Your top 3 senate races you most care about on election night?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:33:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Your top 3 senate races you most care about on election night?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your top 3 senate races you most care about on election night?  (Read 1640 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
« edited: November 04, 2012, 02:08:44 PM by BlondeArtisit »

1 North Dakota
- Rick Berg represents everything wrong with politics today. He's in politics because he has money but the super-pacs decide policies and he votes inline. If he had no money and just looked at the candidate he wouldn't be near public office. Heidi Heitkamp has run the best campaign and deserves to be elected not just for the benefit of North Dakota but America needs more of her kind in the senate.

2 Nebraska
- Deb Fischer another of this new mould republican stinking rich yet totally in the pocket of the super pacs. Doesn't deserve to be 1 of 100 people in the country that decides the laws of this nation. A complete joke and just another doormat for Grover Norquist. On the other side again its all about someone who is oldschool and is the kind of democrat America needs more of. He will stand up to Harry Reid, he is respected and he can bang heads together. Deb Fischer offers nothing but breakdown.

3 Missouri
- How mentally ill are these people or are they so insane that they have no idea that they vote for people who belong in the loony tunes party? Its just unacceptable in the 21st century to go to the ballot box and vote for Todd Akin embarassing that people who will vote for Akin have the ability to reproduce but its a reflection of society and how religion still persuades the minds of the weak. I'm expecting moderate republicans to vote 3rd party fine thats understandable but it would be a disaster for Missouri and the country if Todd Akin is elected as 1 of 100 people writing the laws of the nation.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota- We have three excellent, qualified, charismatic, likable, and moderate candidates in these 3 states, and I really want them to win. Democrats will need to remain competitive in the Great Plains to avoid a further decline in the coming years.
HST1948

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »

1. Wisconsin- A Tammy Baldwin win would be a historic win on so many levels.  In addition, it would help put a hold on the narrative that Scott Walker has made Wisconsin a safe GOP state.  Her voice is needed in the Senate. And Tommy Thompson is one person whose career I would love to see end because he was just too lazy to run a good campaign in a race that should have been his.  

2. New Mexico- Martin Heinrich seems like he's someone that could have a bright future in the Democratic party.  I would certainly like to see where he goes.  

3.  Missouri- I moved from New York to Missouri to go to medical school and have lived in the state for a couple of years now.  I never particularly liked Claire... she always came across as to populist and as an old school kind of Democrat for me.  However, I saw her speak when she came to my University and she really changed my opinion of her.  In addition, the idea of having a Senator Akin just makes me slightly nauseous.

Runner ups: Massachusetts & Ohio.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »

Ohio, Massachusetts, Missouri.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »

In order:

Montana, Virginia, Massachusetts
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »

Massachusetts - Warren has long been one of my favorites, and I was really upset by the loss of this seat back in 2010 - revenge will be sweet.  Grin

Nevada - I have no idea where this race is going anymore, so it will be very interesting to watch and see.

Missouri - I've long had a soft-spot for McCaskill and (as mentioned before) the idea of Todd Akin in the Senate is terrifying.

Runner-ups: North Dakota and Indiana
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

In order: Virginia, Wisconsin, and Connecticut.

Runner-ups: Massachusetts, Nebraska
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

North Dakota, Montana, Missouri.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »

1. Wisconsin - Tammy is an awesome person and would make an awesome Senator
2. Massachusetts - Teddy Kennedy's seat needs to back in Democratic hands
3. Montana - I love me some Montana Democrats
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »

I find the comments made by the OP to be just as disturbing in some cases as the comments made by these self destructing candidates.

1. Nevada - Dean Heller is a capable, sane and honest man who I tend to agree with on most issues that I care about. He has also ran a good campaign and I hope he is able to hold on, even as Romney losses the state.

2. Arizona - Jeff Flake is someone that I watched in the House for years and was impressed by his both his committment to principle and his willingness to tell the Delay-Hastert GOP leadership team to shove it, sideways. I think that he is someone who will be able to bridge a gap with a lot of Libertarian leaning Republicans and that is something the Republican party needs to do going forward.

3. Montana - There are a lot of things about Rehberg that turn me off, but this is a deeply conservative state, if not as much Republican and it is a seat that was only lost because of Burns and his corruption and should be one the GOP regains. I even think that Rehberg should have ran in 2006 and had he done that, he would be an incumbent looking to win reelection in a landslide now.

Had MO, ND, and NE selected different candidates, I would be more interested in them and they may have knocked one or even all of the ones listed off.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

1.Indiana
2.Missouri
3.Nevada
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »

Massachusetts:  this is the marquee Senate race of the cycle.  Not only does Warren's expertise in economics and bankruptcy law have the potential to make a significant policy impact in the Senate, but I think there is potential for her to be a Democratic political star, the sort of politician that candidates in other states ask to come campaign for them.  

Wisconsin:  Baldwin's position on issues is something of a progressive's wet dream.  This race is close and a victory by Baldwin in this Democratic-tinged swing state would be critical in staunching the Republican tide that has been running in Wisconsin lately.  It would show that liberals can win statewide in swing states, a la Sherrod Brown.  And electing the first openly gay candidate to the U.S. Senate would be huge for the LGBT community.

Washington:  Admittedly this is uncompetitive and Cantwell is going to win huge against a very weak opponent.  But I would be lying if I did not include my home state race as one of the most important to me.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »

North Dakota, Wisconsin, Massachusetts.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »

1. Massachusetts
Not that I have much against Scott Brown, but I really like Elizabeth Warren and would very much like to see her in the Senate.
2. Wisconsin
I agree with most of Tammy Baldwin's positions, and, like others here, desire some sign that all is not lost for progressivism in Wisconsin.  I would also like to note that Thompson is more moderate than Walker (at least that's how it seems to me) and that Baldwin is surely more liberal than Barrett.  This could mean of two things: either Walker won mainly on the votes of people who didn't think that a recall was warranted, or better yet, that progressive Democrats are simply more appealing to the state's electorate than are moderate ones.  Either way, I will feel at least somewhat vindicated if Baldwin wins on election night.
3. Missouri
I differ from others in that the main reason I hope McCaskill wins is because of the stand I seem to remember her taking a couple of years ago against secret holds; I think this indicates that she is the sort of reformer of the Senate rules who is so sorely needed right now; my revulsion at Akin is just one more reason for me to pull for McCaskill.

Of course, I also care about all three of these races because they could determine control of the Senate; I will be interested to hear the results from all Senate races across the country, but these are my top three.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

Ohio: Sherrod Brown is one of my favorite Senators.  Josh Mandel is the Pete Campbell of Ohio politics.  Enough said.

Massachusetts: Prior to the campaign I didn't think Scott Brown was that bad, now he just strikes me as an obnoxious jerk.  Every time Brown calls Warren "professor" as if it is an insult, it makes him sound like a dumb middle-schooler yelling "NERD" at a classmate b/c they have glasses or something.  This campaign has often felt like a "jock vs. egghead" death-match and I blame Brown for that.  Also Warren will make an excellent Senator.  Btw, some food for thought for Republicans: if Senate Republicans hadn't blocked Warren's confirmation, Brown would be safe this year.  Instead, it looks like they will have to get used to hearing "Senator Warren."  The Lord works in mysterious ways, no? Wink

Wisconsin: I can't wait to see that bay area liberal, Tommy Thompson, lose to Tammy Baldwin Smiley  Baldwin would make a great Senator, but I'm going to be honest and say that if she wins, Krazen will have made this victory that much sweeter!

Honorable mentions: Montana (Tester is a great Senator), Virginia, Missouri, and Indiana (because of the Republican candidates)

Dishonorable mentions: Nebraska.  Both candidates are awful.  Honestly, I'd probably vote third party in this race if I lived in this state.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »

Arizona, Massachusetts, Ohio.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

Nevada - Senator Berkley is by far the most superb candidate running in this cycle (both inside and out) and she will make a fantastic addition to the Senate

Wisconsin - I really want there to be an open lesbian in the Senate

Missouri - Obvious reasons
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

Missouri - the race of the century

Indiana - see above

Virginia - it would be good to have Allen back in the Senate, but we'll have to see.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »

Wisconsin, Indiana and Nebraska.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

Massachusetts and Virginia because I like the Dem nominees (though Brown's not so bas) and Montana, just cause it's so close.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »

Missouri, Wisconsin, North Dakota.

Honorable mentions to any other close race bar maybe Nevada.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »

Wisconsin - A Baldwin win is a must for future of American progressivism. First LGBT senator, she'll recover some of progressivism and can make national inroads.
North Dakota - Democratic should open dialogue again with rural segments of country and retake some populist elements than are needed to do reforms.
Nebraska - If Kerrey pull out this race, he can be a voice of experience in Senate, helping country to advance.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »

1. Wisconsin
2. Wisconsin
3. Wisconsin

I'm gonna be heartbroken if Tammy loses. She's the perfect Feingold replacement.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »

Factoring in the closeness of the race:

1 Wisconsin
2 Montana
3 Missouri

Honorable mentions go to Ohio, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Virginia, Indiana and North Dakota. And, if you include absolute cakewalks, Vermont as well
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »

1. NV-Heller    (pro-civil liberties, plus what NCYankee said)
2. AZ-Flake     (libertarianish, record opposing indiscriminate sanctions, plus what NCYankee said)
3. MA-Brown   (I like having an R in Mass, for sentimental reasons Tongue)
honorable mention: FL-Mack    (would be great, but a longshot)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies