The PBS Talking Point: Has it Stuck as Well as it Seems?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The PBS Talking Point: Has it Stuck as Well as it Seems?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The PBS Talking Point: Has it Stuck as Well as it Seems?  (Read 2410 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »

Romney brought up Big Bird, Politico. Evidently his firing Big Bird has been an applause line for him among friendly audiences for months.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 11:40:17 PM »

The Chinese are hoarding dollars and American debt because it is the safest currency/debt in the world. Despite all the cynical fear mongering from Republicans, interest rates and inflation are crazy low.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »

"I want to fire big bird" is the 2012 debate line that will go down in history.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 12:03:39 AM by Politico »

One, "I love Big Bird" is what he said. Two, only 15% of PBS' budget comes from federal subisides. If we cannot even cut PBS subsidies, if even that is considered untouchable, then we might as well just sign over everything to China on November 7 because this country is finished in that case.

Hey, liberals, if Obama wins then maybe PBS can help you learn Mandarin next year?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 02:12:23 AM »

Stop.

This is Hannity and Rush tier garbage.  You're all supposed to be the sane, reasoned side in this election.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »

But this is the 2012 board. We aren't supposed to be sane or rational.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 02:53:05 AM »

Who the F still watches Sesame Street. I've never watched it and I've never met any kid in today's world who watches it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 03:26:54 AM »

One, "I love Big Bird" is what he said. Two, only 15% of PBS' budget comes from federal subisides. If we cannot even cut PBS subsidies, if even that is considered untouchable, then we might as well just sign over everything to China on November 7 because this country is finished in that case.

Hey, liberals, if Obama wins then maybe PBS can help you learn Mandarin next year?
You are making the wrong assumptions Politico, cutting should not be on the table, we need to print & spend money money to cut the deficit if that's what you are worried about. How else are we going to break up the fat cats?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:37 AM »

Who the F still watches Sesame Street. I've never watched it and I've never met any kid in today's world who watches it.

Pretty much every person I know in my age bracket watched Sesame Street.. as well as many older and younger...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »

It's the "I can see Russia from my house" moment of the election. All we need is someone on SNL to say it and it'll become true.

See, liberals can do away with facts, too!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Asks the hispanic mom next door

"would you rather that the government pay for your food stamps, or big bird."

"WTF is Big Bird?"
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 11:03:36 AM by angus »

"WTF is Big Bird?"

If she's a Mexican mom, she'll know Plaza Sésamo.  It's as popular as Sesame Street is among the anglophone crowd.  I bought my son a book called "Los insectos con Archibaldo" in Mexico so he could learn some Spanish.  (Archibaldo is what they call Grover, and Archibaldo has that same scratchy weird voice as Grover, except that he speaks Spanish.)  The Big Bird character is actually green in the Mexican version, with some colorful feathers on his head and he is called Montoya, but, at least in Mexico, they know that in the Yankee version his is yellow and called Big Bird.  Cookie Monster is called Lucas, Kermit is called René, the gay lovers Bert and Ernie are called Beto y Enrique, and Elmo, of course, is called Elmo, but his girlfriend Zoe is called Lola in the Spanish version.

Montoya:

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

"WTF is Big Bird?"

If she's a Mexican mom, she'll know Plaza Sésamo.  It's as popular as Sesame Street is among the anglophone crowd.  I bought my son a book called "Los insectos con Archibaldo" in Mexico so he could learn some Spanish.  (Archibaldo is what they call Grover, and Archibaldo has that same scratchy weird voice as Grover, except that he speaks Spanish.)  The Big Bird character is actually green in the Mexican version, with some colorful feathers on his head and he is called Montoya, but, at least in Mexico, they know that in the Yankee version his is yellow and called Big Bird.  Cookie Monster is called Lucas, Kermit is called René, the gay lovers Bert and Ernie are called Beto y Enrique, and Elmo, of course, is called Elmo, but his girlfriend Zoe is called Lola in the Spanish version.

Montoya:

WTF is this? lol

I prefer the older Sesame Street from the 80s and early 90s, as of now its so politically correct, no normal kid wants to watch it anymore.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »

"WTF is Big Bird?"
She'll want Big Bird to pay for her food stamps.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »

I prefer the older Sesame Street from the 80s and early 90s, as of now its so politically correct, no normal kid wants to watch it anymore.

I love this. Sesame Street is like Saturday night live. People always think it was best when they first saw it

Also this is a show for 4 year olds. So I'm not sure what you mean by "normal kid"  I think most kids still watch because it's good TV and it's made for them.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »

I love this. Sesame Street is like Saturday night live. People always think it was best when they first saw it

Also this is a show for 4 year olds. So I'm not sure what you mean by "normal kid"  I think most kids still watch because it's good TV and it's made for them.
I'll take that back, every kid wants to watch Sesame Street.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »

Also this is a show for 4 year olds. So I'm not sure what you mean by "normal kid"  I think most kids still watch because it's good TV and it's made for them.

True.  My son is seven and he thinks its so stoopid.  Won't watch it now.  I think at some point you outgrow that stuff.  He still likes Curious George, though.

Sesame was politically correct in 1972, by the way, and it was one of the few shows that really was, back then, but that didn't make it any less entertaining for the four-year-old.  I know I liked it, and so did most of my chums.  Electric Company was very politically correct as well.  The phrase "politically correct" hadn't occurred to anyone yet.  That phrase would make its debut in the late 80s, but certainly those two shows were very PC even in their infancy.  

Electric Company, incidentally, has become very, very weird.  It has evolved more than Sesame Street in the past 40 years.  And not in a good way.  For the uninitiated, here's what Electric Company was like in 1972:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYMijdQ_sA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=3kuKcX8QrOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEBxXNuEAjQ

For the over 40 crowd:  yes, Jennifer of the Jungle is the same chick from the Shake and Bake commercial.  I was so hot for her when I was four years old.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »

If China dumped $3-4 trillion on the ForEx on a single day in 5-10 years, when they can do it without being reliant upon exports to us

Oh man, you really don't understand numbers or economics, do you Politico? 

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »

Yeah, back in the early 70's when I was in the target audience, The Electric Company was way better than Sesame Street ever was.  Of course how could it not be better with Morgan Freeman in the cast?  Unfortunately, while it was a way better show, it wasn't something with obvious merchandizing tie-ins.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »

Not PBS, but You Can't Do That on Television FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApPYA9Fbro
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »

Exactly what can China do to us if they want their money back?  If they stop trading with us, they lose as much if not more than we do.  If they are crazy enough to try military action, we have thousands of hydrogen bombs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2012, 07:41:51 AM »

Talking of that sort of children's telly, how about Pipkins? I worry for the psychological wellbeing of anyone of watched that as a child, I really do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWf4ENrsl2I
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »

"If she's a Mexican mom, she'll know Plaza Sésamo."

Nope, she's never heard of him, sorry. Smiley So we have two votes. Just asked the white mom today on the other side. She thinks Big Bird deserves to make more money by going private. Smiley

In the informal Kenobi survey it's 3-0.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »

Yeah, back in the early 70's when I was in the target audience.
The information we have all been waiting for!

Love the new sig image, btw, especially Bert and whatever-it's-called at bottom left.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies