What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:02:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41335 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »

My friend's sister and I wanted to make fun of Kristen Stewart so we watched "Cake Eaters" which was predictably horrible. When I got home, I recovered lost brain cells by watching the Swedish version of The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

Star Trek Into Darkness

Awesome. Hopefully people stop going to Iron Man 3 and go to this instead.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »

Saw The Remake of Wrath of Khan yesterday. Pretty good movie, though the allegories with A) The original B) the Cold War, and C) the War on Terror were all quite obvious and heavy. Nevertheless, thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable.

I just recently watched the originalWrath of Khan. More boring than I remember it, though I'm sure had I seen it in theaters it would have been spectacular.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »

Saw The Remake of Wrath of Khan yesterday. Pretty good movie, though the allegories with A) The original B) the Cold War, and C) the War on Terror were all quite obvious and heavy. Nevertheless, thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable.

I just recently watched the originalWrath of Khan. More boring than I remember it, though I'm sure had I seen it in theaters it would have been spectacular.

I  also saw it tonite.  Star Trek has never been known for subtlety and sure didn't start now.  I enjoyed it, but they've gone to great trouble to hire actors who clearly are true to ones we knew in the original, however there was none of the original Khan in Cumberbatch.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »

My friend and I went to go see The Great Gatsby last week and we really loved it; it was really underrated by the critics, IMO.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2013, 07:37:39 AM »

I  also saw it tonite.  Star Trek has never been known for subtlety and sure didn't start now.  I enjoyed it, but they've gone to great trouble to hire actors who clearly are true to ones we knew in the original, however there was none of the original Khan in Cumberbatch.

That was another issue. Why hire an Englishman to play an Indian who, to my knowledge, was played by a Latino!? Sure, Cumberbatch is a cool actor, but not a Khan.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »

As strongly opposed to the Abramsverse as I am (and remain) philosophically, Into Darkness was a fantastic movie if you look at it in a standalone basis.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #282 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »

The Conversation (1974)

Possibly the most seventies film ever. And I mean that (mostly) in a good way.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »

The Conversation (1974)

Possibly the most seventies film ever. And I mean that (mostly) in a good way.

Yeah, that's a good one.  I like how Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas used all the same actors in their 1970s movies.  Seeing Harrison Ford pre-Star Wars is always a hoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-LDPN351EM
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #284 on: May 22, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »

Went to Star Trek: Into Darkness the other day.  It was ok, but it made me miss the old gang more than want to see the next installment of the new one.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »

Yes, Coppola is consistently top drawer like Polanski and Scorsese, IMO. The Conversation was very good. When I find someone's work who I really like, because I'm not a genre fan, I try to see as much of what they do as I can. I still have not seen his Youth Without Youth, but I have heard that it is a really beautiful movie. Will catch it sometime.

I thought Coppola's Dracula from the early '90s was superb - one of the last true blockbusters yet emotionally resonating films made. Purists complained about this scene or that scene, but I loved it. The "Elizabeta" part fit the mood very well.

And what can I say about Apocalypse Now? One of my top five faves all time.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

Yes, Coppola is consistently top drawer like Polanski and Scorsese, IMO. The Conversation was very good. When I find someone's work who I really like, because I'm not a genre fan, I try to see as much of what they do as I can. I still have not seen his Youth Without Youth, but I have heard that it is a really beautiful movie. Will catch it sometime.

I thought Coppola's Dracula from the early '90s was superb - one of the last true blockbusters yet emotionally resonating films made. Purists complained about this scene or that scene, but I loved it. The "Elizabeta" part fit the mood very well.

And what can I say about Apocalypse Now? One of my top five faves all time.

Go and watch Tetro. It's a bit of a required taste (most critics were indifferent to hating it) but I loved every over-the-top melodramatic minute of it.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #287 on: May 24, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness the day after it came out.  It was pretty good. 
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #288 on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »

I just watched Stand By Me

I love that movie
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #289 on: May 25, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »

Into Darkness - great movie.  Really spectacular.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

I watched Adventures in Babysitting last week.  Great film, and an excellent soundtrack.  (I would love to see if they ever released that on an album!)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »

Forrest Gump in APUSH and Beautiful Mind in AP Psych. Weird combo if you ask me.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »

I watched House at the End of the Street with the great J-Law earlier this week, and it was really good as a horror/thriller movie. Some have said it's really predictable, but I'm not pedantic when it comes to movies and I didn't see the plot twist coming. And J-Law is the best as always.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2013, 02:34:50 AM »

I just saw Meet the Spartans. It made Vampires Suck look like Airplane. I haven't reached for the remote this fast since Birdemic, and this movie may just be worse than it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2013, 09:18:55 PM by pbrower2a »

Counting video -- The Petrified Forest (1935). Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, Charley Grapewin, and Humphrey Bogart (Bogart is only in the latter half of the movie, so I name him last). It begins as a romantic comedy and ends as a hostage drama, and the transition worked (it almost never does in recent years). The studios just don't make movies like that anymore.  The writing and acting is intense.

OK, so it is nearly 80 years old. It's almost certainly new to you.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

I saw Mud a couple of days ago and that movie was terrific.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2013, 03:15:33 AM »

Just saw The Man of Steel. For an origin story, it was an interesting attempt at introducing Superman in a way that was set up as if the audience (mostly) knew of his upbringing on Earth -- which, while interesting, I honestly believe was the wrong direction to go. The plot itself (and particularly that ending, considering how....out-of-character it is) is set up as if its trying to create the moral ambiguity, a Dark Knight-esque plot, in an introduction story, which I feel just doesn't work. The reason TDK worked was because Begins created characters that had not only strong development, but emotional investment -- trying to present such ambiguity to a story when the characters' own code of morality hasn't even been fully established, makes the film a lot less palatable. In terms of being a summer blockbuster, it is a good film, but it definitely should have been better.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2013, 08:08:44 PM »

I saw Man of Steel this afternoon.  Disappointing, but I'm still hopeful that it will spawn a great sequel since most trilogies peak in the middle.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »

Man of Steel

I enjoyed it overall, despite having numerous issues with it. There are a couple of scenes in it that I will pretty much have to block from my memory. Ugh.

Still miles better than the borderline disaster that was Iron Man 3.

Faora was my favorite part of film. She was a more intimidating villain than General Zod was in it frankly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #299 on: June 16, 2013, 01:14:35 AM »

I saw two movies in theaters yesterday, which is twice as many as I saw all last semester. Funny how things go.

Man of Steel

I expected the origin story part of it to be boring, as origin stories usually are, so I was surprised to find that the first hour and a half turned out to be remarkably good. Unfortunately, the last 45 minutes or so (the movie is far too long) were an interminable fight sequence followed by several plot holes. On balance, it wasn't a bad movie. It was certainly better than The Dark Knight Rises, although that's not really high praise.

The Kings of Summer

Delightful, and definitely the funniest movie I've seen this year. I strongly recommend it to anyone who lives somewhere where it's playing. It could use more of Alison Brie, but so could every movie ever made.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies