What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:37:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41505 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: June 16, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »

Not only was The Dark Knight Rises unbearably tedious, but structurally it was a mess. Saying a movie is better than that is no great compliment.

One thing I forgot to mention is that at one point Superman is told that sometimes he needs to take a leap of faith. No points for guessing what I thought of.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »

Not only was The Dark Knight Rises unbearably tedious, but structurally it was a mess. Saying a movie is better than that is no great compliment.

Indeed. Batman was washed up and had a plot line about him becoming Batman again, twice!!!! Also, the ending sucked.

Last movie I saw was Iron Man 3. It was good for what it was.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »

I watched two Mexican movies: Después de Lucía and Niñas Mal. The latter was a good comedy which I really enjoyed, the former was a very serious and powerful treatment of bullying which was also very good. I liked how it started (and ended) in Puerto Vallarta, it was pretty cool to see.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention is that at one point Superman is told that sometimes he needs to take a leap of faith. No points for guessing what I thought of.

I don't agree about TDKR being unbearably tedious and structurally, while both films had some problems on that front, I'd say Man of Steel was way messier. The movie was just all over the place from scene to scene (how many arbitrary flashbacks can you insert in one movie?). It was painful to watch at times. Not to mention how ridiculous some of the characterizations were. Jonathan Kent was basically one giant "WTF".

And then there's that thing Superman does at the end of the movie. UGH.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »

Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  And just for mentioning it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7zYyTotwfE

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »

I'll be seeing Man of Steel in about 10 minutes. Review afterwards.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #306 on: June 16, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

I'll be seeing Man of Steel in about 10 minutes. Review afterwards.

There was definitely some pacing problems. It felt like the first half was just a bunch of random exposition bits while the second half was just action sequence after action sequence. Despite that though it ended up tying together rather nicely in an odd way. Loved the little easter eggs too like "Luther Corp" being on that tanker Zod and Superman fought with. Worst thing was that the final battle with Zod was kind of a letdown. I agree with Eraserhead that his henchwoman was a much better villain, though Michael Shannon played Zod probably as best as could be done.

And then there's that thing Superman does at the end of the movie. UGH.

Highlight to read below:
I'm guessing it's that big scream after killing Zod? Yeah that was rather cringeworthy.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:24 PM »

Highlight to read (spoilers for Man of Steel):

It wasn't the scream so much as the act before it. Superman doesn't intentionally kill people. Superman doesn't snap necks. He just doesn't do that. He would put his own arm in front of Zod's eyes before killing him. He also could have flipped Zod on his back or froze him with his ice breath (which they could have easily introduced earlier in the movie). That's just bad writing and portrays a total misunderstanding of what the character stands for. Superman isn't The Punisher.

Anyway, I know it's starting to sound like I hated the movie now. I really didn't. There was a lot of great stuff in it but unfortunately there wasn't enough to mask some pretty major problems.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #308 on: June 17, 2013, 03:18:42 AM »

Did you like it better than any of the three Nolan Batman movies, BRTD?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #309 on: June 17, 2013, 03:38:49 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2013, 03:45:15 AM by Old Europe »

The Place Beyond the Pines

It found it interesting that except for a few hints here and there (bulky, outdated computer monitors in some office backgrounds) they managed to conceal the fact that most of the movie is set 15 years in the past. Basically, all they had to do was to avoid showing anyone using a mobile phone/iPhone.

This got me thinking... you probably wouldn't get away with the same thing in a movie which is set in 1963 and 1978. While 1997 can still reasonably pass as 2012, 1963 couldn't pass as 1978, I suppose.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #310 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »

Well I can see why a European would think that, but I identified the first part as not being set in the present day fairly easily because of the designs on the money shown, which was quite dated and obviously different from modern day bills.

That and that the pop culture references were all pretty dated as well (like Gosling's Metallica shirt and that Hall and Oates quip), though that made me assume it was even earlier, like in the 80s.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #311 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »

Well I can see why a European would think that, but I identified the first part as not being set in the present day fairly easily because of the designs on the money shown, which was quite dated and obviously different from modern day bills.

That and that the pop culture references were all pretty dated as well (like Gosling's Metallica shirt and that Hall and Oates quip), though that made me assume it was even earlier, like in the 80s.

You're probably right about the other things, but why would wearing a Metallica shirt necessarily set the movie during the 90s?

Metallica is still active and shirts worn by Ryan Gosling in the movie are currently available over the band's online store... which sort of proves my point:

http://www.metallica.com/products/ride-the-lightning-tshirt.asp
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #312 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »

I thought Bradley Cooper's part of that movie was boring.  That whole middle could have been cut out for me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #313 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »

The Illusionist/L'Illusionniste

On my 'to watch' list since it came out and it didn't disappoint; really quite, quite wonderful.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

Saw Man of Steel after the dentist and it was more torturous. The forced Christian allegory was nauseating.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »

I don't go to the movies very often. Last one I saw was Life of Pi which was pretty good.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »

Man of Steel

Pretty good job. I especially liked the opening Krypton scenes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #317 on: June 22, 2013, 11:52:05 PM »

Did you like it better than any of the three Nolan Batman movies, BRTD?

Didn't see this before.

But definitely not, it wasn't anywhere near any of the Nolan Batman films. I could see someone preferring it if they cared more about action scenes than writing or plot, and preferred the more over the top action sequences later in the film to the Batman films.

Two films I saw recently:

The Numbers Station: Good direction and acting, but the plot was kind of dumb and felt like it was written by a high school student. I'll give credit to any movie that puts John Cusack in an action role though, he's actually quite good at it but doesn't get his chance often to play such a role (and even when it does it's in more of a dark comedy.)

Wreck-It Ralph: Now this one I really liked. Despite being a kids' movie, I thought it was obvious with so many of the references that my age bracket was the real target. The plot was actually very well written, and often quite touching, I can see why so many females I've talked to have admitted to tearing up at this movie. This is easily my favorite animated film of the decade so far (There is no year 0, so 2010 is still technically the last decade, and thus Toy Story 3 is not eligible for consideration.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #318 on: June 23, 2013, 06:29:48 AM »

I certainly liked it better than The Dark Knight Rises, considering that one was a huge disappointment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »

I saw World War Z. It was actually very very smart for a zombie movie. Plus the opening scenes in Philadelphia were shot in Glasgow Cheesy
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2013, 12:23:42 AM »

Speaking of Man of Steel, did anyone's theater react when at the beginning Russell Crowe said "this is madness"?

I think I might've been the only person in my Sunday matinee showing who got that.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2013, 12:48:04 AM »

I saw World War Z. It was actually very very smart for a zombie movie. Plus the opening scenes in Philadelphia were shot in Glasgow Cheesy

When I heard they were making a movie out of the book, I thought there was no way to turn the book into a movie, and I guess there wasn't.  The movie is quite good but bears virtually no resemblance to the book.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

Been on a kick lately

Last night I watched Team America: World Police as well as Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (loved both of them)

Today I watched Inside Job
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #323 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

This is the End
Funniest movie I've seen in a long, long time. The Michael Cera bits were so perfect, and the conversation between James Franco and Danny McBride about jerking off had me nearly suffocating from laughter. So many good cameos too.

Spring Breakers
I don't really know what to think about this. I guess I enjoyed it while watching it. James Franco is, of course, transcendent in it (but he's the greatest actor and thinker of our generation, so that's unsurprising). Selena Gomez is a horrible actress. The way it was edited was really cool. A lot of scenes and shots were repeated, often out of place narratively, and it almost had the structure of verses and choruses in a song.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #324 on: July 04, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

A Time To Kill (1996)

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, I really did. However, my god was it implausible. The racial tensions were so ott, and the defense was just lame. Also as if that summation would work, how dumb are these jurors meant to be? Also has terrible morals. That said it was a really well made film and hard to hate.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies