Forbes ranks the most hipster neighborhoods in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:07:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Forbes ranks the most hipster neighborhoods in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forbes ranks the most hipster neighborhoods in America  (Read 603 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2012/09/20/americas-hippest-hipster-neighborhoods

1. Silver Lake, Los Angeles
2. Mission District, San Francisco
3. Williamsburg, Brooklyn
4. Wicker Park, Chicago
5. Pearl District, Portland
6. H Street Corridor, D.C.
7. East Austin, Austin
8. Capitol Hill, Seattle
9. The Uptown, Oakland
10. Warehouse District, New Orleans
11. Downtown Portland, Portland (Maine)
12. North Loop, Minneapolis
13. North Park, San Diego
14. Northern Liberties, Philadelphia
15. Hampden, Baltimore
16. Little Five Points, Atlanta
17. LoHi, Denver
18. Allston-Brighton, Boston
19. Wynwood, Miami
20. Lower Westheimer, Houston

I find it kind of LOL that Forbes Magazine of all things would do something like this, and North Loop is definitely NOT the most hipster neighborhood in Minneapolis. They used a pretty objective criteria of course, but North Loop is more like near the cusp of middle age latte liberal DINK couples than hipsters for the few people that live there. It's a mostly commercial non-residential tourist-oriented area.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »

This is much more valuable than the high crime reports on places to avoid.  Thx Forbes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »

This is much more valuable than the high crime reports on places to avoid.  Thx Forbes.

Ah yes, exurbia along the lines of Michele Bachmann's district is so much more fun to be in. Roll Eyes

I should note in this instance that would mean never going to Twins games, as their stadium is located in North Loop. As noted though that's not where the hipsters are, they should've included somewhere like Lowry Hill East instead.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »

Hipsters are inauthentic poseurs that are an enemy to the working class.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:55 PM »

So what do you think about DIY scene people? (Who tend to live in the same areas, or at least near them.)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »

So what do you think about DIY scene people? (Who tend to live in the same areas, or at least near them.)

Hey DIY is great yet when you start throwing the word "scene" around I get queasy. You like to build stuff, great. You like to dress like a tool, bravo. A lot of this is just so much attention whoring; and at the same time being a useful idiot for the real estate pimps and gentrification. When these same people move back where they came from or settle down to domesticity in the suburbs, the problems faced by working families will still be there and will have been worsened by their presence.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »

H Street shouldn't be in the top ten, it's pretty small and most of the people there aren't really anything like the hipsters in Williamsburg or Silver Lake. East Austin (er... parts of East Austin at least; other parts are super poor and 100% black or Hispanic) should be higher.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »

Well at least they got Seattle right. Might have confused it for Freemont or Ballard or even Bellltown if they were wrong.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 02:54:08 AM »

David Foster Wallace wrote a thousand-page novel set in a fictionalized Allston-Brighton. Just putting that out there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:20:02 AM »

Hey DIY is great yet when you start throwing the word "scene" around I get queasy. You like to build stuff, great. You like to dress like a tool, bravo. A lot of this is just so much attention whoring; and at the same time being a useful idiot for the real estate pimps and gentrification. When these same people move back where they came from or settle down to domesticity in the suburbs, the problems faced by working families will still be there and will have been worsened by their presence.

That...doesn't sound like anywhere here at all. Maybe because Minneapolis isn't as full of trust fund kiddies. But seriously the overpriced and gentrified areas here are not the "hipster" ones. My neighborhood is considered fairly hipster and my rent hasn't gone up in four years. In fact part of why North Loop is a bad example is because most in the hipster demographic are outpriced out of it (but it was never a residential neighborhood anyway.)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »

The Mission isn't that hipster. It's mostly yuppies and working-class hispanics, with the former group constantly growing in size. I'd think that Haight-Ashbury is a much more hipster neighborhood.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies