Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:17:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 314204 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »

Apparently Handel is entereing the Senate race tomorrow:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Awesome. In other news, Barrow isn't running. National Dem said that Barrow couldn't turn out women and minorities in an off-year.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/political-insider/2013/may/07/john-barrow-will-not-run-senate/
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »

with Barrow out, short of Broun winning, not sure how Dems win this.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »

Maybe this means Michelle Nunn is running? They had a chat a few weeks ago.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »

Damn you John Barrow. We needed that seat.
Can Michelle Nunn win? Maybe Scott Holcomb?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »

Another national Dem said Barrow is too conservative to juice the base. Apparently Nunn has made noise before, so they're taking her potential interest with a grain of salt. All the others don't have the statewide network or name ID that Barrow and Nunn would.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/blogs/hotlineoncall/2013/05/barrow-won-t-run-for-senate-as-dems-eye-backup-07
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »

Haven't we had minority and women candidates running in midterm years in this state? And did they ever win or come close to winning??

John Barrow is really dumb, for real.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »

I'm not mad at John Barrow. This allows him to keep control of his Congressional district, which is more important for now.

If Broun or Gingrey does make it through to the general, then Nunn or Holcomb will be strong enough to win. If Handel, Price, or Kingston is the nominee, then I doubt Barrow could've beat them anyway.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2013, 05:03:30 AM »

Well, this is awful. Obviously I'm not from the Barrow wing of the party, but I'm realistic: it'd take someone like him to win this seat in 2014 - and that's against Broun. Electorate's bound to be between 61-62% white next year; it's going to take a white conservadem to have a shot.

Barrow, on the other hand, must either think that he'll have a shot at 2016, or doesn't want to be a Senator. Maybe a deal was struck? If he doesn't run in 2016, then he'll probably never get a shot otherwise. The shifts in the state and within the Democratic Party won't be too welcoming to him past then if he doesn't get into the Senate. The primaries that DPG is worried about will become a bigger likelihood by the end of the decade as you have everyone lining up to try to win statewide office.

I'd actually like to see him run for Governor instead, but the state party's saying he will stay in his CD.

As far as Michelle Nunn goes: does she look like the next Senator from Georgia? Maybe - if she doesn't talk about progress, empathy and cooperation.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »

Apparently Nunn is stronger in the general election than Barrow:

There are a ton of undecideds, so I'm not sure I'd read too far into it though.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »

Price isn't running for Senate after all.

Handel looks more likely to get in, since she won't be able to run for Price's House seat.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »

Price isn't running for Senate after all.

Handel looks more likely to get in, since she won't be able to run for Price's House seat.

Didn't expect the Price to be right given the noise Handel's been making. Hopefully she gets in soon, both would be excellent Senators.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2013, 12:46:46 PM »

Hopefully she gets in soon, both would be excellent Senators.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »

Apparently Nunn is considering declaring before next week's GAGOP convention.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »

Per NRO, Handel's entry is a matter of "when", not "if."

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/347960
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »

Yep, and no real room for Price in that GOP field.. he would rather keep house leadership which makes sense.

I don't see a path to victory for Michelle Nunn, even if she is a copy of the wonderful Carol Porter, she didn't win either (against the corrupt and unlikable Cagle) granted it was 2010 but still, both are "strong businesswomen with experience in politics" both will probably do something folksy related to "good government" etc. and I don't see it working.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »

Handel won't announce before or during the GAGOP convention next Saturday.

http://atr.rollcall.com/karen-handel-senate-run-likely-in-georgia/
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »

Well, this is awful. Obviously I'm not from the Barrow wing of the party, but I'm realistic: it'd take someone like him to win this seat in 2014 - and that's against Broun. Electorate's bound to be between 61-62% white next year; it's going to take a white conservadem to have a shot.

Barrow, on the other hand, must either think that he'll have a shot at 2016, or doesn't want to be a Senator. Maybe a deal was struck? If he doesn't run in 2016, then he'll probably never get a shot otherwise. The shifts in the state and within the Democratic Party won't be too welcoming to him past then if he doesn't get into the Senate. The primaries that DPG is worried about will become a bigger likelihood by the end of the decade as you have everyone lining up to try to win statewide office.

I'd actually like to see him run for Governor instead, but the state party's saying he will stay in his CD.

As far as Michelle Nunn goes: does she look like the next Senator from Georgia? Maybe - if she doesn't talk about progress, empathy and cooperation.

Barrow's situation is complex because he's a moderate to conservative Dem and his state appears to be trending left nationally.  If he wants to go statewide, he needs to follow a similar path to Mark Warner and be prepared to drift into line with national D's over the decade if he wins.  I think he is holding out for 2016 and a Hillary run.  He wouldn't need a mentally ill opponent to take that seat in a presidential year.

He could also be eyeing the (presumably) open seat 2018 Gov race.  He would likely have either President Hillary or an R midterm at his back.  He would also get to veto 2021 redistricting if he won, which could be huge for the state party (how viable is holding the GOP under 2/3rds in the legislature?). 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2013, 01:34:56 AM »

Haven't we had minority and women candidates running in midterm years in this state? And did they ever win or come close to winning??

John Barrow is really dumb, for real.

I don't think so. If Handel came out of the Primary, he's out of a job, and more wacko birds and less Tom Price, the better it is for her. I think he's making a smart choice in terms of keeping an already at risk seat.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2013, 03:35:51 AM »

Barrow's situation is complex because he's a moderate to conservative Dem and his state appears to be trending left nationally.  If he wants to go statewide, he needs to follow a similar path to Mark Warner and be prepared to drift into line with national D's over the decade if he wins.  I think he is holding out for 2016 and a Hillary run.  He wouldn't need a mentally ill opponent to take that seat in a presidential year.

He could also be eyeing the (presumably) open seat 2018 Gov race.  He would likely have either President Hillary or an R midterm at his back.  He would also get to veto 2021 redistricting if he won, which could be huge for the state party (how viable is holding the GOP under 2/3rds in the legislature?). 

I agree. It was either in one of the earlier articles or from another source that I read the biggest concern for Barrow was that he would not be capable of elevating turnout or enthusiasm among females or African-Americans, which is obvious. In 2016, Hillary and/or a presidential year turnout could put Barrow in for sure. This arrangement makes the most sense: Nunn now, Barrow in '16. If he doesn't run then, though, it's going to be hard for him to win any statewide race. Maybe Governor, like you said, but I think once Georgia is in the position to flip, statewide races are going to become real Democratic-leaning, real fast.

And for holding the Republicans under 2/3rds with the current maps: yes, but not by much. Effectively, you'll probably still have a 'conservative' supermajority until a few of those House districts break out late-decade.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »

I agree. It was either in one of the earlier articles or from another source that I read the biggest concern for Barrow was that he would not be capable of elevating turnout or enthusiasm among females or African-Americans, which is obvious. In 2016, Hillary and/or a presidential year turnout could put Barrow in for sure. This arrangement makes the most sense: Nunn now, Barrow in '16. If he doesn't run then, though, it's going to be hard for him to win any statewide race. Maybe Governor, like you said, but I think once Georgia is in the position to flip, statewide races are going to become real Democratic-leaning, real fast.

And for holding the Republicans under 2/3rds with the current maps: yes, but not by much. Effectively, you'll probably still have a 'conservative' supermajority until a few of those House districts break out late-decade.

I'm not so sure about this.  Remember, it took a Republican midterm to really get the process started in VA.  And in NC it started with Obama's near landslide 2008 win, but then you had the concurrent trend of conservaDems abandoning downballot D's there. Georgia seems to be drifting left, but I think it will take a Republican midterm to push it over the edge statewide.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »

David Perdue, Sonny Perdue's cousin and a businessman, is exploring a gubernatorial run.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/political-insider/2013/may/13/better-georgia-poll-michelle-nunn-would-be-competi/

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »

Better Georgia poll: Jason Carter viable for Gubernatorial run

http://bettergeorgia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Voters-Concerns-Over-Cronyism-Corruption-Threaten-Deals-Re-Election-Hopes.pdf
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

I'd prefer Carter here. Though Holcombe would be good too. Minority candidates are a no-no though. Sorry Stacey.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

Excellent news.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies