Jacques Barzun 1907-2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:26:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Jacques Barzun 1907-2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jacques Barzun 1907-2012  (Read 373 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
« edited: October 26, 2012, 05:37:43 PM by Japhy Ryder »

Yet another death of a major historian and writer... Though given that he was nearly 105 years old, it can not be too much of a surprise

French Cultural Historian and critique who spend most of his academic life at Colombia. Perhaps one of the last old school classically educated modernist and elitists (as a child Apollinaire used to pop by to his parents and discuss his poetry. Yes, seriously) who was known for his opposition to what he termed "egalitarianism" in University life and for a somewhat cranky yet erudite and educated approach to the contemporary period. Wrote From Dawn and Decadence in his 90s which somewhat perversely became a best-seller, a rather interesting cultural history of Europe over the past 400 years in many ways if incredibly rambling and featuring the most disorganized referencing system I have ever seen (Disclosure: I have not read all of it, but the last few chapters on the last 100 years are worth reading, even if fogeyish/quite mad).

More can read about him here and here
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

A truly brilliant soul, a great thinker and historian, and his loss is made even worse by the fact he was one of us.

I must say, From Dawn to Decadence is one of the best books I've ever read. Ever. It's fundamentally shaped how I view history.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies