Tommy Thompson's son: "We have an opportunity to send Obama back to Kenya"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:38:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tommy Thompson's son: "We have an opportunity to send Obama back to Kenya"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tommy Thompson's son: "We have an opportunity to send Obama back to Kenya"  (Read 1744 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/wisconsin-gubernatorial-candidates-son-says-we-h

lol
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »

Why does Thompson keep doing everything he can to lose?Huh
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »

Clearly, Team Thompson learned nothing from the "do away with Medicare and Medicaid" video.

Jason Thompson is one of many examples of why the GOP does so poorly with minorities.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »

The quote in the title was not an actual quote.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »

Why does the Chicago-emdash-or make it a jot better?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »

Quotes should be quotes. Fabricating quotes ought to unacceptable on principle.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

Tommy Thompson has jumped the shark himself. He called Baldwin anti-Jewish, which is a big no no in campaigns.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »

It really wasn't a fabricated quote. But you knew that.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »

It really was fabricated. I know that because I am aware of his actual quote, which simply isn't what was cited.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »

It really was fabricated. I know that because I am aware of his actual quote, which simply isn't what was cited.

Oh come on, there's video of Tommy Thompson's son saying Obama is from Kenya.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »

"We have the opportunity to send President Obama back to Chicago -- or Kenya" --->"We have an opportunity to send [President] Obama back to (...) Kenya".

I don't find it that different. It's not fabricated at all.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »

Do you think Jason Thompson's words were acceptable?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »

Time to send him back to his grandmother's womb.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

A second video of Jason Thompson has surfaced:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/tommy-thompson-son-birther-joke_n_1974001.html

This didn't happen twice by accident.  This racist son of a Thompson has no problem repeatedly stirring up the white nativist base against Obama.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »

Boy, Tommy Thompson's son is going to take a beating at the polls over this one.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »

Haven't commented one way or the other. You are trying to deflect from the fact that it is simply unacceptable to fabricate quotes.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

"We have the opportunity to send President Obama back to Chicago -- or Kenya" --->"We have an opportunity to send [President] Obama back to (...) Kenya".

I don't find it that different. It's not fabricated at all.

First of all, it is unclear that you quoted him correctly. Specifically, the actual text seems to be:

"We have the opportunity to send President Obama back to Chicago."

[Audience member  interjects, "Or Kenya!"]

"Or Kenya!"

Your editing makes it appear Thompson said "Kenya" in the same sentence when it is clear that his sentence ended with "Chicago."

Second, it is clear that Thompson was being serious in noting his desire to send Obama back to Chicago, while he seems to be joking about Kenya. The dishonest editing makes it appear that he was being serious regarding Kenya. 

Again, Thompson's son is responsible for what he said, and, not responsible for fabricated quotes assigned to him. He, himself, has apologized for the remarks he did make. Some jokes are in very bad taste. You have every right to bring up what he did say. You have no right to fabricate quotes.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »

Haven't commented one way or the other. You are trying to deflect from the fact that it is simply unacceptable to fabricate quotes.

I can see that.  Your failure to condemn Thompson's words certainly tells us something.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »

If only one could bring one's sense of moral outrage to bear on the actual substance, eh, Bob?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »

If only one could bring one's sense of moral outrage to bear on the actual substance, eh, Bob?

Well, as Dingel famously said, "If I let you set the substance of a bill, and, you let me write the process, I will screw you every time!" Allowing people to fabricate quotes with impunity is allowing them to, "screw you every time!"
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »

Oh come on, there's video of Tommy Thompson's son saying Obama is from Kenya.

Again, I was commenting about a fabricated quote at a certain event and time.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »

Well, as Dingel famously said, "If I let you set the substance of a bill, and, you let me write the process, I will screw you every time!" Allowing people to fabricate quotes with impunity is allowing them to, "screw you every time!"

Be that as it may, substance is called 'substance' for a reason, so perhaps after you've pointed out that people have, by your definition, fabricated quotes it might behoove you to move on to what the person against whom this doubtless unfathomable calumny has been perpetrated actually said rather than continuing to crow about the by-your-definition-fabrication over and over again after you've already made your opinion of it loud and clear to all and sundry.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »

I can see that.  Your failure to condemn Thompson's words certainly tells us something.

Am I smelling a whiff of hypocrisy in your remarks?

A man publicly declared Sarah Palin to be a "c#unt," and, subsequently gave Barack Obama a million dollar donation. Obama refused to return the donation when his sexism was exposed. I seem to remember deafening silence here concerning Obama accepting seven-figure contributions from such a sexist pig. If we are going to judge silence, what is one to conclude?

Again, I did not comment on Thompson's actual remarks because my being asked was simply an attempt at distracting the conversation away from the plain fact that a quote had been fabricated. Once again, I am confronted with the tactic of inflating a charge against someone, and, defending that tactic by accusing anyone who points it out as defending the indefensible.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

Be that as it may, substance is called 'substance' for a reason, so perhaps after you've pointed out that people have, by your definition, fabricated quotes it might behoove you to move on to what the person against whom this doubtless unfathomable calumny has been perpetrated actually said rather than continuing to crow about the by-your-definition-fabrication over and over again after you've already made your opinion of it loud and clear to all and sundry.

Quote marks have a meaning. They mean the person quoted stated the remarks between the marks verbatim. A quote had been fabricated not by "my definition," but, rather by the definition. Though I am simply right, other posters have made arguments about why fabricating quotes is a valid act. I answered those arguments. Instead of actually arguing why either my initial argument, or my rebuttals of their rebuttals were inaccurate, you launch into a purely ad hominem attack about me being repetitive. That's pathetic.

As to "moving on" to what Thompson said. That is impossible at this point. I was not asked to comment on what he said. I was told to give a yes-or-no answer to whether his remark was "unacceptable," whatever that means. There is an entire American tradition of biting satire directed against politicians in office. Giving an affirmative answer not only condemns the particular remark, but, a large number of satirists as well. Do I want to condemn an entire genre?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:30 AM »

Quote marks have a meaning. They mean the person quoted stated the remarks between the marks verbatim. A quote had been fabricated not by "my definition," but, rather by the definition. Though I am simply right, other posters have made arguments about why fabricating quotes is a valid act. I answered those arguments. Instead of actually arguing why either my initial argument, or my rebuttals of their rebuttals were inaccurate, you launch into a purely ad hominem attack about me being repetitive. That's pathetic.

First of all, I don't think you're entirely clear on what 'ad hominem' means, since I'm not criticizing you as a person (although you're making it more tempting by the second), but rather giving you helpful pointers on your debating style. Second, JulioMadrid provided an entirely acceptable (and accurate, if you know anything about how elision in citations and quotes is typically handled) alternative to both the original quote, which was misleading, and your insisted-upon full version, which wasn't any better anyway. At this point cooler heads should have prevailed, but you continued in your outrage at the unforgivable sin visited upon Jason Thompson, in a thread that should at this stage have moved to discussion of Jason Thompson himself.

Entertaining, albeit as a joke, a racist canard about one's father's political opponent-by-proxy isn't 'biting satire directed against politicians in office', not least because it isn't actually funny. Failing attempts at 'satire' that employ racist conspiracy theories as figures of fun should certainly be condemned, yes, as should other types of unfunny attempts at humor. Your apparent conflation of generic universals with particulars is interesting, particularly for someone like me who's making a study of the aesthetics of Tendai Buddhism, but not actually a relevant response to the question of whether or not it's the case that racist conspiracy theories ought not be joked about. Sorry. (It's also not the case that you were limited in your range of potential responses to 'Yes' or 'No', which you should know, since you didn't answer 'Yes' or 'No'.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies