My experience with a not likely voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:33:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My experience with a not likely voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My experience with a not likely voter  (Read 207 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »
« edited: November 04, 2012, 01:33:08 AM by Dying Thoughts of a Martyr »

Today was my last day of work before the election. My job is so overwhelmingly liberal even the upper management openly make fun of prominent Republicans and one guy had to wear a McCain/Palin shirt to work one day after losing a bet. One even famously pointed out the weed stains on the bottom of an employee's lighter during a smoke break, laughed at the guy when he tried to make up excuses about dropping it in mud, stated he didn't care and then promoted the guy a few months later. So I know that most people I remind to vote and explain how to register will be voting the right way and you don't have to be a microtargeting expert to see how a bunch of mostly young people who mostly have some higher education experience and background in the Twin Cities are going to vote. But I had one pretty painful experience today. I was explaining how to vote and the gay marriage amendment to one guy (who by the way is not by any indication particularly religious or socially conservative.)

Him: "So wait voting no is voting against gay marriage?"
Me: "No, that's voting against banning it. Voting yes is voting against gay marriage."
Him: "Oh so voting yes is voting against gay marriage. That's weird they made it that way. I'm voting yes then."
(I assumed he had to be joking.)
Other guy a few spots down: *things I couldn't make out but clearly disapproving*
Him: *Some stuff about how he's not threatened by gays and they already have the rights to do what they want*

*Inane debate followed between him and the other guy, the other guy using the standard liberal talking points and his argument basically consisting of....well it didn't really consist of anything beyond something about how if gay couples adopt kids those kids could also grow up to be gay or something like that.*

Guys behind me: *snickering and mocking at what they're hearing this guy say*

Him: So I vote yes then. So when do I vote anyway, Monday?
Me: Sometime around then.
Him: And where do I vote anyway?
Me: That depends on where you live.
Him: Bloomington.
Me: Well there's a lot of places there.
Him: Do I vote in the mall then? It's probably the mall.
(Referring to Mall of America obviously)
Me: It depends entirely where you live in the city.

Being vague as possible for obvious reasons. For more intelligent folks who'll vote my way I obviously gave better and more detailed instructions. He then went on about how he's not registered, not sure how to vote and never has. It was then time my shift ended. I left pretty assured that he will not vote, but pretty frustrated that such people can exist.

Just before leaving he asked if I was voting for Romney. After obviously responding no and yes to that I was voting for Obama he asked why I would ever vote for Obama, and seemed to have no reaction positive or negative to my listings of Obama's accomplishments and Romney's negatives.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:29:41 AM »

So only the people whose views line up with your own should be guided to express them? Your anecdote is depressing in more ways than you think.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies