WaPo: GOP may add to 2010 house gains
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:37:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WaPo: GOP may add to 2010 house gains
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WaPo: GOP may add to 2010 house gains  (Read 1842 times)
Cliffy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:32:28 AM »

Well PPP, Marist, Susa and Quinn, would all be wrong then, because the electorate would be different than they are suggesting......

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/11/02/house-republicans-could-add-to-their-majority-on-election-day/?print=1
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »

It's certainly possible. I'd say at least 2 out of 3 Congressional Districts are now more conservative than they were in 2010. If we were still under the districts that the Tea Party coasted to victory on in the mid-terms, Democrats would be almost certain to retake the House.

Middle America picked a real good time to try a sample of crazy. The reactionary decisions in 2010 of many moderate and swing voters all across the country will lead to nothing but regret for all of us over the next decade.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »

I believe it, people may want divided government just like in the 1990's.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »

If this proves to be the case on Tuesday, it will be the last time Nancy Pelosi holds any sort of leadership position. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »

The Congressional gerrymandering is pretty disgusting.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »

Yep...

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 02:22:25 AM »

And that's what we got in a state with a Democratic governor. Imagine what it's like in the states completely controlled by the Republican party. Meanwhile, we unilaterally disarmed here in California. The Charlie Mungers of the world only care about redistricting in states controlled by Democrats. Screw him.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »

And that's what we got in a state with a Democratic governor. Imagine what it's like in the states completely controlled by the Republican party. Meanwhile, we unilaterally disarmed here in California. The Charlie Mungers of the world only care about redistricting in states controlled by Democrats. Screw him.

You're telling me. I'm pretty sure a federal court struck down some of the GOP's gerrymandering...sorry...redistricting in my state.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »

Lol.

NC Dems gerrymandered the sh*t out of NC for DECADES! Don't try and demonize the pubbies there. You've had the Governor's mansion for 16 years.

NC Dem's powertrip on the local/congressional/gubernatorial level is coming to an end.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 02:39:28 AM »

Lol.

NC Dems gerrymandered the sh*t out of NC for DECADES! Don't try and demonize the pubbies there. You've had the Governor's mansion for 16 years.

NC Dem's powertrip on the local/congressional/gubernatorial level is coming to an end.

No serious person can look at that chart and say the new layout of congressional districts is more fairly proportional than the former.

And that's what we got in a state with a Democratic governor. Imagine what it's like in the states completely controlled by the Republican party.

I don't have to imagine.

Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »

Lol.

Did. You. Look. At. The. Goddamn. Numbers?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 02:43:23 AM »

Lol.

Did. You. Look. At. The. Goddamn. Numbers?

Antonio, before you ask someone a math or reading comprehension question around here, look at what state they're from.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 03:30:54 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2012, 03:58:19 AM by MilesC56 »

No serious person can look at that chart and say the new layout of congressional districts is more fairly proportional than the former.

And that's what we got in a state with a Democratic governor. Imagine what it's like in the states completely controlled by the Republican party.

I don't have to imagine.

Sad

Well NC is unique in that the Governor has control over redistricting.

Don't try and demonize the pubbies there. You've had the Governor's mansion for 16 years.

Actually, 20 years Wink

Yes, I surely have no reason to criticize them over districts like this or this.

As Marokai says, you can't argue that 10-3 R is even a remotely decent reflection of an otherwise near- 50/50 state.

Anywho, lets not talk about this too much. A certain avatarless troll has an annoying habit of hijacking such threads about NC redistricting....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 03:37:28 AM »

Cook recently released his PVI ratings for all of the new districts.  The median district (i.e. the tipping point seat that determines control of the House) is now R+3, up from R+2 in the last decade, and R+1 in the '90s.  It's obviously getting tougher for the Dems to take and hold the House.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »

North Carolina's redistricting is only done the legislature, unfortunately Perdue can't veto those maps.

This is actually why a loss in 2016 may not be that bad. Would mean we generally get fairer maps around the country.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 03:47:46 AM »

I don't think you'll see Republican gains in the House, but it does look like they're almost guaranteed to keep the Majority. I do think it is mostly the result of Republican legislative gains in 2010 leading to noticeably more rampant gerrymandering. North Carolina is without a doubt one of the most egregious results of this in the country. It's a racial gerrymander that the Obama Justice Department should have fought (namely the ridiculous 12th district). In any sane map, you would have separate Charlotte and Winston-Salem—Greensboro districts.

It really is a shame the Supreme Court didn't put an end to this in prior cases, and there were a few justices that were leaning that way. It's disgusting when either party draws themselves into power. I think it's a complete mockery of the democratic system that we allow politicians to draw their own districts. I definitely support neutral redistricting commissions in all states. The problem comes when the focus is on unilateral disarmament on the Democratic side, while Republicans still have their way in their states. There needs to be a big push to force nonpartisan redistricting across the country, such as the California citizens' redistricting model.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »

It's one thing to find the new NC map utterly disgusting (because it is) it's quite another to use it to justify generic partisan outrage at how nasty the other lot are. Like it or not, the NC Dems had it coming.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »

I won't defend the NC Democrats from criticism on this issue. I know full well that it was their fault that the governor had no veto power over redistricting. Unfortunately, it's national Democrats that will also pay the price since at least three seats look gone with a possible fourth. Even so, it really is quite something to turn an Obama state into a 10-3 McCain majority. I'm not going to play the holier-than-thou game, but nowhere did Democrats go that far. That's the equivalent of stretching Chicago into downstate districts. With that said, I don't think what North Carolina Republicans did was right and I don't think what Illinois Democrats did was right. However, it's ridiculous that Democrats are subject to unilateral disarmament on the issue. I support neutral redistricting across the board.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »

The above post is amusing nonsense. Will County, Illinois was split into 6 Congressional districts.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »

Imagine what it's like in the states completely controlled by the Republican party.

Florida has a Republican governor, a veto-proof Republican majority in both houses, and an entirely Republican cabinet. We ended up with Corrine Brown's district of entirely black Democrats running from northern Jacksonville to southern Orlando. There's a special Hispanic district (SD 14) around Orlando that runs from east Orange County towards downtown Orlando to Kissimmee and Osceola County all the way to Haines City in the west. If you draw a straight line from the northern end to the southern end you enter and exit the district 8 times. In South Florida there's a Senate district that starts near Marco Island and crosses the entire peninsula to take in a single neighborhood south of Miami. In Orange County Republicans were so desperate to keep Andy Gardiner in his seat that his downtown Orlando district now runs out to Merritt Island. Daytona Beach got split in half.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »

The above post is amusing nonsense. Will County, Illinois was split into 6 Congressional districts.

I'm referring to the state as a whole. As I said, I don't defend partisan redistricting in any instance, including what happened in Illinois. Where exactly did I defend that map? My point was that the end result is far more obscene in the North Carolina map. At the very least, NC-12 should be struck down as an illegal racial gerrymander. It's completely nonsensical to string together Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro along with random territory in between. Like I said before, I don't support one side laying down arms while the other does not, but I'm not afraid to call out both sides on this issue. Can the same be said of you?

If you don't mind, I'd be more than happy to take this to another board so that we can compare our own versions on how the states should be drawn ideally (that is, unless you only view Democratic gerrymanders as bad and NC as just fine, in which case this conversation will almost certainly go nowhere).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »

Somewhat unlikely, but it wouldn't be too shocking. I expect single-digit Democratic gains.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »

I'm referring to the state as a whole. As I said, I don't defend partisan redistricting in any instance, including what happened in Illinois. Where exactly did I defend that map? My point was that the end result is far more obscene in the North Carolina map. At the very least, NC-12 should be struck down as an illegal racial gerrymander. It's completely nonsensical to string together Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro along with random territory in between. Like I said before, I don't support one side laying down arms while the other does not, but I'm not afraid to call out both sides on this issue. Can the same be said of you?

If you don't mind, I'd be more than happy to take this to another board so that we can compare our own versions on how the states should be drawn ideally (that is, unless you only view Democratic gerrymanders as bad and NC as just fine, in which case this conversation will almost certainly go nowhere).

Right here, with this statement that isn't particularly true.

Even so, it really is quite something to turn an Obama state into a 10-3 McCain majority. I'm not going to play the holier-than-thou game, but nowhere did Democrats go that far. That's the equivalent of stretching Chicago into downstate districts.

Not only did you guys initially connect Charlotte, WS, and Greensboro in the last mapping, you guys also dropped Chicago into Kankakee County. But I guess you'd have to willfully not look closely at the 12 congressional districts that hit Chicagoland in order to make such statements.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

The Democrats were the ones who initially drew a strip-corridor when the 12th was added to the state in the 1990's.

There was no veto in NC until the early 1990's when it was returned to the Governor for the first time since Reconstruction. Since there had just been a Republican Governor, the Democrats felt more secure in redistricting by leaving that out of the re-instated veto power. Not that vetos would have mattered, because the Republicans have a veto proof majority in one chamber and close to it in another. They would have simply did what what the MO GOP did and they needed far more defectors in that state.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 10:26:36 AM »

The old NC-12 was wrong, just as this one is. It should be struck down either way. I don't care that Democrats drew it that way, but it is even worse now. If I can admit that what Democrats do can be wrong, why can you not admit what Republicans do can be wrong as well?

Once again, I'm not defending the Illinois map, but there are six at least somewhat reasonable looking districts downstate (12-13, 15-18). All of the other districts are in what is considered be Chicagoland. I won't dispute that there is a mess there, but the ugliest of those is the result of VRA-compliance (just as I'll admit NC-01 is). Are you only going to justify NC-12 based on the past? What about NC-04? I'm not justifying any of it, as my only point was that NC is more nonsensical than IL (but it's still wrong either way). I don't see the point in arguing this, as we're not going to agree on what is worse (nor does it ultimately matter). I'd rather see your ideas of what IL and NC should look like.

You also didn't answer my other points.

The Democrats were the ones who initially drew a strip-corridor when the 12th was added to the state in the 1990's.

There was no veto in NC until the early 1990's when it was returned to the Governor for the first time since Reconstruction. Since there had just been a Republican Governor, the Democrats felt more secure in redistricting by leaving that out of the re-instated veto power. Not that vetos would have mattered, because the Republicans have a veto proof majority in one chamber and close to it in another. They would have simply did what what the MO GOP did and they needed far more defectors in that state.

See my point above. At the least, I do believe NC-12 was justified in some way as VRA-protected in the 90's. That is no longer the case since it isn't even majority-minority. Even as a VRA district, I think it would go too far to warrant protection though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies