The People's Party (The People's Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:35:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The People's Party (The People's Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Author Topic: The People's Party (The People's Thread)  (Read 22850 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »

I'm not sure reducing the overall number of Senators is really a good way to go, either.

(But ignore me! I'm not a member of TPP, just chiming in!)

We could then have two classes of regional Senators, a set of four elected alongside the President, and another set of four elected alongside the At-Large Senators.

That would increase the overall number of Senators to 13.

(Off-topic- Wouldn't it be interesting to fun to the "Senior Senator from the Mideast" or the "Junior Senator from the Southeast", etc?)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »

You're ignored, Marokai. Wink

I like 10 as a number too if not more, although I still favor giving regions control over electing their own senators. We debated this idea too a while ago and it got nowhere.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »

I like it - it encompasses what our party stands for in a shorter manner than my long winded diatribe.

I can add it to the first page too so anyone who wants to access it easily can do so.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »

I'm not sure reducing the overall number of Senators is really a good way to go, either.

We could then have two classes of regional Senators, a set of four elected alongside the President, and another set of four elected alongside the At-Large Senators.

(Off-topic- Wouldn't it be interesting to fun to the "Senior Senator from the Mideast" or the "Junior Senator from the Southeast", etc?)

Ignore me too, but wouldn't abolishing at-large senators mean a huge disparity in voting power? Cause the bigger regions in Atlasia have more than twice the population as some of the smaller ones?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »

I think we should ultimately keep the at-large and regional seats for compromise sake. I just advocated the regions be in charge of their own senate elections as opposed to them going in the federal voting booth. I'd like to see the regions take charge of the presidential election too, but that may be too much for The People to handle at once Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2012, 11:29:09 PM by TexasDem »

Ignore me too, but wouldn't abolishing at-large senators mean a huge disparity in voting power? Cause the bigger regions in Atlasia have more than twice the population as some of the smaller ones?

I never advocated abolishing the at-large Senate. I just suggested making two classes of regional Senators and eliminating the Midwest Region. So basically 5 at-large, and 8 regional, with two per region. Just a thought. Wink

I think we should ultimately keep the at-large and regional seats for compromise sake. I just advocated the regions be in charge of their own senate elections as opposed to them going in the federal voting booth. I'd like to see the regions take charge of the presidential election too, but that may be too much for The People to handle at once Tongue

I agree about regional Senate elections, but how exactly could the regions take charge of the presidential election?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »

I never advocated abolishing the at-large Senate. I just suggested making two classes of regional Senators and eliminating the Mideast Region.
Over my dead body.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »

I never advocated abolishing the at-large Senate. I just suggested making two classes of regional Senators and eliminating the Mideast Region.
Over my dead body.

I think he meant Midwest.... hopefully Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »

I agree about regional Senate elections, but how exactly could the regions take charge of the presidential election?

Simple! Presidential voting booths would be split up on a regional basis, and would vote on their own, and the winner of the Presidential election would be determined by having a majority of the regions, as general voting blocs, voting for them. Like a sort of pseudo-electoral-college system.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »

I never advocated abolishing the at-large Senate. I just suggested making two classes of regional Senators and eliminating the Mideast Region. So basically 5 at-large, and 8 regional, with two per region. Just a thought. Wink

There was talk about allowing the regional governors administer the presidential race via regional threads instead of having one thread for the entire election. Ultimately it seemed like it would be too complicated to keep count and it would hurt turnout, but it still may be something we can revisit in the future.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »

Over my dead body.
The Midwest Region, I meant, sorry.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »

BTW, when and where will we have a TPP convention?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »

Simple! Presidential voting booths would be split up on a regional basis, and would vote on their own, and the winner of the Presidential election would be determined by having a majority of the regions, as general voting blocs, voting for them. Like a sort of pseudo-electoral-college system.

I think there could be problems with that system given the population disparity in the various regions, but I think some form of electoral college system would be a good idea in theory - it'd be interesting to see Presidential candidates campaigning in regions.

On the more general point, I think enhancing the power and influence of the regions is almost always a good thing, so I'd be interested in exploring this.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #263 on: December 24, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »

BTW, when and where will we have a TPP convention?

A week before the February general election.

I think there could be problems with that system given the population disparity in the various regions, but I think some form of electoral college system would be a good idea in theory - it'd be interesting to see Presidential candidates campaigning in regions.

On the more general point, I think enhancing the power and influence of the regions is almost always a good thing, so I'd be interested in exploring this.

It's certainly a discussion we should have going forward whether we do what Marokai mentioned or simply allow them to administer the voting booths for their regional senators. Opponents will say it will hurt turnout, but I think in the long run it will be good for regional activity even if we do see a dip in turnout on the first election. It will give governors a responsibility to open the booth and close it on time, you know.. Tongue

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #264 on: December 24, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

It will give governors a responsibility to open the booth and close it on time, you know.. Tongue

An issue I'm desperately trying to get sorted out in the Midwest before any change actually happens. Tongue

But at this point, I think it's safe to reveal Duke and I believe in crafting a regionally based Presidential election system, and it's currently a component of rather large Presidential platform we're still working out before prettying up for formal presentation.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #265 on: December 24, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2012, 04:38:00 PM by TexasDem »

Here are some host cities I would suggest for our party's convention-
-Austin, Texas
-St. Louis, Missouri
-Virginia Beach, Virginia
-Honolulu, Hawaii
-Newport Beach, California

And I look forward to reading your final proposal on a regionally based Presidential Election System!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #266 on: December 24, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »

TPP and Atlasia,

I wanted to take time to wish all of you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Kwanza on this Christmas Eve. I am fortunate to work with a great group of people in this Party and in Atlasia, and on this Christmas Eve, I am confident our best days as a country are ahead of us. To The People, as we go into 2013, let's make this Party a vessel for reform and discussion, and set forth the vision of the new game we all sought to create when we dismantled the parties of old.

Thank you all for joining me on this journey, for it is you, The People, that make it all worth it.

Have a wonderful holiday,

Duke
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »

As I'm sure no one noticed, I have returned from NY and am ready for the new year!

We need to pick a convention city for the upcoming elections.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #268 on: January 01, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We could call it "Texas".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »

Happy New Year to the People's Party
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »

I second Buffalo. I'm also all for aborting the Mideast.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »

I second Newport Beach, CA. After spending 5 days in NYC, the warm weather will be a welcome sight for us all.

And Simfan, don't you mean the Midwest?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »

I nominate Richmond, VA
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »

I second Buffalo. I'm also all for aborting the Mideast.

Third Smiley
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »

I second Newport Beach, CA. After spending 5 days in NYC, the warm weather will be a welcome sight for us all.

And Simfan, don't you mean the Midwest?

Yes, the Midwest in all its weirdness.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies