Uruguay Diverges from a Continent Where Abortion Is Worse than Rape
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:02:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Uruguay Diverges from a Continent Where Abortion Is Worse than Rape
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Uruguay Diverges from a Continent Where Abortion Is Worse than Rape  (Read 675 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2012/10/19/uruguay-diverges-from-a-continent-where-abortion-is-a-crime-worse-than-rape/#ixzz2APgm0v8o
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:55 AM »

Unsurprising. Uruguay is one of the wealthiest Latin American countries, so it makes sense that they would be the first to legalize abortion.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:16:41 PM »

Good.

Here we currently have the "ilegal except for rape or health of the mother" type of abortion rights. But support for full legalized abortion seems to be growing (among the people and politicians). Hopefully we'll follow suit next year
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »

Hopefully we'll follow suit next year

I doubt it. Argentina has an influential Church. Uruguay is 75% atheist and even the conservatives support the law according to polls.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »

I doubt it. Argentina has an influential Church. Uruguay is 75% atheist and even the conservatives support the law according to polls.

They aren't really that influential anymore, despite their staunch opposition Gay marriage was passed relatively easy and with a great majority of the population supporting it. Of course it won't be easy since abortion is a much more controversial topic than gay marriage but again, it's a slow improvement. Also there's the fact that the government apparently supports an abortion law and since they are growing used to passing whatever the hell they want it's not a long shot it will be legalized in the near future.

Didn't the law pass 50-49 in the lower house over there? at least that's what I read somewhere. So the support in the polls don't seem to have much influence in how the politicians vote. So, it's not like we'll have to wait for 80% of the people to support abortion to pass such a thing, and as far as I know support is growing as the years go by.

Oh, by the way, where did you get the figures for 75% atheism? All I could find was Wikipedia and that says that it's officially 17%.

However, I think the trend is pretty clear. At least this is being discussed now even in political debates, something that was mostly unheard of not even 10 years ago.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »

They aren't really that influential anymore, despite their staunch opposition Gay marriage was passed relatively easy and with a great majority of the population supporting it. Of course it won't be easy since abortion is a much more controversial topic than gay marriage but again, it's a slow improvement. Also there's the fact that the government apparently supports an abortion law and since they are growing used to passing whatever the hell they want it's not a long shot it will be legalized in the near future.

Didn't the law pass 50-49 in the lower house over there? at least that's what I read somewhere. So the support in the polls don't seem to have much influence in how the politicians vote. So, it's not like we'll have to wait for 80% of the people to support abortion to pass such a thing, and as far as I know support is growing as the years go by.

Oh, by the way, where did you get the figures for 75% atheism? All I could find was Wikipedia and that says that it's officially 17%.

However, I think the trend is pretty clear. At least this is being discussed now even in political debates, something that was mostly unheard of not even 10 years ago.

Law passed 17 - 14 because "disciplina partidaria" in the liberal and conservative parties. If not it would have been 21 to 10.

When I said even conservatives supported it, I was talking about the population, see this poll:

I should have said a 75% of atheists, agnostics and deists. Atheism I believe is in between 30 and 40% of the population.

Church has also a bad reputation with catholics since the death of Juan Pablo II.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

Why is Uruguay so much more secular than neighbouring countries?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

Why is Uruguay so much more secular than neighbouring countries?

Batllismo, an ideology that comes from José Batlle y Ordóñez (President from 1903 until 1907 and  from 1911 to 1915) and very anti-christian.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

http://www.mongabay.com/history/uruguay/uruguay-religion.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies