"Romney wins popular vote but loses electoral college" at 5.2% on 538
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:22:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  "Romney wins popular vote but loses electoral college" at 5.2% on 538
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Romney wins popular vote but loses electoral college" at 5.2% on 538  (Read 1581 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »

This will lead to the electoral college being abolished, which I want to see happen. Congressional district voting like Nebraska and Maine should be looked into for all 50 states.

Lol yes cause that happened in 2000...

The Republicans were planning on making a big stink if Bush won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote. Instead he lost the popular vote, didn't really win the electoral vote, but still became President, and the Democrats went around with "Kick me" signs on them.
Nichlemn

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »

Might such a scenario cause Democratic states to back down on NPVC? Or would that seem too brazenly self-serving (especially in the case of ones that have already signed up)?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »

Yes, Ohio sucks.  Actually, I have sort of had that opinion since first year of college, when with my long hair and wire rim glasses, I Looked like a dope smoking hippie, and felt about as welcome there as I did in Luverne Alabama. Actually Luverne was better, at least after I told the gas station attendant that I was visiting the clan that effectively owned everything worth owning in the town.
milhouse24
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »

I blame New Hampshire.  Those french canadians are always screwing things up.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »

Of course the polls will still change, any particular outcome is much less that 50% likely, etc. but still: when you step back a bit and consider what we were all thinking about the country's future in 2008, it's really quite remarkable that it's Oct. 13 2012 and it's a serious possibility that Barack Obama might be about to lose basically all of his new minority/suburbs rainbow-coalition states that everyone couldn't stop talking about, but get re-elected anyway because the national swing against him doesn't extend to the white working class within a hundred miles of Lake Erie in any direction.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »

This will lead to the electoral college being abolished, which I want to see happen. Congressional district voting like Nebraska and Maine should be looked into for all 50 states.

Lol yes cause that happened in 2000...

Well whether something is abolished or kept is at the prerogative of the GOP, not the Democrats, so if the GOP lost because of the electoral college, there'd be a chance they'd want to jettison it (though I personally think they'd want to keep it as over the long haul it favors them so much).

The Democrats have no power to change anything, they're just the 'opposition' to the real power..
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »

It's a distinct possibility and one that really, really wouldn't be good for America.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »

Of course the polls will still change, any particular outcome is much less that 50% likely, etc. but still: when you step back a bit and consider what we were all thinking about the country's future in 2008, it's really quite remarkable that it's Oct. 13 2012 and it's a serious possibility that Barack Obama might be about to lose basically all of his new minority/suburbs rainbow-coalition states that everyone couldn't stop talking about, but get re-elected anyway because the national swing against him doesn't extend to the white working class within a hundred miles of Lake Erie in any direction.
The best possible outcome of 2008, in a way.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies