Vice-Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Vice-Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Author Topic: Vice-Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread  (Read 16263 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 11, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »

CNN Polls:

Is Biden qualified to be president if necessary?

Yes: 57%
No: 42%

Is Ryan qualified to be president if necessary?

Yes: 60%
No: 38%

Who expressed himself more clearly?

Ryan: 50%
Biden: 41%

Who spent more time attacking his opponent?

Biden: 70%
Ryan: 19%

Who was more likeable?

Ryan: 53%
Biden: 43%

Odd.

Not really.  The tipping point are the attack ads.  If Biden had been passionate about the issues, and not attacked, he would have won.

That said, I'd be surprised if this moves the polls.

I also expect Biden to be parodied on SNL.  Smiley

CBS Poll shows a big Biden win.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #451 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:05 PM »

CNN Polls:

Is Biden qualified to be president if necessary?

Yes: 57%
No: 42%

Is Ryan qualified to be president if necessary?

Yes: 60%
No: 38%

Who expressed himself more clearly?

Ryan: 50%
Biden: 41%

Who spent more time attacking his opponent?

Biden: 70%
Ryan: 19%

Who was more likeable?

Ryan: 53%

Odd.

Not really.  The tipping point are the attack ads.  If Biden had been passionate about the issues, and not attacked, he would have won.

That said, I'd be surprised if this moves the polls.

I also expect Biden to be parodied on SNL.  Smiley

Biden needed to attack because Obama wouldn't.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #452 on: October 11, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »

I love these die-hard Democrats.  Embracing any poll that shows Biden crushed Ryan and dismissing any poll that shows Ryan narrowly beat Biden.  So, those who think it was a draw or a slight Ryan victory are idiots?

You are S +3.48 and from Utah. Did you like Ryan's abortion comments? Are you voting Rommey-Ryan?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #453 on: October 11, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »

That was pretty much the most un-monumental thing in the world. Ryan was a little more elusive on specifics, but Biden was way too stubborn while trying to cram his points in during Ryan's time... to the extent that it made Biden look like a guy you would not want to be president.

Bottom line? I don't think I've ever seen a debate that was so clearly I tie.

Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #454 on: October 11, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »

I love these die-hard Democrats.  Embracing any poll that shows Biden crushed Ryan and dismissing any poll that shows Ryan narrowly beat Biden.  So, those who think it was a draw or a slight Ryan victory are idiots?

You are S +3.48 and from Utah. Did you like Ryan's abortion comments? Are you voting Rommey-Ryan?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #455 on: October 11, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

FYI -he's actually originally from Oklahoma who once supported President George W. Bush (hence his username 'BushOklahoma'), and has a Southern Baptist background.  He's one of the most conservative southern Democrats on this forum.  
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #456 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »

He's one of the most conservative southern Democrats on this forum.  

Except for me. Just joking!
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #457 on: October 11, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »

CNN Polls:

Who did a better job defending his running mate?

Ryan: 49%

Who did the debate make you more likely to vote for?

Obama: 21%
Romney: 28%
Neither: 50%
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #458 on: October 11, 2012, 11:01:23 PM »

FYI -he's actually originally from Oklahoma who once supported President George W. Bush (hence his username 'BushOklahoma'), and has a Southern Baptist background.  He's one of the most conservative southern Democrats on this forum.  

Ty, it's what I thought. A registered Democrat who votes for Republicans. You aren't a Democrat, Bush. E party didn't leave you. You left the party and drank too much tea. It's ok though. Just wait a few more weeks and you guys will see the truth. Election day cant come soon enough.

Further proof that all the Republicans who claim Dems are anti civil rights and point to segregation are full of it. All those segregationist Dems and their descendants now vote Republican.

S +3.48 and a Democrat. I laughed hardd when I saw that. We don't need you any more, Bush. You can change your avatar. Demographics are in our favor.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #459 on: October 11, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »

CNN Polls:

I wonder how Republican the audience for this was...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #460 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 11:06:14 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Hi Jacob, welcome to the forum.

You may not know this, but people enjoy being treated with respect and not being shat on over differences of opinion. You might be interested in remembering that if you hope to endear yourself to anyone other than your mother.

Thanks.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #461 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:02 PM »

I think Biden definitely came off too aggressive, interrupted too much, and smiled too much. It's good that he was showing passion and being assertive, particularly as more questions were being directed at Ryan, but it's always a fine balance to strike with being assertive without being overbearing.

That's probably what's showing up in the CNN polls showing it a tie, because Biden had a better debate on substance.

However, the overwhelming fact about the VP debate is that it usually has a low impact. Every headline I'm seeing are using words such as "heated", "gets personal" "at each other" "lively" "contentious" "spirited" "comes out swinging", and that is exactly what Democrats needed-- an event that shakes things up. Biden accomplished that masterfully.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #462 on: October 11, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »

Republicans believe Obama is a Muslim, Iraq had weapons of massive destruction, Jimmy Carter was responsible for the real estate bust, and that the world is less than 10,000 years old. I suppose it's rather naive to think they could concede a mere debate loss. Reality doesn't matter one iota to these people.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #463 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »

You aren't a Democrat, Bush. E party didn't leave you. You left the party and drank too much tea.

Er, if you want to occasionally win in places like Oklahoma, you need to have guys like Bushie on your side. And until recently enough, you did. Then, yes, the party left them. I don't understand the tea reference, but I will comment that I drink tea regularly and I don't believe there's a 'too much'. It's like coffee except it tastes good.

It's ok though. Just wait a few more weeks and you guys will see the truth. Election day cant come soon enough.

Certainly.

Further proof that all the Republicans who claim Dems are anti civil rights and point to segregation are full of it. All those segregationist Dems and their descendants now vote Republican.

You're accusing Bushie of being a segregationist?

S +3.48 and a Democrat. I laughed hardd when I saw that.

I laughed hardd when I read your post, not gonna lie.

We don't need you any more, Bush. You can change your avatar.

Depends on what 'we' you're referring to; certainly the Democratic Party of Oklahoma needs Bushie and people like him. Obviously he has the physical power to change his avatar; nobody's doubting that.

No, they're not. Demographics are in favor of an election that comes out exactly 50/50. And that's never going to change without the rise of a major third party -- as is, if demographics are shifting towards one party or the other (they're not really, but if they were to), the parties shift so that the election stays 50/50. That's the American system, pretty much.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #464 on: October 11, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »

Republicans believe Obama is a Muslim, Iraq had weapons of massive destruction, Jimmy Carter was responsible for the real estate bust, and that the world is less than 10,000 years old. I suppose it's rather naive to think they could concede a mere debate loss. Reality doesn't matter one iota to these people.

Yep and that we lived in the garden of Eden 6000 years ago, and everything was all hunky-dory until a talking snake came along and ruined the whole damn thing.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #465 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »

And you believe that you are actually smart... I guess reality doesn't matter to you, aswell.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #466 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »

Biden reminded me of Sam's boss from Transformers 3.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »

Just a comment: why would a Northeast Democrat ever care about Democrats winning in Oklahoma? Local Oklahoma Dems he is unlikely to have any sympathy with, and the weaker they are in the national party, the more the national party looks like he'd like it to look. And, of course, if on a presidential level Oklahoma is competitive, it means a landslide of such proportions, that they wouldn't even care about Texas. From the standpoint of a, say, NY Dem, an OK Dem is, sort of, like a Puerto Rican Republican would be from the standpoint of Tom Tancredo - utterly inconsequential.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #468 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »

You may not know this, but people enjoy being treated with respect and not being shat on over differences of opinion. You might be interested in remembering that if you hope to endear yourself to anyone other than your mother.

Thanks.

I've been a member here for almost nine years. You've been a member for a little over 6 months. Just because I post sporadically and with much lower frequency than you do doesn't mean that I need an introduction. I've gotten PMs from Dems on here thanking me for standing up to trolls like the one that came on and accused Obama of being a Kenyan Muslim.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #469 on: October 11, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »

Just a comment: why would a Northeast Democrat ever care about Democrats winning in Oklahoma?

I assume they would care about Democrats winning across the board.

Thanks.

I've been a member here for almost nine years. You've been a member for a little over 6 months. Just because I post sporadically and with much lower frequency than you do doesn't mean that I need an introduction. I've gotten PMs from Dems on here thanking me for standing up to trolls like the one that came on and accused Obama of being a Kenyan Muslim.

Wow, you stood up to Obamalite. That's very impressive.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #470 on: October 11, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »

CNN Polls:

I wonder how Republican the audience for this was...

CNN had this note:

"SPECIAL NOTE OF CAUTION #2: The sample of debate-watchers in this poll were 31% Democratic and 33% Republican. That indicates that the sample of debate watchers is about eight points more Republican than an average CNN poll of all Americans, so the respondents were more Republican than the general public."

It's one thing where polls report party ID and partisan politicos such as ourselves try to make something of it. It's another thing altogether when the pollster themselves insert what they call a 'special note of caution' and give a specific number (8 points).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #471 on: October 11, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »

More reactions:

Taegan Goddard: "Biden was more prepared, more experienced and the clear winner."

Mark Halperin: "Paul Ryan: B, Joe Biden: B-"
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #472 on: October 11, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »

You aren't a Democrat, Bush. E party didn't leave you. You left the party and drank too much tea.

Er, if you want to occasionally win in places like Oklahoma, you need to have guys like Bushie on your side. And until recently enough, you did. Then, yes, the party left them. I don't understand the tea reference, but I will comment that I drink tea regularly and I don't believe there's a 'too much'. It's like coffee except it tastes good.

It's ok though. Just wait a few more weeks and you guys will see the truth. Election day cant come soon enough.

Certainly.

You're accusing Bushie of being a segregationist?

S +3.48 and a Democrat. I laughed hardd when I saw that.

I laughed hardd when I read your post, not gonna lie.

We don't need you any more, Bush. You can change your avatar.

Depends on what 'we' you're referring to; certainly the Democratic Party of Oklahoma needs Bushie and people like him. Obviously he has the physical power to change his avatar; nobody's doubting that.

No, they're not. Demographics are in favor of an election that comes out exactly 50/50. And that's never going to change without the rise of a major third party -- as is, if demographics are shifting towards one party or the other (they're not really, but if they were to), the parties shift so that the election stays 50/50. That's the American system, pretty much.

Tea party reference. And we don't need Oklahoma in national politics. It is a lost cause. I don't care about Oklahoma state politics. You said he's a Southern Democrat that votes Republican.
Most of these folks descend from Yellow Dog Democrats who were supporters of segregation. I grew up in the Mississippi Delta before moving away for college, so I know all about it.

Demographics are not on your side. Texas will be a leans Democratic state by 2024 thanks to your party's hard line on undocumented Americans. Obama will win 70% of the Latino vote and 95% of the black vote on November 6th. He'll once again win voters 18-29 and 30-45, and he'll win women. Your party is increasingly becoming a party of old, white men. Obama expanded the map in 2008 when he became the first Dem to carry Virginia in almost half a century. Why? Young, college educated voters. Hispanic and black voters.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #473 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »

The spin is beginning- and it looks good for Biden

Just typed "Biden" into google, I got:

"Biden plays aggressor" (NBC news)

"VP Debate: Biden's Mission accomplished"  (LA Times)
pa2011
Rookie
« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »

Not saying it will move even 1 percent of voters in the polls, but think the debate at least energized Democrats and halted any Romney surge, real or fantasy, that existed before. Basically, the race is frozen, and, if I had to bet, that means Obama would win narrowly if election held today.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies