Mormon rituals on camera.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:51:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mormon rituals on camera.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mormon rituals on camera.  (Read 1862 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udew9axmdM

Interesting to watch.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »

Interesting
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

Love the pic in your sig Jbrase!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2012, 09:53:05 PM by PioneerProgress »

Meh, I've done the baptisms for the dead thing (only once, and by the way, the Church tries not to baptize deceased people who aren't directly related to a church member), and otherwise, meh, the rest doesn't seem that weird. The "three seperate gods" and "unlimited Mormon gods" is inaccurate though. There's only one "God", which is God the Father (yes, occasionally called Elohim), while Christ and the Holy Ghost are part of the Godhead, having the same responsibilities and basic authority as God the Father, but not the veneration. And the "humans becoming gods" thing; it's more of a "humans get divine authority and responsibility, but are not worshiped" thing.

Thanks for rudely posting a video of rituals which are one of the few things Mormons want respected. Really nice of you.

Also, while the stuff in the video may be true, the maker of the video has either done illegal things to get that footage, or he's engaging in vicious propaganda and bigotry.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:40:03 AM »

Thanks for rudely posting a video of rituals which are one of the few things Mormons want respected. Really nice of you.

Also, while the stuff in the video may be true, the maker of the video has either done illegal things to get that footage, or he's engaging in vicious propaganda and bigotry.

You're welcome Cheesy

Seriously, why is showing the world what happens in secret (which I knew of before this video thanks to a former Mormon friend of mine) 'vicious'. How is it 'bigoted?' You may want it respected, I understand that. Scientologists want what goes on behind their closed doors 'protected', so do Masons. If you've got nothing to hide then what does it matter that the public get to see it? Surely if a church wanted to convert as many people as possible it would let it see it's inner workings.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:21:20 AM »

Regardless, now that your cabal is about to take over the country, we want to know all about your horrible secrets, by hook or by crook.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

You're welcome Cheesy

Seriously, why is showing the world what happens in secret (which I knew of before this video thanks to a former Mormon friend of mine) 'vicious'. How is it 'bigoted?' You may want it respected, I understand that. Scientologists want what goes on behind their closed doors 'protected', so do Masons. If you've got nothing to hide then what does it matter that the public get to see it? Surely if a church wanted to convert as many people as possible it would let it see it's inner workings.

The way the guy who posted the youtube video presented the rituals. With his commentary, you could obviously tell he had a grudge against Mormonism. And everyone who has the idea to "expose" Mormon rituals is obviously out to show them as "weird" and cult-like, without any context as to why.

Regardless, now that your cabal is about to take over the country, we want to know all about your horrible secrets, by hook or by crook.

Opebo, you are the worst poster.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2012, 11:08:50 AM by Dying Thoughts of a Martyr »

"Best" is not spelled w-o-r-s-t.

It's obvious why any secret rituals are going to make people uncomfortable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

Opebo, you are the worst poster.

Why?  I spelled 'cabal' correctly, and I like the 'by hook or by crook' archaism. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

While we're pointing fingers at crazy nutters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whpHwKlM_8M
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »

Oh yes, absolutely.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

That looks pretty fun actually, look at how excited all the people are, it reminds me of people cheering over someone doing a keg stand, or people at a show holding up someone crowd surfing. I'd like to check out one of those churches sometime, I'm sure there has to be at least one somewhere in Minnesota. I do "get the spirit" too even if for me it just means raising hands and sometimes pogo dancing.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »

Interesting, and yes, strange. One would have to be a fairly consistent member though to be allowed to witness these things, which makes me wonder how they obtained the footage.

"Nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. Therefore whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed from the housetops"
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »

Interesting, and yes, strange. One would have to be a fairly consistent member though to be allowed to witness these things, which makes me wonder how they obtained the footage.

"Nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. Therefore whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be proclaimed from the housetops"

Which is why I'm making the point that either the footage as illegally obtained (isn't certain forms of monitoring in religious buildings illegal?), or at least dishonestly obtained and used.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »

Which is why I'm making the point that either the footage as illegally obtained (isn't certain forms of monitoring in religious buildings illegal?), or at least dishonestly obtained and used.

Was this film made covertly? Yes. Do you honestly think if the filmaker said 'I want to film what goes on inside here and show it to the public' they would have said yes? I think it's really good to see. I really find the masonic style imagery intriguing and insightful. I've always been amazed at how 'crafted' Mormonism was and how it echoed freemasonry and the style of the KJV to give it an air of authenticity.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »

What's with the cows? 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_heifer
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »

You're welcome Cheesy

First of all, I would note that some groups, perhaps primitive cults of a backward and morally degenerate society, do not like their ceremonies televised.  I've heard of one group of inferiors that, in a politico-religious ceremony, refused to televise part of the religious aspects, a smearing with some sort of oil.  I am, of course, referring to the anointing with holy oil during the coronation of Elizabeth II.

Some groups wish to keep their ceremonies private, and many, including my own religious group which I think we may share, have ceremonies and rituals that can seem strange to nonmembers. 

Second, Freemasons have the modes of recognition secret, but not anything else.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 01:30:47 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2012, 11:23:27 AM by AWallTEP81 »

lol, inappropriate but good use of the language
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies