Gay marriage and the debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 08:52:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Gay marriage and the debates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gay marriage and the debates  (Read 1830 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

Since the last debate is foreign policy I guess this isn't going to be addressed at all? Weird.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »

Ditto for climate change

(I suppose it could be brought up in the foreign policy debate, but I doubt it will be.)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »

The position taken by both sides is pretty clear.  Re-hashing this issue in debate serves little point.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »

Not really. The president has a new position, one neither a president nor a major party presidential candidate has ever taken before. Romney has adopted the generic Republican stance but he wasn't always that way so that's noteworthy too.

It's also the biggest cultural issue of the times. I at least expected it in the VP debate which are usually just follow an issue by issue laundry list.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »

Ditto for climate change

(I suppose it could be brought up in the foreign policy debate, but I doubt it will be.)

Maybe a question about COP18 in Doha next month? (Probably not)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »

Two reasons probably:

1. It's a pretty easy question to answer. Everyone knows the Republican candidate opposes it and the Democratic one supports it. Obama made huge news when he announced his support, so I am sure most have heard that.

2. It might hurt Obama. While gay marriage is gaining support, the majority still oppose it given the referendum results last year, so it might not be a good thing for him to announce in a debate with 60 million watching that he supports it. There are plenty of Democrats that oppose gay marriage even to this day, especially the hispanics and blacks.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »

I doubt there's going to be a majority in either house of Congress for repealing/modifying DOMA in the next four years, so the president has limited influence on this issue.  The real fight now is at the state level.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »

Ditto for climate change

If climate change isn't brought up in a foreign policy debate, then there is truly no hope.
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »

It's a losing issue or they would have brought it up, he only publicly came out of the proverbial closet for gay donations.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:49:22 AM »

The domestic policy debate hosted by Lehrer was almost exclusively about economic issues rather than social issues, and the type of swing voter they got for the town hall debate probably doesn't care that much about gay marriage.

In general, they've been steering clear of social issues in the debates.  Would we have even gotten an abortion question in the VP debate if the issue hadn't been stirred up by Akin in August?
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »

he only publicly came out of the proverbial closet for gay donations.

Cliffy
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:56:51 AM »

Yeah really.  Are you kidding this is chicago politics, they don't care about gay marriage unless it benefits them.   
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »

Social issues are not important this election cycle, the only thing I care about is getting drugs legalized. Move along, nothing to see here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »

Well, tens of millions of gays, women, immigrants, etc. and their allies disagree with you bro.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:27:19 AM »

Well, tens of millions of gays, women, immigrants, etc. and their allies disagree with you bro.
That sounds good on paper, but you can't guarantee they will ALL make it out to the polls on election night.  If they're more concerned about their bodies than their pockets, they're sorry POS.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 07:01:53 AM »

I don't mind. With four states voting on it in November and three of them probably approving it, we don't need some cranky old man yelling at clouds about the issue and turn people against it. So I'm fine.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »

Funny how the Republican view of gay marriage has gone from, "Standing our ground on traditional marriage is important for America," in 2004 to, "Oh, social issues don't matter now. It's all about jobs," in 2012. I think it's very telling.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »

That sounds good on paper, but you can't guarantee they will ALL make it out to the polls on election night.  If they're more concerned about their bodies than their pockets, they're sorry POS.

Gay mariage is very much about peoples pockets! It's a financial issue; gay couples have to jump through hoops that other people don't, in order to secure their financial future they are not allowed to get married.
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »

Social issues are not important this election cycle, the only thing I care about is getting drugs legalized. Move along, nothing to see here.

Social issues literally do not matter in terms of how Congress addresses issues. To make a campaign about whether someone supports an issue which makes up for less than a percentage of the bills introduced in Congress over this session is really, really unfortunate. The economy is, has and always will be (I hope) the number one issue.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »

Yeah really.  Are you kidding this is chicago politics, they don't care about gay marriage unless it benefits them.  

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

Are you female, gay, and/or a new Latino immigrant to the U.S.?  Because your post shows stunning stupidity about the socioeconomic relevance of these so-called "social issues."  For instance, an unwanted pregnancy can have a huge economic impact on a woman.  Medical care for a pregnancy isn't free.  Pregnancy can temporarily prevent a woman from working, not everyone is Ann Romney who can afford to take time off whenever she wants.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 08:03:17 PM »

Gay marriage is one of the least important big issues in American politics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Both candidates have good reasons for not wanting to talk much about the issue to a general audience. Which is an interesting development in itself, actually.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

Gay marriage is one of the least important big issues in American politics.

I'm guessing you're not LGBT.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »

Is race a social or economic issue?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies