if Romney wins, how do the senate democrats work with him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:05:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  if Romney wins, how do the senate democrats work with him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: if Romney wins, how do the senate democrats work with him?  (Read 2615 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »

In the past, the democrats were willing to work with republican presidents such as Reagan or Bush in passing legislation. Would the democrats act more partisan under a Romney presidency and vote no on everything? Under a romney presidency, i doubt any of the democrats would be at risk for losing re-election so they could feel free to vote no on everything. 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »

He would still be able to peel off enough "moderates" to get everything he wanted, except possibly a repeal of Obamacare. His real problems would come from the Tea Party House.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

The Dems'd defend the stuff like Obamacare.

And I agree, looking at my own country's experience, Romney could struggle more with the Tea Partiers than the Democrats. And the Tea Partiers aren't afraid to mount a primary challenge, as we all know...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2012, 12:44:45 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

The Dems'd defend the stuff like Obamacare.

And I agree, looking at my own country's experience, Romney could struggle more with the Tea Partiers than the Democrats. And the Tea Partiers aren't afraid to mount a primary challenge, as we all know...

I doubt they would be able to coalesce around a single candidate, and by 2016, the Tea Party will be even weaker than it is now. The Tea Party really wore out its welcome with the budget fiasco in the Summer of 2011, and it's only become less relevant since.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »

Hopefully they filibuster everything non-stop for four years.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »

The red-state Dems would be flexible on most things except O-care, as strange said. Pryor/Landrieu/Warner/Baucus/Johnson/Hagan to start.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

It depends on whether or not they hold the majority.  If they have a majority, I expect a decent amount of cooperation on the condition that the important parts of Obamacare are off the table.  Dems would go all out for the House in 2014 to continue to have a say, and I think the senators would do whatever they could to prop up those efforts--i.e. see how well we work with Romney unlike those nuts in the House.

If Republicans take a narrow majority, however, I would expect no-holds-barred complete obstruction, basically 2009 in reverse.  Romney  would have to go well under 40% approval for them to actually make senate gains, so they would be thinking about 2016 from day one.  they basically have nothing to gain by cooperating.  They would make Republicans permanently end the filibuster to repeal Obamacare, with the intention that it would allow the next Democratic president to do whatever he/she wanted.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

Day 1: Our number one priority must be ensuring that Mitt Romney loses reelection.
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

I can only guess, but I figure if Romney gets elected he'll focus on democratic senators up for re-election in 2014, particularly in the "red" or "swing" states.  
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »

Day 1: Our number one priority must be ensuring that Mitt Romney loses reelection.

If they are still in the majority, they will want something to show for it/help the red state senators out in 2014.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »

If they are still in the majority, they will want something to show for it/help the red state senators out in 2014.

I was mocking Mitch McConnell
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »

The moron mormon majority leader will be just as big of a dick as he is now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »

I really hate "bi-partisanship" more and more...
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »

This is pretty much my line of reasoning.  Simply digging in and opposing the Romney agenda tooth and nail will hurt them more than help them.  
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »

If the Dems have enough solid votes in the Senate to actually block stuff, my hunch is that Romney will be very amenable to compromise- kinda like how Obama has been with most stuff, except unlike Congressional Republicans the Senate Dems will go to the bargaining table in good faith.

Romney isn't an ideologue, and he definitely doesn't want to start on Day 1 already looking like he can't get anything done. He's a businessman; negotiation is in his blood- I'm sure he'll gladly give up some of the more extreme promises he made to the Republican base and let Obamacare stay, in exchange for the deregulation, lower corporate taxes, and other such stuff that he actually cares about. He'll sell it to the Tea Party by saying, "It's either this or nothing, it's the best deal we're going to get for at least two years."

Thus, Romney gets the big stuff passed without kowtowing to his party's crazies, Senate Democrats get to stop some things and remain important, the Tea Party gets a rallying cry to fully take Capitol Hill in 2010, and everyone gets to brag to their constituents about being bipartisan. As Romney is fond of saying, it's net-net!

(Of course, I may be grossly overestimating Romney's leadership abilities, and also might be incorrectly assuming that House Republicans will chill out a bit if Obama's gone. And hopefully this analysis will all be moot in a few weeks anyway Grin)   
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »

I think Romney would probably have a better working relationship with a Democratic Senate than a re-energised GOP House.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

True, bi-partisan means that Democrats capitulate to Republicans. Do they even have this word in other countries?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »

True, bi-partisan means that Democrats capitulate to Republicans. Do they even have this word in other countries?

No.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2012, 04:37:41 PM by Frodo »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.  It's time Republicans get a taste of their own poison and see how they like it.  

Like Republicans in 2009 and 2010, we must pretend like we're going to cooperate with them, all the while stabbing these bastards in the back, and then blame them (and the Romney administration) for the resulting gridlock and acrimony.  They chose to put party politics ahead of loyalty to their country, and so must we.  
rwoy
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »

Agreed.

Also, demand a public committment from Romney that if the economy is not "turned around" by 2016 that he will not seek re-election.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »

You know, thinking about it, it'd actually be very amusing to see the sort of wacky antics that would ensue with Mitt Romney and Harry Reid forced to interact with each other on a daily basis.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »

The point of opposition is to oppose.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2013, 11:41:27 AM by kingthlayer »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.  It's time Republicans get a taste of their own poison and see how they like it.  

Like Republicans in 2009 and 2010, we must pretend like we're going to cooperate with them, all the while stabbing these bastards in the back, and then blame them (and the Romney administration) for the resulting gridlock and acrimony.  They chose to put party politics ahead of loyalty to their country, and so must we.  

I actually don't like this kind of thinking. It can't just be about revenge.

I will be very dismayed if Obama loses, but if Democrats refuse to negotiate they will essentially allow the right to make major changes to the country's finances. The only way the New Deal would be at stake would be if Democrats refused to defend it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »

I was mocking Mitch McConnell

You may mock, but I fear it will be true.  On January 3, 2013 or whenever the next Congress is sworn in, they will immediately start planning for 2016 in the hopes of getting a Democrat back in the White House come January 2017.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies