An apology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:54:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  An apology
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: An apology  (Read 1164 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »

As the election is getting closer, I feel like my posts have gotten a bit angrier.  The idea that the Republican Party I used to love has settled on Mitt Romney and they're not getting blown out as punishment is really getting to me in these final days, even though I feel good that this guy won't win. 

Sorry if I've been abrasive, classist, racist, and whatever.  With only a day to go, I'm going to try and cool off.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »

As the election is getting closer, I feel like my posts have gotten a bit angrier.  The idea that the Republican Party I used to love has settled on Mitt Romney and they're not getting blown out as punishment is really getting to me in these final days, even though I feel good that this guy won't win. 

Sorry if I've been abrasive, classist, racist, and whatever.  With only a day to go, I'm going to try and cool off.

Look, nobody has settled on Mitt Romney. He was the last man standing.

Now, you are either for him and consequently against Obama, or you support Obama.
The choice is clear.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »

I didn't notice it, but okay. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »

Now, you are either for him and consequently against Obama, or you support Obama.
The choice is clear.

I'd rather have a good candidate in 2016.  Sorry.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

You're a good poster, King.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »

The choice is clear.

Johnson? Anderson? Goode? Stein?
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »

The choice is clear.

I'd rather have a good candidate in 2016.  Sorry.

Yes, we’ll all be sorry.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

You are a good poster man and one of the "sane blue state" people i can stand on here.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2012, 05:40:47 PM by Orion0 »

As the election is getting closer, I feel like my posts have gotten a bit angrier.  The idea that the Republican Party I used to love has settled on Mitt Romney and they're not getting blown out as punishment is really getting to me in these final days, even though I feel good that this guy won't win.  

Sorry if I've been abrasive, classist, racist, and whatever.  With only a day to go, I'm going to try and cool off.

You are a good poster man and one of the "sane blue state" people i can stand on here.

I wouldn't let the fawning of the rabid leftists on this site get your ego inflated. Oh wait, already happened. Hence your self important "apology" for supporting Obama. Best believe they'd label you a racist, classist, extremist etc if you supported Romney... Oh wait you did that for them too...
Apology not accepted.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Apology accepted. If this was Santorum I'm sure I'd be behaving similarly.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

At least I wouldn't be treating my decision on who to vote for as a coin flip if it was Saintly Rick on the ticket.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »

I havent noticed you being angry or anything. Tbh, I couldn't really tell if you were really a republican or an independent (im not saying this in a bad way btw)

I just want to say for years I used to consider myself an independent-minded republican. At certain times I'd support a third party or a democrat over a less-than-acceptable republican. I've done it a few times this year (McCaskill over Akin etc...)

But, this year I can no longer claim the label I was proud to carry for the last few years. And I'm not ashamed of it. I have too much disdain, and dislike for President Obama as a politician to NOT support Romney.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »

One of the best, in fact.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »

King was actually a Republican at some point? I thought the avatar was ironic.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »

I wasn't actually sure if King was actually ever a Republican or was just being ironic about the avatar. I guess this clears that up.

Was there anyone else in this primary that you would've liked to support instead of Romney?

I am also pretty disappointed in Romney. I wish he hadn't sold out so many of his positions from being Governor and had a more positive campaign. But unfortunately, he had to run in the year of Gingrich/Santorum/Perry/Bachmann/Cain. I can see why he tried to portray himself as "severely conservative", because otherwise he would've lost the nomination, but I'd have had much more respect for his campaign if he had stood his ground. Him, Huntsman, and Johnson were the only ones I could have supported from this primary, which is disappointing because two of them got nowhere and one had to go against much of what I liked about him in the process.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »

Apology accepted. If this was Santorum I'm sure I'd be behaving similarly.

Yep.

King, you're one of the best posters on this forum. It's always a pleasure to read your posts and you've never once come off as angry to me.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »

You're not the only person here who needs to offer this forum an apology.

I too would like to apologize for my erractic behavior these past few months.  It seems the more and more I come on here (and admittedly looking in the 2012 board doesn't help) I just get angrier and angrier.  I don't know why, but it's like each time I see something that normally would just be a mild irritation I just lose it.  I look at my posts lately and I don't like the person I see behind those posts.

I've said a lot of hurtful things lately, some of them to posters I consider to be good people.  Whether or not there is a forum bias, whether or not there is a load of petty partisanship, doesn't excuse my latest behavior on here.  In the act of pointing out what I perceived to be intolerance in other posters, I've only revealed my own deep ingrained intolerance.

Atlas Forum, I apologize.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »

Why are the good posters apologizing? Why is it that we have countless hacks doing their thing and then the good posters are apologizing? This doesn't add up.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 08:27:51 PM »

I heart King
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »

King was actually a Republican at some point? I thought the avatar was ironic.

^^^^
t_host1

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »

This thread and others hear in the community are like going to the confessional prior to mass, however in this case, the voting booth. Don’t get me wrong, all good, so, go in peace and for good measure, a penance of 10 ‘Hail Mary’s and 5 Our Fathers’ and welcome to the Kingdom of Political Past, Present and it’s Future, Amen…
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:09:19 AM »

Thank you, t_host1, for your kind words.  This thread was really an apology to you, most of all.

But seriously, I wasn't fishing for compliments rather just trying to express how much I hate all the anger and distrust that's even catching on me recently.

Yes, I am a Republican.  People who have known me on this forum should know this.  I wasn't very vocal about it, but I did support Newt in the primaries though I knew he had no shot in the general and was unpresidential as a person.  I actually supported Herman Cain first and seriously supported him while most were just being ironic.  He wasn't very bright and I don't think he would have won either, but like Newt he stood for something I enjoy about politics: the idea of coming up with ideas.

Republicanism to me, even back when it was Rockefeller Republicans, was about finding better ways to make the tough choices.  Democrats are very by the book: solve problems by establishing the committee, drafting the regulations, and funding the state program.  It doesn't fit my mind.  I like to see ingenuity.  I refuse to believe there isn't a way to get the same desired result through more efficient means.

Newt's a horrible person, but he is that kind of guy.  He would always talk about the partisans on both sides would argue "we have two stupid ideas, which one should we do" and he believed in coming up with a new idea.  That's the kind of thinking Republicans need to get back to being instead of this far-right headtrip.  There's a lot of GOPers who used to be this way.  George W. Bush blew all this political capital on wars, but his domestic policy was very much creative.

That's not what the Republican Party is today.  They really have become the party of No, or worse, the party of Ignore.  They fight the Democratic solution and then ignore the problem once the debate ends.

Mitt Romney doesn't embody what I believe in, Paul Ryan might have been, but the debates turned me off to both at the end completely.  They're both too small-minded to earn my vote.  The thing I hated the most about this campaign were Romney/Ryan's attacks on the spending cuts Obama made to Medicare and Defense.  It's unbelievable that conservatives, no less, are letting these guys get away with making those attacks.  Since when are Republicans believers in "X only works if we throw money at it?"  Achieving a stronger national defense through less defense spending is something we should champion.

If the Republican Party wants to become a real winner of a ticket again, they need to become the party of creative solutions.  Until then, I'd rather settle on the Democratic way than doing nothing at all.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 03:35:14 AM »

With hindsight, I'd probably say Newt would've been a better nominee as well.  Purely because he was someone that did try and find alternative ideas, which would be much more productive then the current strategy of just attacking everything Obama does while being vague. I didn't agree with him on a bunch of issues, but he was definitely one of the more fascinating candidates to me this time around and I didn't have an actual disdain of him like I did with Santorum/Bachmann/Perry. I would've liked to see him go up against Obama.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies