Who won the Debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who won the Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Who won it?
Biden

Ryan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 177

Author Topic: Who won the Debate?  (Read 15406 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »

The fact is, this debate changed nothing - The race is still virtually tied, with Romney having the slightest of edges in terms of popular vote, while Obama still has an edge in the electoral vote. Next Tuesday, though, could be the pivotal moment in this election.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »

A big, big win for Biden on substance. And he just gave the base exactly the shot in the arm it needed.

The only thing I do worry about is how the smirking and occasional laughing will play with the incredibly dumb "undecided" voters who apparently base their votes on that sort of immaterial thing.

That is a fairly condescending statement. I know several undecided voters who have 30+ years of education.

30+ years of education? How many grades did they repeat? I have a master's and even I only spent 18 years in school: k-12, four years of college, one year master's.

They are called doctors.

Really? 13 years for k-12, 8 years of college and med school. You said 30+. You know docs that did nine years worth of residencies and fellowship? Even with nine years, that only gets you to 30. You said 30+. Sounds a bit like Paul Ryan's marathon story.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »

The fact is, this debate changed nothing - The race is still virtually tied, with Romney having the slightest of edges in terms of popular vote, while Obama still has an edge in the electoral vote. Next Tuesday, though, could be the pivotal moment in this election.

Wat? How do you know it hasn't changed the race? We won't know until Monday, when new post-debate polls are all out.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »

FACT: Most undecided voters are ignorant, uninformed, idiotic attention whores.

I will agree that most undecided voters are uninformed, but certainly not "idiotic attention whores"- rather, they are simply not paying attention, and by and large not seeking it either.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2012, 12:10:18 AM by pepper11 »

A big, big win for Biden on substance. And he just gave the base exactly the shot in the arm it needed.

The only thing I do worry about is how the smirking and occasional laughing will play with the incredibly dumb "undecided" voters who apparently base their votes on that sort of immaterial thing.

That is a fairly condescending statement. I know several undecided voters who have 30+ years of education.

30+ years of education? How many grades did they repeat? I have a master's and even I only spent 18 years in school: k-12, four years of college, one year master's.

They are called doctors.

Really? 13 years for k-12, 8 years of college and med school. You said 30+. You know docs that did nine years worth of residencies and fellowship? Even with nine years, that only gets you to 30. You said 30+. Sounds a bit like Paul Ryan's marathon story.

OK, 30 years. Clearly shows they are "dumb".

In any case it doesnt matter. Neither Biden or Ryan made any big errors.  Next week will matter. Today will not.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »

thats online poll from their website, not random sample
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »

My democratic family members said they thought Biden looked like a "prick" because of his smugness.

Will you ever stop doing this? You must have the least Democratic Democratic family in existence.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »

Huh, that's funny.  CNN has an online poll which shows Biden won 65%-35%.  And their regular flash polls were slightly in Ryan's favor. 
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »

They are called doctors.

And for every one of these "educated" undecideds, there are 20 that can speak with authority on Kim Kardashian's sex life, but could not tell you which political party supports abortion rights. Stop painting this mythical picture of undecided voters who weigh their decision very carefully. Most of them are total
morons, basically the same type of people that end up serving on juries.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »

^^^^^^^^

This, although Biden did a lot for Dem morale tonight.

But Biden can't carry Obama next week, Obama has to take care of business in his own right at Hofstra
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2012, 12:17:04 AM »

Biden clearly won...Ryan is a smart cookie but clearly does not yet have the gravitas to lead
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »

They are called doctors.

And for every one of these "educated" undecideds, there are 20 that can speak with authority on Kim Kardashian's sex life, but could not tell you which political party supports abortion rights. Stop painting this mythical picture of undecided voters who weigh their decision very carefully. Most of them are total

I actually think you're going a little too far. This is nonsense. Of course all some undecided voters don't care but they're the type who have a 50/50 (if that) chance of showing up and voting. The vast majority of independents I've met (as well as myself formerly included) educated or not weigh the views and choices in front of them carefully. In a sense I believe certain independents are more informed than large groups of members of either party. I'm quite offended you'd post such a rude statement Tongue
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »

Biden won and also fired up the base! Everything he replied to Ryan is what I was thinking to tell him.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »

CNN's snap poll is the result of a very Republican (R+2 to be exact) audience for the debate. Shows that Republicans are enthusiastic and paying close attention to the election but it also puts Ryan edging out Biden in their poll in better perspective.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »

CNN's snap poll is the result of a very Republican (R+2 to be exact) audience for the debate. Shows that Republicans are enthusiastic and paying close attention to the election but it also puts Ryan edging out Biden in their poll in better perspective.

Snap polls that don't poll undecided voters are relatively useless.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »

They are called doctors.

I actually think you're going a little too far. This is nonsense. Of course all some undecided voters don't care but they're the type who have a 50/50 (if that) chance of showing up and voting. The vast majority of independents I've met (as well as myself formerly included) educated or not weigh the views and choices in front of them carefully. In a sense I believe certain independents are more informed than large groups of members of either party. I'm quite offended you'd post such a rude statement Tongue

More of this anecdotal evidence. Friends, family. If you haven't made up your mind about who to vote for after 4 years then you're a moron. Go watch Swing Vote with Kevin Costner sometime. That's your typical undecided voter.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:05 AM »

Yeah. Well, CNN had it 48-44. And the electorate will probably be maybe D+2 or so. So among actual voters, it was basically tied?

So a wash? I'm actually surprised because I expected Biden to crush Ryan. And he didn't do so.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2012, 12:47:01 AM »

Yeah. Well, CNN had it 48-44. And the electorate will probably be maybe D+2 or so. So among actual voters, it was basically tied?

So a wash? I'm actually surprised because I expected Biden to crush Ryan. And he didn't do so.

Didn't the CBS poll that gave Biden the win poll undecided likely voters? If so, surely you agree that's more useful than a registered voters poll. Solid R and D voters don't change their mind based on one debate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:05 AM »

Didn't the CBS poll that gave Biden the win poll undecided likely voters? If so, surely you agree that's more useful than a registered voters poll. Solid R and D voters don't change their mind based on one debate.

Yep. Biden wins 50%-31% among undecided voters according to CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57531059/poll-biden-takes-debate-over-ryan-uncommitted-voters-say/
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2012, 03:00:13 AM »

Anyone who thinks Ryan won is a hack, just like anyone who thinks Obama won the last debate is a hack.  

I don't think it was as decisive of a win as the first debate (or perhaps I'm just a bit skewed in my thinking because I was almost positive Obama would win), but I largely agree with this.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2012, 03:18:56 AM »

^^^^^^
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:39 AM »

Biden clearly won, as I expected. Ryan didn't do as badly as I had expected(I'd still rank his performance well over Obama's), its just that Biden is a good debater and came prepared to challenge him. There was for some reason this expectation that Biden was some bumbling idiot, that people forgot that he's actually a good debater and speaker.

We'll see if Obama can pick up his game for the next debate.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2012, 03:33:55 AM »

Biden.

I can easily see Joe Biden serving as president if need be. Paul Ryan doesn't look presidential at all.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:51 AM »

Federica Wilson & Bev Perude, on a joint ticket would win all debates.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »

If we're talking about who was the bigger asshole and wasted more time, then Biden. If we're talking about who was more factually and otherwise on-point, then Ryan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies