surprise nominees for 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  surprise nominees for 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: surprise nominees for 2008?  (Read 8977 times)
skybridge
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

Yeah, it is, but I understood what he meant. Names of really dark darkhorses.

It'll probably be some millionaires like Kerry or Edwards.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2005, 10:16:27 PM »

Virtually all viable candidates will be multi-millionaires.  Clinton was one of the rare excepetions in modern times.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2005, 10:22:04 PM »

Rutzay,

It's over the top montages like yours that will help keep the White House in GOP hands. 

That type of extremism, and that shown by Prof. Ward Churchill, tends to turn off far more people than it attracts.  However, I'm not going to try to dissuade you.  We appreciate all the moderates that you push into voting for the GOP with such outlandish images.  Thanks!
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »

So let me get this straight, I say something against Bush, and all of a sudden Im as crazy as Prof. Churchill. First of all I dont support anything that Churchill has said and second, Notre Dame SUCKS!!!   Go Hawks!!!
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2005, 11:07:19 PM »

I didn't call you crazy.  I didn't even call Churchill crazy.  I called him extreme.  You're linking Bush to Hitler, Stalin, and the Gang is extreme also. 

You're linking him to Professor Evil is funny.

There's a difference.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2005, 11:16:01 PM »

I guess I have a strange sense of humor. I thought it was funny that Bush had a giant billboard put up exclaiming that he was our leader kind of similar to the huge banners that those past leaders put up in their countries. I do not think Bush is similar in any other way to those people besides that banner he put up in Florida.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2005, 11:19:24 PM »

Clear Channel put those billboards up, not Bush. 
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2005, 11:26:04 PM »

They did? Didn't know that. Anyway, its a pretty stupid billboard.
skybridge
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2005, 07:12:05 AM »

Virtually all viable candidates will be multi-millionaires.  Clinton was one of the rare excepetions in modern times.

A litte off-topic but is Bayh a millionaire?
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »

I had a few thoughts a few days after my first post about this subject:

Someone I think may have presidential ambitions is Ted Strickland of Ohio; I have seen him much more active than usual on C-SPAN lately.  He's from a swing state, he's a talented speaker, he's moderate.  I think he qualifies as a good nominee for the Democratic Party.
As for Republicans, Marilyn Musgrave of Colorado is a big name in the party and might have some kind of Presidential ambition.  No one talks about her, but she's from a swing state, she's a bit more conservative than Bush, and she would take a lot of women votes--I think.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2005, 01:56:32 PM »

Steny Hoyer (D-MD), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Elizabeth Dole (R-NC), Darrell Issa (R-CA), Mike Honda (D-CA), and Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) could all be running, too.
Snowe08
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2005, 08:44:38 AM »

Maybe Sens. Dorgan, Durbin or Landrieu for the Dems,

For the Reps, Govs. Fletcher or Barbour could emerge if Sanford doesn't run, or Sen. Thune, although he would only have been in the Senate for 4 years (+6 years of house expereince)
If the Democrats nominated Byron Dorgan, that would make my life really, really difficult if the GOP nominates a candidate I'm less than enamoured with. Dorgan seems to have his head screwed on right on several important issues, and recently made a superb speech ripping unfettered free trade to shreds - the first time I've seen any Senator do so on the Floor. I'm sure that if I looked more closely at his record, I'd find things that are objectionable - but at first impressions, he seems like a good candidate for the other party. But, as Thomas Reed said, "they could do a lot worse, and I suspect that they will".

There was a suggestion made on another board that Gov. Napolitano (Ariz.) would, or should, run for the Dems; on the GOP side, I think that the surprises will be in terms of who doesn't run, as the presumption at this point should surely be that everyone is going to run. This may be a blandly obvious statement, but I think that the more people that run in the '08 GOP primary, the less predictable it will become, as the votes will split between many candidates. This means that the recently commonsense law of primary physics - that a moderate can't win - may be suspended.
Snowe08
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2005, 08:50:02 AM »

You've got to be kidding. Every time I've seen Hoyer get to his feet in the House, he comes across as a petulant child. Maybe I just need to pay closer attention. It's an excuse to watch more CSPAN, I guess. Wink

If she either bails on, or loses, the Tex. gubernatorial contest, I'd say it's a good possibility - and for that matter, if Perry loses that race, count him as a potential hat in the ring too, perhaps?

She's assiduously worked her way up in the Senate, she's a good speaker and I agree with her on a lot of issues, so I'd love to see Dole '08 in the primary, and I think that there's a good chance that it could happen. As I said above - I think that everyone is going to take a shot at it, or at least, put out feelers over the next three years to run themselves up the flagpole and see who salutes.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »

You've got to be kidding. Every time I've seen Hoyer get to his feet in the House, he comes across as a petulant child. Maybe I just need to pay closer attention. It's an excuse to watch more CSPAN, I guess. Wink

I really like Steny Hoyer, and I think that the possibility is strong that he runs.  He has a very high position in the legislature and you always see him speaking on C-Span.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2005, 06:08:41 PM »

There was a suggestion made on another board that Gov. Napolitano (Ariz.) would, or should, run for the Dems

That will be hard when she loses reelection in 2006.
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2005, 04:06:49 PM »

Surprise canidates I'm going for Feingold and Allen. Even though I think the nomination will go to Hillary and McCain. If McCain don't run, I'm taking Guiliani, if not Guiliani then it will be Frist or Santorium. All the GOP's big names have something on them that wouldn't get them elected in a primary and will be left with a boring un-charasmatic canidate like Bob Dole or John Kerry.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2005, 10:30:12 PM »

Chris,

Do you think that Gov Huckabee is going to run in '08?
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2005, 11:30:01 PM »

My gut tells me Huckabee will run, take that for what it's worth I guess.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2005, 11:37:21 PM »

I read something recently that he was. Something about comapring him to Clinton because he plays a musical instrument and comes from Hope. I think it might have been part of an article relating to his health and a marathon he finished.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2005, 11:40:31 PM »

Huckabee wouldn't go far especially if Sanford, Allen and/or Frist are running.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2005, 11:43:44 PM »

I've only lived in AR for a few months now, but already I'm unimpressed with Huckabee, especially his effort to give ilegal aliens in- state tuition.  I thought that only Mass liberals wanted to do something like that, not Arkansas GOP Governors.  Stunning!  Oh well.

However, I have to admit that it is impressive that the guy can lose a hundred pounds in a year, then run a Marathon in 4 hours and some change.  He may not have much in the way of common sense, but he certainly has stamina.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »

If the Democrats nominated Byron Dorgan, that would make my life really, really difficult if the GOP nominates a candidate I'm less than enamoured with. Dorgan seems to have his head screwed on right on several important issues, and recently made a superb speech ripping unfettered free trade to shreds - the first time I've seen any Senator do so on the Floor. I'm sure that if I looked more closely at his record, I'd find things that are objectionable - but at first impressions, he seems like a good candidate for the other party. But, as Thomas Reed said, "they could do a lot worse, and I suspect that they will".

There's a large difference between Dorgan and any Republican. He was one of only 25 to vote against the bamkruptcy bill, one of only 26 to vote against the class action bill, and one of only 36 to vote against Gonzales.

In many of those cases most of the red state Senators voted the wrong way.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2005, 11:58:30 PM »

I would contend that Dorgan was on the 'wrong' side of all three of those issues.
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2005, 11:58:59 PM »

I've only lived in AR for a few months now, but already I'm unimpressed with Huckabee, especially his effort to give ilegal aliens in- state tuition.  I thought that only Mass liberals wanted to do something like that, not Arkansas GOP Governors.  Stunning!  Oh well.

Join the club. Smiley
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2005, 08:29:17 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2005, 08:34:30 PM by Vincent »

There was a suggestion made on another board that Gov. Napolitano (Ariz.) would, or should, run for the Dems

That will be hard when she loses reelection in 2006.

After the glorious return of Fife Symington?

Pherhaps Romley could do it.

Here are some numbers

Napalitano 70

Symington 14

Naplitano 50

Romley 25

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0223governorpoll23.html

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies