is our currency. I do not like the expression “in God we trust” as it is not entirely accurate of our nation’s religious beliefs. A more accurate expression would be “in God some trust”. As you know, I go to a religious school, but I do not feel uncomfortable expressing my beliefs (although I tend to stay away from religious debate). I still participate in all of the catholic services, the morning prayer, ect.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 10:06:49 PM »

Why the hell could man not survive if earth stopped on its axis?

Anyway, it doesn't say that, if you're quoting it correctly.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 10:16:26 PM »

well for starters. the earths magnetic field is supposedly caused by the earth rotating and the destruction of which would pose SIGNIFICANT biohazard. Also areas would go into deep deep deep freezes from no sunlight and other areas would get superheated. PLus the Earth is rotating at an enormous speed. If it suddenly stopped rotating trees people, anything not anchored strongly would be flown off because of the 1000+ MPH breeze of the atmosphere (which is still rotating). And yes Joshua did halt the sun according to the bible. The Bible can be wrong.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 10:18:42 PM »

well for starters. the earths magnetic field is supposedly caused by the earth rotating and the destruction of which would pose SIGNIFICANT biohazard. Also areas would go into deep deep deep freezes from no sunlight and other areas would get superheated. PLus the Earth is rotating at an enormous speed. If it suddenly stopped rotating trees people, anything not anchored strongly would be flown off because of the 1000+ MPH breeze of the atmosphere (which is still rotating). And yes Joshua did halt the sun according to the bible. The Bible can be wrong.

No the is not wrong at all. There is nothing in the Bible that is wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies