This is ridiculous
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:11:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  This is ridiculous
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: This is ridiculous  (Read 1624 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »

Ah, I am tempted to comment, but am unable to think of a way to phrase it without seeming hackish. Let us just say everybody got to know both candidates a bit better. Knowledge is power!  Smiley

I think I've literally made 2 posts or so since the debate on this forum. I try not to gloat, but it's looking really good for Governor Romney.

I do enjoy watching democrats squirm like a head cut off a chicken.

Typically it's the other half of the chicken that does the squirming...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »

Dionne made a great point today: it isn't just the polls but the narrative which has changed. Latter's a BFD if the polls and narrative start snowballing like when the "Gang of 500", to use a Halperinism, pronounced the race almost over 3 weeks ago.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a hack, I'd like to attempt to calm the waves by reminding Democrats that Obama's approval rating on Gallup is at 53% today, and has so far averaged at 50%+ for this whole month. When was the last time an incumbent lost with approval ratings averaging over 50% in the October before the election? Yeah. Never.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a hack, I'd like to attempt to calm the waves by reminding Democrats that Obama's approval rating on Gallup is at 53% today, and has so far averaged at 50%+ for this whole month. When was the last time an incumbent lost with approval ratings averaging over 50% in the October before the election? Yeah. Never.

1.  Rasmussen has shown a drop below 50%.

2.  Gallup showed Obama's approval going up after the debate (yeah, right).
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »

1.  Rasmussen has shown a drop below 50%.

2.  Gallup showed Obama's approval going up after the debate (yeah, right).

1. Good for (R)asmussen. But I'm talking specifically about Gallup here, because incumbents that clocked in at 50%+ on their polls all went on to win re-election.

2. Why not? Since when did Obama lose a debate on substance? He wasn't as theatric as Romney, but he still got a chance to explain his record and remind voters of the progress made since the bad days of late 2008.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »

2. Why not? Since when did Obama lose a debate on substance? He wasn't as theatric as Romney, but he still got a chance to explain his record and remind voters of the progress made since the bad days of late 2008.

Last Wednesday. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »

As the forum's representative of the moderate swing voter, do not fear.

You're about as representative as I am. Not very.

Supporters of those I don't pick always say that, yet I've never supported a loser in an election (a protest vote aside).  This includes dead even polled elections where I still managed to pick the winning guy.  I don't plan to start now.  It's not gloating or anything, it's just a truth.  I'm not an ideologue. I'm the guy in the middle in focus groups that decides elections.  I considered McCain until the Palin pick and economic collapse then moved to Obama, just like the polls did.  If Romney is going to win, chances are he'll have taken me with him by that point.

Romney's big boost in the first debate more than anything was his move to the center.  That won big bonus points from me and I imagine a lot of people.  Romney was finally passionate about his Massachusetts moderate roots, something we had not seen from him since 2006.  I used to like him before he ran for President the first time.

There's another big truth in the debate that came out in obviousness.  I don't care what you, far right hacks, or far left hacks are going to say about it either.  The truth is Romney and Obama agree on more issues than they disagree.  Romney is going to leave 99% of the healthcare bill in place and Obama's tax plan after grinding through Congress and public scrutiny is ending up going to look exactly like Romney's after grinding through Congress and public scrutiny.  The question is: who will be more effective in getting it done most efficiently?

Ernest (another sensible member of the board) has alluded to this before and I agree with him: the biggest problem facing this country is the gridlock of divided government.  Our credit rating was downgraded not because of the national debt itself but because of a lack of faith that our Congress as result of the ridiculous debt ceiling debate.  The Republican Party is simply too obstructionist in Congress when out of power in the Presidency.  Therefore, there's only two solutions: a moderate Republican President to knock them in line or the Democrats taking control of Congress (because of an Obama landslide).

Before the first debate, Romney looked far too weak to make the first solution a possibility and the second option of the Democrats taking back Congress seemed feasible.  Now? It's looking closer.  However, I'm still lean Obama because really Obama hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes.  If he is, then I can't vote for Romney either because it will be the same result.  The question, again, is who has the best opportunity to do it.

If Obama and Biden win some debates, or more appropriately, Paul and Mitt show up at the debates trying to pander to the right again and not looking at all reasonable then Obama will be back in landslide territory.  If Paul impresses too and Mitt continues to impress, then it will be obvious that the people to vote for are the Republicans and I will cast my ballot accordingly. 
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hrm?

King is right for all the wrong reasons.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

Hrm?

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »

Is the media really talking all the day about Romney's amazing energy, charisma and presidentiality, while rambling on Obama's utter ineptitude, emptiness and arrogance?

Yes. The entire aftermath of the debate was created by The Media with the intent of electing Romney. That is a fact.

I think it's something more along the lines of how the debate, plus the media's collective desire to keep people watching, plus Obama's weak first term, all combined to apparently give Romney a substantial boost.

Is it enough to get him elected? I don't know. I suspect the race is certainly closer right now, and if Romney can stay on message for the next month it will remain close. On the other hand, I'm skeptical that Romney can go a month without a major gaffe. After that debate performance, I expect the backlash to another 47% type comment would be brutal. One unguarded moment and a cell phone video and he's toast. But if Romney can hold it together, Team Obama certainly does not seem to be rallying at the moment.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »

Is the media really talking all the day about Romney's amazing energy, charisma and presidentiality, while rambling on Obama's utter ineptitude, emptiness and arrogance?

Yes. The entire aftermath of the debate was created by The Media with the intent of electing Romney. That is a fact.

I think it's something more along the lines of how the debate, plus the media's collective desire to keep people watching, plus Obama's weak first term, all combined to apparently give Romney a substantial boost.

Is it enough to get him elected? I don't know. I suspect the race is certainly closer right now, and if Romney can stay on message for the next month it will remain close. On the other hand, I'm skeptical that Romney can go a month without a major gaffe. After that debate performance, I expect the backlash to another 47% type comment would be brutal. One unguarded moment and a cell phone video and he's toast. But if Romney can hold it together, Team Obama certainly does not seem to be rallying at the moment.
The Romney campaigning is not allowing any recording devices anymore after the 47% incident during the fundraising meetings.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

Last Wednesday. 

Oh okay. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

Last Wednesday. 

Oh okay. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Not just the debate, but BO lost LITERALLY every point. 
milhouse24
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »

Obama remains a personally popular candidate, part of the reason is because he's a safe Black guy, and voters and the mainstream media are very supportive of "Positive Black male role models".  But most voters disapprove of the direction of the country and doubt whether Obama is competent enough at his job. 

Obama's favorability and high poll numbers always showed soft support, in a "media-created bubble" because Romney was never seen by Middle Americans as a viable option on television. 

Now that Americans have seen Romney handle tough questions, they are faced with a choice between 2 intelligent Harvard Law candidates.  The fairweather voters are now faced with a real race, and many will probably stay home. 
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »

Hrm?

Ben Kenobi puppy carnage count: 44
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

The Romney campaigning is not allowing any recording devices anymore after the 47% incident during the fundraising meetings.

That recording was done surreptitiously I think.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies