Orlando CEO to employees: "If Obama gets reelected, I'll probably fire you"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:47:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Orlando CEO to employees: "If Obama gets reelected, I'll probably fire you"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Orlando CEO to employees: "If Obama gets reelected, I'll probably fire you"  (Read 2109 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215327/U-S-presidential-election-2012-CEO-David-Siegel-tells-employees-fired-Obama-elected.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Full text of the letter can be found here)

I'm sure this won't put any undue pressure on his employees in the voting booth!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »

Another guy who knows how to get millions and milliions of dollars worth of free advertising.  He one upped Chick-Fil-A.  Brava.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »

Also, doesn't he realize the President can't just do sh**t. Congress is still going to be hella gridlocked.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

Also, doesn't he realize the President can't just do sh**t. Congress is still going to be hella gridlocked.

Dude, this guy knows.....he didn't get where he's at being stupid....it's just a PR stunt to garner recognition for his company.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »

He gets recognition and pass on firing people.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »

I actually think is a good thing. Americans generally have no idea how public policy can affects the lives of people, themselves included. At least this way, they get a pretty good lesson of why politics matters. Voting should never merely be an issue of conscience, like how American culture tries to paint it as.
Link
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »

I actually think is a good thing. Americans generally have no idea how public policy can affects the lives of people, themselves included. At least this way, they get a pretty good lesson of why politics matters. Voting should never merely be an issue of conscience, like how American culture tries to paint it as.

Alternative explanation...

Guy with 90,000 sq foot house endorses Romney.

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

I mean if you were busting you rump trying to make ends meet and your frugal boss with a 90,000 sq ft house and a trophy wife younger than your daughter told you he was laying you off because of Obama would you believe that horse $h-t?  That's the white version of a black high school drop out, with an abysmal command of the English language, tattoos, gold teeth, 3 baby mommas, a rap sheet a mile long, and his pants hanging off his @$$ calmly explaining to you he can't get meaningful employment because of "racism."  That BS is no less disgusting regardless of who is saying it.

Any of you f'ing peasants want cake?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »

Koenkai is working hard to compete with Krazen as a hilariously evil personification of right-wing politics.
Link
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 06:40:26 PM by Link »

Koenkai is working hard to compete with Krazen as a hilariously evil personification of right-wing politics.

Maybe I don't read enough posts but what little I've seen of koenkai has been pretty reasonable even if I don't agree with some of it.  I don't know what happened there.

By the way is your signature for real?!  I just noticed it.
milhouse24
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »

If my Boss told me how to vote, I would quit.  I would rather be unemployed than not vote for my own economic self interest.  I would report this to the union leader also.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »

Koenkai seems like a good guy, though sometimes he is a bit weird. Maybe it's a culture thing.
Link
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:07 PM »

If my Boss told me how to vote, I would quit.  I would rather be unemployed than not vote for my own economic self interest.  I would report this to the union leader also.

Back in reality people have mortgages, medical bills, and kids about to go to college.  Anyway the blowhard can say whatever nonsense he wants.  It's not like he will ever find out who you voted for.  I work for a bunch of hard core right wingers.  I'm sure they think I believe every word they say.  That's part of being a good peon.  As long as that paycheck shows up every two weeks I'll listen to their Glenn Beck BS.
wan
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »

what he said was purely agaisnt the law
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

A 100% real comment from TJ. Just click the quote for proof!
Link
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »

A 100% real comment from TJ. Just click the quote for proof!

That is very unfortunate...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.

I really hate to see that happen.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »

This is a good thing.  Terrible businessmen who unnecessarily destroy their companies will weed themselves out of the economy and that's better for us in the longterm.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »

what he said was purely agaisnt the law

No no no no, doing it is against the law....get it straight....PR stunt.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2012, 07:14:47 PM by 後援会 »

I really don't understand the outrage. It really might be a cultural thing, because I was raised pretty leftist, but without the anti-corporate bias/paranoia that a lot of people get through the American pop culture.

I mean, say Rick Perry somehow won the nomination. Rick Perry, as we know, pledged to work for a massive reduction in the size of the federal workforce. So if my boss, or hell, if my union head, called me in for a meeting and said, "alright, if Perry wins your job would be jeopardized. Can't tell you to not vote for him but...". Not only would that be perfectly fine, but I probably would end up voting Obama.

It's how politics works everywhere. If not every group is willing to press for their interests - we get injustice. I happen to think business should get the largest voice - but even if you don't, it still needs one. And the whole "vote only for your individual belief" secret ballot ethos is completely alien to me me. I can't even imagine voting differently from my family - let alone my family friends.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

The good news it that our current President does not plan to levy any taxes against his company.  The key is that the current President plans 5% tax increase on him.   Firing employees so he has 5% more money is nothing noble.  There is no paranoia either.  He flat out said it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

This is a good thing.  Terrible businessmen who unnecessarily destroy their companies will weed themselves out of the economy and that's better for us in the longterm.
The proper next step would be to turn the business into a co-operative.
Link
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »

I mean, say Rick Perry somehow won the nomination. Rick Perry, as we know, pledged to work for a massive reduction in the size of the federal workforce. So if my boss, or hell, if my union head, called me in for a meeting and said, "alright, if Perry wins your job would be jeopardized. Can't tell you to not vote for him but...". Not only would that be perfectly fine, but I probably would end up voting Obama.

Yes but the guy lives in a 90,000 sq ft house and has a trophy wife with expensive taste.  Clearly he can afford to pay more taxes without firing people.  That's all I'm saying.  It's a publicity stunt.  It's just a way to keep his name in the news.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »

c. 1896: If Bryan wins on Tuesday, don't bother showing up for work on Wednesday.
milhouse24
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »

Its just another way for a white corporation to keep suppress the voting rights of minority voters.  He views himself as a slave master who can control the lives of his illegal immigrant slaves.  I expect the workers to form a union and go on strike.  He'll be forced to make dresses out of his curtains.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »

I see nothing wrong with businesses telling employees what the best interests of the ownership and management of the company is. That does not imply that an employer has a right to dictate how employees vote, let alone dictate what sort of political activity is proscribed to them on personal time, let alone threaten people with termination of employment for being a member of the 'wrong' political Party. 

If employers have a right to dictate how employes vote, then we have something other than democracy. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies