Reaganfan the Republican...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:56:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Reaganfan the Republican...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reaganfan the Republican...  (Read 6127 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2004, 08:35:19 PM »

I get all the republican from my dad, and as I grew up, I had a choice Dem or Rep. I chose to become a republican. I was in 2nd grade following the 1996 election, always hearing my dad root for Dole. During that election, I remember the names Perot, Clinton, Gore, Kemp, Dole, and Tsongas being said alot. By 2000, I was in 6th grade and into the republican election. I think I wanted McCain to get the nomination, but I was happy when Bush did. My mom and dad took me into the voting booth and let me push in the vote for Bush. But I then had to wait 35 days for the results. In the mock election at school, Bush won against Gore. I kept telling my friend to vote Bush while this other kid kept telling him to vote Gore. He voted Nader instead. Since then, I have been a big fan of George W. Bush. My dad is a 48 year old Republican, while all the rest of my dad's side is Democrat. The holiday party is hell. Also, my dad is an Ohio cop of 25 years! You would think he is a democrat. Nope, big GOPer. Anyway, if I HAD to have a democrat president for 2005, Lieberman or maybe Edwards. But they are .5% of my choice. 99.9% is for Bush.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 08:38:16 PM »

That doesn't add up.
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 08:45:24 PM »

Smiley. Are you 15 or 16? I'm 16. I have always been a Republican. I remember being four and rooting for Bush senior. My family lived at a beach house, so we would go out to the beach all the time. My mom says I would go up and down the beach telling people to vote for Bush. I knew what I was even then, which is pretty funny I think. In my class election nobody voted for Gore( I went to a Catholic school, people either voted Bush or Buchanan, some voted Nader to be funny).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 08:53:14 PM »

An Ohio cop? Those are the guys who love to give us Michiganders $280 speeding tickets for going 56 in a 55 zone, even after slamming on the brakes as we cross the state line having gone 82 in a 70 zone in Michigan with the Michigan State Police not even giving us a second look. It's even worse if we are on our way home from Columbus after Michigan beat Ohio St. in football.

I'm just kidding, of course, but the Ohio Highway Patrol does have well deserved reputation for strict speeding enforcement (unlike Michigan).
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 09:15:12 PM »

Smiley. Are you 15 or 16? I'm 16. I have always been a Republican. I remember being four and rooting for Bush senior. My family lived at a beach house, so we would go out to the beach all the time. My mom says I would go up and down the beach telling people to vote for Bush. I knew what I was even then, which is pretty funny I think. In my class election nobody voted for Gore( I went to a Catholic school, people either voted Bush or Buchanan, some voted Nader to be funny).

I'll be 16 in October.
zachman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 09:38:07 PM »

Ha! I'm older than you Reaganfan by 2 months.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 09:48:01 PM »

WOW! Okay.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 10:04:44 PM »

Wrong board...there's a thread on family history somewhere.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 10:22:57 PM »

I didn't realize there were so many other young folks on the board.  I'll be eighteen in August (JUST IN TIME TO VOTE!!!).  It's good to know I'm not the only one.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 11:57:03 PM »

An Ohio cop? Those are the guys who love to give us Michiganders $280 speeding tickets for going 56 in a 55 zone, even after slamming on the brakes as we cross the state line having gone 82 in a 70 zone in Michigan with the Michigan State Police not even giving us a second look. It's even worse if we are on our way home from Columbus after Michigan beat Ohio St. in football.

I'm just kidding, of course, but the Ohio Highway Patrol does have well deserved reputation for strict speeding enforcement (unlike Michigan).

yeah I hate driving through Ohio
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 09:45:20 AM »

I didn't realize there were so many other young folks on the board.  I'll be eighteen in August (JUST IN TIME TO VOTE!!!).  It's good to know I'm not the only one.

I think that close to a majority are under 20...we have lots of teenagers.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 09:51:58 AM »

Ha! I'm older than you Reaganfan by 2 months.

I'm older than you both!!! Tongue lol
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 10:41:35 AM »

Some guys/girls my age are really into politics.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 11:31:49 AM »

we have a politics society at my school, mainly sixth formers (those in last or penultimate) year of school apart from me and one other who are in the year below them.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 01:04:57 PM »

yeah I hate driving through Ohio

word.  when I moved to livermore from somerville (3129 miles in four days) I got one ticket.  In toledo.  Like, going 66 in a 65 or something.  I mailed 'em a check for 80 dollars!  And the last ticket I got before that was back in 1994 and it was in Cincinnati, for being drunk in public.  I did not pay that one.  Screw 'em.  Two tickets in 15 years.  And both in Ohio.  I think from here on out, I'll find another route from MA to CA.  Through Tennessee or something.  
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 01:19:17 PM »

Here's a tip for youze guys: If you ever get pulled over, and the cop asks you "do you know fast you were going?" Just say whatever the speed limit is, cause there's a good chance he didn't have a radar gun going, in which case he just relies on you openly admitting that you were going over the speed limit in order to give you a ticket.

Just some helpful criminal justice advice.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 01:57:55 PM »

Here's a tip for youze guys: If you ever get pulled over, and the cop asks you "do you know fast you were going?" Just say whatever the speed limit is, cause there's a good chance he didn't have a radar gun going, in which case he just relies on you openly admitting that you were going over the speed limit in order to give you a ticket.

or, alternately, when he pulls you over, say "WOW! You must have been going at least 100 to catch up with me!!!"
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »

In most countries in this hemisphere, you can say something like "Como puedo areglar este asunto?" and hand him your passport with a 20 tucked into it.  DO NOT TRY THIS IN OHIO.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 02:08:24 PM »

or, alternately, when he pulls you over, say "WOW! You must have been going at least 100 to catch up with me!!!"

My dad actually drove so fast once that the police car couldn't catch him...but he talked his way out of it. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 02:10:42 PM »

I never outran, but outsmarted, them once.  managed to get my car tucked away into an unlit driveway and killed the engines and lights.  That's what you have to do in OECD countries.  In the third world, police are much more willing to negotiate.  

In Ohio, you're screwed no matter what.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 02:12:06 PM »

I never outran, but outsmarted, them once.  managed to get my car tucked away into an unlit driveway and killed the engines and lights.  That's what you have to do in OECD countries.  In the third world, police are much more willing to negotiate.  

In Ohio, you're screwed no matter what.

Dad is always able to convince police officers that whatever he did was justifiable...it's amazing, I don't know anyone else who have managed to do that... Wink
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 02:22:07 PM »

I remember being in second grade, and urging all my classmates to tell their parents to vote for Mondale.  It was enough to swing Prince George's County, but unfortunately, not enough to swing Maryland Smiley.

I'm surprised that Catholic support was that strong for Bush (though support for Patsy isn't that surprising).  What part of the country do you live?

I knew a few conservatives who cast Nader as a protest vote, knowing he had no chance to win anyway.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 03:06:15 PM »

I was some sort of libertarian when I first started thinking politically, I'd say. Then I included more Conservative traits. I was fairly far to the right until I started to attend the elitist conservative voucher school I go to know, since I have a very strong tendency to go against the flow.

And all this pre-supposes that our political histories are somehow interesting and that we're gonna post them here. Smiley
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2004, 03:13:44 PM »

I was some sort of libertarian when I first started thinking politically, I'd say. Then I included more Conservative traits. I was fairly far to the right until I started to attend the elitist conservative voucher school I go to know, since I have a very strong tendency to go against the flow.

And all this pre-supposes that our political histories are somehow interesting and that we're gonna post them here. Smiley

Hey, I posted my own long, boring, rambling ego-trip.  Now you post yours!  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2004, 03:14:17 PM »

Hey, I posted my own long, boring, rambling ego-trip.  Now you post yours!  Smiley

OK, I will. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies