So the Libya assassination had nothing to do with Youtube? Did Obama Lie?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  So the Libya assassination had nothing to do with Youtube? Did Obama Lie?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So the Libya assassination had nothing to do with Youtube? Did Obama Lie?  (Read 853 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »

So the news is saying that the Youtube video had nothing to do with the Libya assassination of the US ambassador.  It was actually an al qaeda terrorist cell.

I feel really duped by Obama and his administration for believing that a stupid low-production movie caused the murder of a US diplomat.  We all believed that this crappy movie by some Egyptian Christian guy inspired a muslim revolution.  There was a big story about how the LA Police were arresting the Egyptian producer because of the Youtube video; and now we find out it was all a "Bunch of Lies"?  

I can't trust Obama, and this lying makes him look bad.  Every American was worried about the "mohammed movie retaliation" for an entire week, and it was just a bunch of Bullcrap fed by the Obama administration.  

Overall, I just feel dumb and pissed off that I foolishly believed a bad youtube movie could spark international unrest.  Obama fed us a bunch of malarkey.  

How will this Libya Lying help or hurt Obama's re-election?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »

There comes a time in every poster's life where he finally reaches "ignore" status...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:55 PM »

There comes a time in every poster's life where he finally reaches "ignore" status...
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »

Every poster?  Tongue

Just how extensive is your ignore list?  
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:02:32 AM »

The video did cause mass protests, and Al Quaida took advantage of the protests and attacked the US Consulate.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:26:59 AM »

Every poster?  Tongue

Just how extensive is your ignore list?  
What's that? I can't hear you. Tongue Wink

Okay, so I have a flair for the dramatic, sue me. Smiley Mine is probably like...I dunno...10-15 long? Mostly just people who post ridiculous crap in this sub forum not worth reading. I try not to ignore for other reasons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »

I don't understand the conservative outrage about this at all. First intelligence told us one thing. Then intelligence told us another thing. It's not some terrible conspiracy to lie to the American people. Our intelligence regarding what is happening abroad can and does change and evolve.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:57 AM »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »

The video did cause mass protests, and Al Quaida took advantage of the protests and attacked the US Consulate.

Apparently not in Libya.  They have been saying that there was no protest at all, just an attack.

The question is, did Obama have that early on, and continue the "video story?" 

A secondary question is, did the Obama administration have reason to believe that the consulate was unsafe. 
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »

Apparently not in Libya.  They have been saying that there was no protest at all, just an attack.

A secondary question is, did the Obama administration have reason to believe that the consulate was unsafe. 

International intelligence is a complicated business.  Maybe other US facilities were at risk and calling out the terrorists too soon would only have provoked more anger and potential attacks?  Blaming it on the video/appearing sympathetic to Islam might have been an effort to avoid additional violence/destabilization. 

We don't know what was going on, and it probably won't be appropriate from a national security standpoint to reveal exactly what was going on for years to come.  I don't see the controversy here.  The CIA and the State Department obviously lie everyday and save American lives in the process!  I see people using a tragedy to score political points.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »

International intelligence is a complicated business.  Maybe other US facilities were at risk and calling out the terrorists too soon would only have provoked more anger and potential attacks?  Blaming it on the video/appearing sympathetic to Islam might have been an effort to avoid additional violence/destabilization. 

We don't know what was going on, and it probably won't be appropriate from a national security standpoint to reveal exactly what was going on for years to come.  I don't see the controversy here.  The CIA and the State Department obviously lie everyday and save American lives in the process!  I see people using a tragedy to score political points.

Pretty much this.

The CIA and State Department have been lying to the American public for decades now. This seems to be nothing more then desperate Republicans trying to gain some of their credibility back when it comes to Foreign Policy.
milhouse24
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »

There's a common stereotype that Wimpy Liberals don't understand foreign policy. 
milhouse24
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »

There is a difference between protests and murder.
Obama or his administration alluded that these protesters were murderers.
He implied that Muslim protesters want to murder American officials and American citizens because of a poorly made online video. 
When the truth was that trained terrorists coordinated an attack on the American consulate, and had been attempting to kill him for several months, even before the Youtube video was known. 

Basically, the Youtube video was a Red Herring used to feed the sheep (us, the American public) into believing a ridiculous theory that was almost so unbelievable, that the dumb media took the story and ran with it. 
milhouse24
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

Pretty much this.

The CIA and State Department have been lying to the American public for decades now. This seems to be nothing more then desperate Republicans trying to gain some of their credibility back when it comes to Foreign Policy.

I just think that the excuse of the YouTube video was probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.  Think about it, the media has fed us the lie that one Youtube video caused the death of 4 American men.  When a rational human being thinks about this excuse, it seems impossible.  There have been riots and protests about "real things" 

But a poorly made Youtube video is not something that will spark a firefight gun battle and assassination.  The murder of Van Goah was a lone wolf muslim extremist.  Most muslims are not violent extremists trying to murder Americans over perceived slights. 
milhouse24
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »

I wouldn't say its for political points. 
The media was told the assassination was a direct result from the Youtube movie. 
This was completely false, and basically a Lie told to the American public.  There's nothing partisan about that situation. 
Besides, wouldn't saying it was a planned attack much simpler, and wouldn't cause as much "anti-muslim outrage due to the movie" 
American diplomats would be more concerned with terrorist threats than random Youtube protesters. 
By blaming the Youtube video, it implied that all Muslim people are irrational violent criminals who murder Americans whenever an insulting video is posted online.  Blaming the video increases American hatred and distrust of average Muslims. 
Cliffy
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »

You are factually incorrect and the State department and white house have admitted there was no protest before the attacks.  The streets were quiet and video shows what happened.  The administration tried to cover up to show their failed foreign policy and failure to protect our ambassador even when he had requested extra security (you know he only had 1 guard, right?). 

Nixon did less than this and no one died so think again about it's no big deal they lied.  Take your partisan shades off.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies