Quebec Municipal Elections 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:45:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Municipal Elections 2013
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: Quebec Municipal Elections 2013  (Read 25373 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
« edited: September 25, 2013, 04:15:17 PM by RogueBeaver »

We're almost exactly a year out and the race is about to start. Today confirmation of what's long been an open secret: 3-term incumbent Gerald Tremblay will retire instead of seeking a fourth term. The Liberal MP for Bourassa, Denis Coderre, will announce his candidacy in early November. Dunno if he runs as the candidate of Tremblay's Union Montreal, which has been badly tainted by the Charbonneau Commission hearings thus far. Tremblay will finish his term which expires in January 2014.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/regional/montreal/201210/24/01-4586774-gerald-tremblay-ne-se-representera-pas.php
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »

Why just a thread for mayor? There's a council election too, not to mention races across the province.

Montreal is interesting because of the party system there. I wish Gatineau had some parties.
DL
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »

I just read that Ray Guardia who managed the NDP campaign in Quebec last year and also managed Brian Topp's leadership campaign for the NDP - is signing on to manage the Projet Montreal campaign for next year's municipal election with their leader Bergeron running for mayor. Projet Montreal seems to have become very much an NDP "farm team" in Montreal - it will be interesting to see how they do
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

Talking of that, there is a by-election in Rivière-des-Prairies on November 11.

It should be a safe UM hold (was 60-23-17, UM-VM-PM in 2009), but trends could indicate things (or not, given the specific ethnic composition of that area).

I hope they like voting, they voted a lot in previous years, including various by-elections.

2003: Provincial election
2004: Federal election
2005: Municipal election
2006: Federal election
2007: Provincial election
2008: Federal election
2008: Provincial election
2009: Municipal election
2010: Municipal by-election for borough mayor
2011: Federal election
2012: Provincial by-election
2012: Provincial election
2012: Municipal by-election for city councillor
2013(?): Possible federal by-election (Denis Coderre).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

Safe Liberal area = safe UM seat.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »

NDG is opposing that comment. They are safe liberal and voted for PM.
DL
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »

FYI: Rivieres des Prairies elected an NDP MP Paulina Ayala last year
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »

FYI: Rivieres des Prairies elected an NDP MP Paulina Ayala last year

Rivière-des-Prairies is split between Honoré-Mercier (Paulina Ayala, NDP) and Bourassa (Denis Coderre, Liberal)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »

Ha, okay, I was being overly simplistic. NDG is quite left wing, so of course it's going to vote for PM.  However, moderate federalist areas vote UM.

The area may have voted NDP federally, but it may vote Liberal with Trudeau as Liberal. With the thought of a new party system developing, places like this one will go Liberal, while NDG will go NDP (especially if it is separated from Westmount)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »

More exactly, Coderre won the part of RDP in his riding by 59 votes.
Rodriguez (defeated Liberal incumbent in Honoré-Mercier) won the part of RDP in his riding by 826 votes. He lost by a large margin because he was crushed in Anjou (French-speaking and upper-class, he finished 3rd, below Bloc and below 20% in many precincts there).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »

Coderre will make his announcement after the Liberal caucus meets this morning.

http://www.985fm.ca/national/nouvelles/denis-coderre-on-saura-aujourd-hui-184041.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »

I noticed that one of the UM councillors left the party to sit as an independent.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »

Hopefully out of shame.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »

Can any of you Montrealers get mayoral results by district from the last election?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »

Dunno if it was tabulated by borough. All I can find are council and borough mayor results. Tremblay was strongest in the core city.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »

Dunno if it was tabulated by borough. All I can find are council and borough mayor results. Tremblay was strongest in the core city.

Yeah, I know. That's all I have been able to find to. I was hoping that someone with fluency in French might be able to find more. It seems that in English Canada, municipalities are more likely to publish poll by poll or ward by ward break downs of mayoral results.

I remember when I made the Quebec City council map, I spent a long time just trying to find a map of the districts. Boy, when the Quebec municipal elections come around, it's going to be tough getting information for maps.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »

They aren't available in French either- checked the City site, La Presse and French Wiki. I honestly think they were only tabulated at-large.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »

They aren't available in French either- checked the City site, La Presse and French Wiki. I honestly think they were only tabulated at-large.

Maybe. But, I doubt it. That's not how elections are done in this country.

If you are curious to find out, you could try emailing the city. I usually get a good response when I try that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »

I noticed that one of the UM councillors left the party to sit as an independent.

One councillor in the West Island "decided" to leave when the election office sued him for giving 5,000$ in cash to a campaign coordinator.

That's Bertrand Ward, city councillor for the West ward of the Pierrefonds-Roxboro borough.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2012, 11:32:33 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Can any of you Montrealers get mayoral results by district from the last election?

I already saw it, but can't remember where.
EDIT: It was written on the official website of Election Montreal, but was taken down once official results were published.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

Coderre will jump in next Friday.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-canadienne/201210/31/01-4588925-coderre-ne-briguera-pas-la-direction-du-plc.php
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »

EDIT: It was written on the official website of Election Montreal, but was taken down once official results were published.

Shucks. Well, I suppose someone has it there. They probably wouldn't mind an Anglo emailing them, so I will do so when the election gets closer. I might have to get something translated for other cities though.  If anyone does get their hands on the data before then, I would be happy to make a map asap.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »

One councillor in the West Island "decided" to leave when the election office sued him for giving 5,000$ in cash to a campaign coordinator.

That's Bertrand Ward, city councillor for the West ward of the Pierrefonds-Roxboro borough.

Yesterday, Frantz Benjamin, city councillor for Saint-Michel, also left, disgusted by what he learned at Charbonneau.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »

Shucks. Well, I suppose someone has it there. They probably wouldn't mind an Anglo emailing them, so I will do so when the election gets closer. I might have to get something translated for other cities though.  If anyone does get their hands on the data before then, I would be happy to make a map asap.

I made a map on this thread at the time. I don't remember exactly where I got the data, but it was probably the municipal site Max was mentioning.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »

I made a map on this thread at the time. I don't remember exactly where I got the data, but it was probably the municipal site Max was mentioning.

Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies