Romney's route to victory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:42:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney's route to victory?  (Read 698 times)
Chartist
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »

Romney is apparently campaigning in Pennsylvania all day Sunday and New Hampshire all day Monday. VA + PA + NH is 272 votes, no need for Ohio or Colorado. Is this the Romney camp's gamble on a last path to victory now they won't win Ohio? How much of a chance do you give a strategy like that working?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »

Being someone else than Romney.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »

Except Romney is now doing worse in VA than Colorado.  If we are going to make PA part of the hail mary, then it's obvious the easiest path to victory with that is to go to Maine and try for 269.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »

Romney is apparently campaigning in Pennsylvania all day Sunday and New Hampshire all day Monday. VA + PA + NH is 272 votes, no need for Ohio or Colorado. Is this the Romney camp's gamble on a last path to victory now they won't win Ohio? How much of a chance do you give a strategy like that working?

He employed similar tactics throughout the primaries. It's possible. We'll see.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »

I still think Romney's plan to snag Pennsylvania in the waning days, having done almost nothing there up to now, is wayward, especially since, among all the swing states, I think Pennsylvania is the second least likely for Romney to win.  I think Ohio is still more winnable for Romney than Pennsylvania, but if he lets up in Ohio now, it will definitely slip from his grasp.  The whole batch of states, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Iowa and New Hampshire are more winnable than Pennsylvania at the moment, and getting them all would put Romney one state away.  If it were me, I'd choose Nevada over Pennsylvania, since Romney has a working operation up in Nevada and the state's bad economic times and possibilities of running up numbers in Washoe and the rural counties seem to me more doable than shaving more than 5% of the vote away from Obama with ad buys and one visit to Pa. in the final seconds.  For a Pub to go for Pa. only when the tape is in sight signals desperation to me.  
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

I still think Romney's plan to snag Pennsylvania in the waning days, having done almost nothing there up to now, is wayward, especially since, among all the swing states, I think Pennsylvania is the second least likely for Romney to win.  I think Ohio is still more winnable for Romney than Pennsylvania, but if he lets up in Ohio now, it will definitely slip from his grasp.  The whole batch of states, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Iowa and New Hampshire are more winnable than Pennsylvania at the moment, and getting them all would put Romney one state away.  If it were me, I'd choose Nevada over Pennsylvania, since Romney has a working operation up in Nevada and the state's bad economic times and possibilities of running up numbers in Washoe and the rural counties seem to me more doable than shaving more than 5% of the vote away from Obama with ad buys and one visit to Pa. in the final seconds.  For a Pub to go for Pa. only when the tape is in sight signals desperation to me.  

Nevada is gone. Everybody knows it. Pennsylvania doesn't have early voting.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »

Is this crap what Mitt is hoping for?

Romney 278
Obama 260

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 12:12:38 AM »

Romney 278
Obama 260

I think VA would go to Romney before MN did.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »

Romney 278
Obama 260

I think VA would go to Romney before MN did.

Mitt Romney's campaign disagrees with you.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:21 AM »

I think Romney is still banking on the same states as a month ago.  I would bet that this play into MN and PA is just about marginal effectiveness, symbolism and having too much money for their own good. TV ads have diminishing returns, especially when the other campaign is up on the air.  Romney has reached the saturation point in Ohio and has the negative of Obama ads refuting his message.  In PA or MN he may briefly have a period where Obama isn't countering and voters haven't seen 8000 of his ads already.  Symbolically, Romney is trying to make people think he stands a chance on Tuesday.  Finally, his campaign has a ton of money so why not spend every dime of it. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 12:56:53 AM »

Romney is apparently campaigning in Pennsylvania all day Sunday and New Hampshire all day Monday.

No, he isn't.  He's visiting three states on each day.

Sunday: IA, OH, PA
Monday: VA, OH, NH

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/calendar/?date=2012-11-04

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/calendar/?date=2012-11-05
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 02:50:26 AM »

As that noted politician from Pennsylvania, W.C.Fields, observed: "I spent a year in Philadelphia. I think it was a Sunday."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies