if Romney wins, how do the senate democrats work with him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:38:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  if Romney wins, how do the senate democrats work with him?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: if Romney wins, how do the senate democrats work with him?  (Read 2616 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2012, 08:40:58 PM by Former President Polnut »

I actually hope for the opposite... if Romney wants to try to control the feral mess that is the GOP House, he's going to need the Democratic Senate.

It'll be a huge test if Romney's elected to try to show leadership and force the GOP House to behave, unlike Boehner who was scared of them and their control of the base. I honestly think Romney's best chance for a successful term, is to work with the Democrats. Because, considering his ability to bend like a yogi when needed, I shudder to think of the consequences of him being left to the whims of the right.

But I fully expect the president to be re-elected, so it's moot Tongue
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2012, 09:01:43 PM by Averroës Nix »

I expect that Romney would find cooperating with the (likely) Democratic majority in the Senate easier than corralling his own party in the House. I don't see the Republican Party changing just because they control the White House - their motivation runs much deeper than resentment of Obama, and I doubt that many among them would be satisfied with a Romney presidency (although I should be clear: I don't expect Romney to govern as a moderate).

If I'm correct, this could be a very interesting/unstable dynamic.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »

Have you learned nothing from the Bush/Obama Administrations? Congressional Democrats have no balls, and in the end they'll capitulate.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »

It would be fun if Senate Democrats finally got tired of being picked on and blocked Romney from signing a single bill, but a las they aren't those kind of people.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

It's a catch-22 for Democrats.

They can pull a Mitch McConnell, and block all the things --which would result in two things: nothing getting done, and Republicans doing the same thing next time they have the opportunity.

If Democrats go to the negotiating table and work with Romney, then they might in effect give him a second term (potentially successful legislation and success working across the aisle) and then Republicans may still block all the things next time they're in power.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies