What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:44:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41599 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »

Just got back from back to back showings of Django and Zero Dark Thirty.  Both excellent films, very impressive.

Damn, your ass must be sore.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2013, 02:13:29 AM »

Eraserhead have you seen Killer Joe yet? I really think you'd like that.

There's a certain deadpan line near the middle that might be my favorite movie quote of 2012.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »

Killer Joe is great. I love how it just completely embraces its depravity. It's wonderful. Matthew McConaughey is so good in it, I wish he didn't waste his time on horrible romantic comedies.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty yesterday. I thought it was okay, but nothing special, and kind of boring since you already know how it all ends, so the final act which is supposed to be suspenseful and thrilling just falls completely flat. And then I saw Seven Psychopaths and it's probably my favorite 2012 film I've seen so far. One of the most fun, hilarious movies I've ever seen. Very similar to In Bruges by the same guy in its humor and characters.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:19 AM »

Killer Joe is great. I love how it just completely embraces its depravity. It's wonderful. Matthew McConaughey is so good in it, I wish he didn't waste his time on horrible romantic comedies.

My favorite exchange from a movie in 2012 as mentioned above (below in white, mind you this is one of those things that will never be 1/100 as funny in print):

Killer Joe Cooper: That poor, miserable bastard set his own genitals on fire just to teach his girlfriend a lesson. I guess he showed her. I wonder if she ever got over it.
Dottie Smith: Was he all right?
Killer Joe Cooper: No. No, he was not all right. He set his genitals on fire.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:35 AM »

The best part of Killer Joe is when Joe asks Ansel "what he thinks of all this" during the chicken fiasco.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »

Haven't seen it, will have to check it out.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »

I saw Zero Dark Thirty last night. I agree the last firefight wasn't as suspenseful as one in a fictional movie would be, though it was quite realistic. The whole movie had nothing but flat characters especially the protagonist, and in a good example of why Tropes Are Not Bad, that kept it on topic and was a straight procedural instead of getting derailed by some silly romantic sideplot or something. Didn't seem that long either despite the actual length. Also it seemed to me that it implied that torture is generally ineffective. The waterboarding didn't seem to get much results, and basically all the CIA people come across as huge assholes except the protagonist (who is more of an odd loner type.)

BTW my theater was packed but didn't sell out. While I was in line there was a notice that A Haunted House sold out and a bunch of people in line complained and then discussed what they'd have to see instead. The fact that A Haunted House even sold out makes me weep for good taste.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »

Michael Haneke's adaptation of The Castle. Amazing.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

Prometheus

Meh. Disappointing to say the least. The premise had a lot of good potential but the film turned out to be standard sci-fi fare (although I guess that makes sense considering the ending). I found most of the characters incredibly unlikable. Charlize Theron was particularly awful.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:30 AM »

Prometheus

Meh. Disappointing to say the least. The premise had a lot of good potential but the film turned out to be standard sci-fi fare (although I guess that makes sense considering the ending). I found most of the characters incredibly unlikable. Charlize Theron was particularly awful.

I'm thinking I liked it better than you did but the best thing about it was the 3D. Probably the only movie in existence I can say that about.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:05 AM »

Saw Django Unchained for the second time last night with my girlfriend. Simply amazing film, and just as good as the first time I watched it, fwiw.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:13 AM »

Django Unchained

Pretty good. QT usually nails genre homage films and nailed the spaghetti western angle. The soundtrack was excellent, as were all of the performances. Not quite sure where it ranks on the QT hierarchy but time will tell.

I'm thinking I'm going to hit up Silver Linings Playbook or Zero Dark Thirty next depending on my mood.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »

Seven Psychopaths

I didn't find it anywhere near as funny as In Bruges and the ending seemed a bit too blatant with the Leaning on the Fourth Wall. Definitely had its moments though.

BTW the poster is quite misleading, those characters are not the "seven psychopaths" of the title, and the two girls have only about five minutes of screen time apiece (and were obviously cast primarily just for looks.)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »

Silver Linings Playbook

Would have preferred to have seen Zero Dark Thirty but the timing didn't work out for me. But yeah, this was quite good. Definitely the best performances I've ever seen from Bradley Cooper and Chris Tucker (not that that's saying much of course). Also nice to see De Niro not phone it in for a change. Jennifer Lawrence is gorgeous and very talented. Wasn't crazy about the ending.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »

I just saw Lincoln on Wednesday, it was very good, I'll definitely buy it on DVD when it comes out.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »

Silver Linings Playbook

Pretty good but maybe I went in with expectations a little too high because I didn't really get what the hype was. I was waiting for something to happen where I went "wow that's brilliant" but it never did. Still a good movie and I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »

Gangster Squad

It basically was a Cliche Storm, but that is not bad, that's exactly the reason it was so entertaining. Kind of lost steam near the middle, but made up for it with the ending, the last shootout was basically like The Matrix in 1949. Sadly the theater scene seems to have been cut and was changed to something else, I'll have to look into what scene replaced it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »

Does this only mean movies that you've seen in a movie theater?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »

Does this only mean movies that you've seen in a movie theater?

People have been doing movies that I don't think are in theaters, so I guess yes.

Oh, I watched the Hobbit las.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »

*last
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »

Silver Linings Playbook

Pretty good but maybe I went in with expectations a little too high because I didn't really get what the hype was. I was waiting for something to happen where I went "wow that's brilliant" but it never did. Still a good movie and I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

Sounds like we had pretty similar reactions.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

A poignant film in light of today's gun debates.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »

Cinderella (on TV and abridged Sad ).  Hands down my favorite Disney film, and one of my all-time favorite movies as well.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »

Django. (Almost sold out on a wednesday night, btw.)

Eh. Quentin's the master in his own little genre, Campy Violence. I liked it a lot, better than the uneven Basterds. (Though here too, I'd wish the basics the story sets out from were accurate. The plot itself can remain as unrealistic as it needs to be, that's not a problem at all.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »

American Reunion - meh.  Not very good, but got a couple of cheap laughs out of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies