Chris Christie (R-NJ): Obama ‘outstanding’ in response to Hurricane Sandy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:03:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Chris Christie (R-NJ): Obama ‘outstanding’ in response to Hurricane Sandy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Chris Christie (R-NJ): Obama ‘outstanding’ in response to Hurricane Sandy  (Read 4909 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R), generally a harsh critic of President Obama, has nothing but praise for the White House response to Hurricane Sandy.

“The federal government’s response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,” Christie, a top surrogate for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, said on NBC’s “Today.”

He added, “The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/30/chris-christie-obama-outstanding-in-response-to-hurricane-sandy/
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »

Christie is trolling the Romney campaign pretty hard, probably so he can run for an open presidency in '16. He did it with expectations in the run up to the first debate too, though it turned out he was right about how things would work out.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »

Why are we making this a political issue? I think the most important thing is to make sure people get the help they need and are safe in the wake of this storm.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »

Obama's actually going to get a bit of a boost from this, if we want to look at this in political terms.  It WAS going to be 55-44.  Probably 56.5-42.5 now.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:40:30 AM »

Oh, and no reports at all of looting... further proving NJ is about 10,000x more awesome than we are given credit for. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:48:23 AM »

Obama's actually going to get a bit of a boost from this, if we want to look at this in political terms.  It WAS going to be 55-44.  Probably 56.5-42.5 now.  

No, it won't. Incumbents are always almost hurt for acts of God. As for the percentages, please, please tell me those are for NJ and not for the US.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

No, it won't. Incumbents are always almost hurt for acts of God.

Wow, voters blame presidents for hurricanes making landfall?  Damn, tough crowd with high expectations!  No wonder Obama is having such a hard time.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

No, it won't. Incumbents are always almost hurt for acts of God. As for the percentages, please, please tell me those are for NJ and not for the US.

What made you think those are national numbers?  Of course it's NJ.  And they love Christie down the shore... his endorsement of the Obama administration's disaster response is enough to move a few people... this state is 50% independent.  
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

What made you think those are national numbers?  Of course it's NJ.  And they love Christie down the shore... his endorsement of the Obama administration's disaster response is enough to move a few people... this state is 50% independent.  

They're a lot of hacks about.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »

I think I would understand a great deal more about NJ politics than yourself, sir. 
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »

Got to love a politician not being partisan in an election, but my gosh does this man desperately want to be president. If things go sour for Romney next Tuesday, 2016 for Christie begins Wednesday.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »

I think I would understand a great deal more about NJ politics than yourself, sir. 

And what makes you say that?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 10:02:29 AM by Nathan »

Obama's actually going to get a bit of a boost from this, if we want to look at this in political terms.  It WAS going to be 55-44.  Probably 56.5-42.5 now. 

What made you think those are national numbers?  Of course it's NJ.  And they love Christie down the shore... his endorsement of the Obama administration's disaster response is enough to move a few people... this state is 50% independent. 

In Simfan's defense, he's from New Jersey too, he's just a student at Columbia right now. ('Defense', I say, as a student at a large Northeastern non-Ivy...)

State and general governments have generally been quite admirable so far. Christie, Malloy, and Patrick, none of whom I particularly like otherwise, all deserve credit for how this has been handled.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »

You should probably spend at least a few minutes checking out examples before making a sweeping statement. Hurricane Andrew struck Florida in August 1992, left 100,000 homeless in Miami-Dade and was the most costly hurricane at that point yet Bush, the incumbent, carried the state (against expectations curiously)

Hurricane Ike pretty much wrecked Cameron Parish in Louisiana in 2008, yet not only did the incumbent party carry that county, it swung heavily towards them (though it did loose 30% of it's population due to both Katrina and Ike.

There's not much in recent electoral history to argue that it hurts the incumbent.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »

Why not take Christie at his word? He's probably shell shocked and exhausted and happy that the federal government is helping.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »

And what makes you say that?

my near constant study, formal and informal, of the subject for nearly a decade.
wan
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2012, 10:21:54 AM by wan »

If Obama wins re-election then Chris Christie could very well be the next president of these united states after he runs for it in 2016. Hillary Clinton said she has no attention to run in 2016. We'll just have to wait and see how everything plays out.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

Oh, and no reports at all of looting... further proving NJ is about 10,000x more awesome than we are given credit for. 

There are few reports of anything from the afflicted area. The Huffington Post, one of the more active Internet news sources, centered in New York, has trouble getting news our through the Internet.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »

Why are we making this a political issue? I think the most important thing is to make sure people get the help they need and are safe in the wake of this storm.

Exactly.  He didn't say "Oh I'm voting for Obama by the way".......please.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

Why not take Christie at his word? He's probably shell shocked and exhausted and happy that the federal government is helping.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »

Obama is a great leader and a great president. I'm not surprised that his response to this disaster has been perfect.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »

It's a lot better than the Katrina response, that's for sure.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »

Wow, I just saw the video of Christie praising Obama. It sounded more sincere and forceful than anything he's ever said about Romney.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

Why does everything have to have a political framework?  He seems tired as hell and stressed out with what's going on there, to think his praising of Obama was anything other than genuine appreciation in that horrible situation is absurd.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »

In Simfan's defense, he's from New Jersey too, he's just a student at Columbia right now.

Personal attacks will get you nowhere, Nathan.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies