Paul Ryan: Our tax plan is too hard to explain!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:01:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Paul Ryan: Our tax plan is too hard to explain!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Paul Ryan: Our tax plan is too hard to explain!  (Read 1279 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »

"It would take me too long to go through all of the math."

-- Rep. Paul Ryan, in an interview on Fox News, after host Chris Wallace played a clip of President Obama saying "they tell you they're gonna start talking specifics really soon, they don't do it. And the reason is because the math doesn't work."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/09/30/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html
ajb
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »

-- Rep. Paul Ryan, in an interview on Fox News, after host Chris Wallace played a clip of President Obama saying "they tell you they're gonna start talking specifics really soon, they don't do it. And the reason is because the math doesn't work."

If only there was some platform on which lengthy and complex documents could be presented to the interested public for their perusal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »

Ryan doesn't want to "explain" all the popular deductions that will have to be truncated to get his math into the zone that has some patina of credibility. The end. Thanks.

Mittens thought he was going to get away with being vague. So far, it's not working out for him. Frankly it is kind of insulting - just like Obama's silence on entitlements.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2012, 11:24:23 PM by pbrower2a »

In other words, "Trust (in) Me!"

It's a Disney cartoon.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »

It's not hard to explain. It's too politically damaging to explain.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »

Paul Ryan is such an arrogant prick. Laying out a plan to save America is not as important as making someone who is trying fail. He is the poster child for modern, dividing, 21st century corrupt politics that put trying to make someone fail ahead of making the world succeed.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »

This is true, but frankly, expecting someone to explain an entire tax plan is asking a bit much these days- even if it would yield public discontentment.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »

This is true, but frankly, expecting someone to explain an entire tax plan is asking a bit much these days- even if it would yield public discontentment.

Not really. You have your site to post it on. The least Romney can do is show us the rates.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »

He just walked in to that, as if he had been hit by a revolving door on the way in and then on the way out.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2012, 12:09:54 AM by Politico »

The tax plan is hard to explain before the election, but one thing that is not hard to explain: Romney will not raise taxes on anybody. The rates will be going down for everybody by multiplying the current rates by 0.80 However, not many people will enjoy tax relief since exemptions will be slashed to keep the tax burdens unchanged. This will shift a number of bureaucrats out of the IRS, who will no longer be needed by virtue of the simplification of the tax code (Furthermore, filing taxes will be easier, so people can still get tax relief by no longer needing to pay accountants/lawyers as much as before, enabling people to use those funds on spending/investment that contributes to growth, not rent-seeking). This cut in spending is an example of the type of measures that will be undertaken to get the deficit into a manageable shape under Romney.

In comparison, Obama appears set to allow the tax rates FOR EVERYBODY to go back to pre-2001 levels on January 1, 2013. In order to get the deficit into shape, he will do this instead of cutting spending. If this is not the case, why has Obama NOT pledged otherwise?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

Obama can't just pass laws by fiat. If the Congress sends him a bill that cuts taxes on those making less than $250,000 back to pre-January 1, 2013 levels, he'll gladly sign it.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 12:10:50 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2012, 12:15:45 AM by Politico »

Obama can't just pass laws by fiat. If the Congress sends him a bill that cuts taxes on those making less than $250,000 back to pre-January 1, 2013 levels, he'll gladly sign it.

No, he won't. He will veto it because he knows there is no other way to get a tax hike in the next four years due to the GOP House's pledge to not raise taxes. He will not cut spending and he cannot run trillion dollar deficits for four more years. The most palatable poison for him, NOT YOU, is simply letting the tax cuts expire for everybody.

Trust me, he is going to blow his political capital on this because of economic realities that force him into this decision. It is the price he will have to pay for being the first administration to run trillion dollar deficits for an entire presidential term, and for refusing to cut spending. I hope you are looking "forward" to a tax-induced recession...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »

No, he won't. He will veto it because he knows there is no other way to get a tax hike in the next four years due to the GOP House's pledge to not raise taxes. He will not cut spending and he cannot run trillion dollar deficits for four more years. The most palatable poison for him, NOT YOU, is simply letting the tax cuts expire for everybody.

Trust me, he is going to blow his political capital on this because of economic realities that force him into this decision. It is the price he will have to pay for being the first administration to run trillion dollar deficits for an entire presidential term, and for refusing to cut spending. I hope you are looking "forward" to a tax-induced recession...

Vetoing tax cuts passed by the GOP House. The people will love him! Especially his base!  Not to mention his donors. Just in time for midterms, too.

Tell me again, why aren't you supporting the candidate who actually promises to let the tax cuts expire compared to one who you simply believe is lying about saying he won't?  Oh, right.  Malaise and what not.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2012, 12:47:50 AM by Politico »

Vetoing tax cuts passed by the GOP House. The people will love him! Especially his base!  Not to mention his donors. Just in time for midterms, too.

When elections are out of the way, economic realities trump politics. Go ask George H.W. Bush.

Besides, the GOP House is not going to budge an inch, especially if Obama wins re-election. They will keep voting over and over again for bills that keep the tax rates for everybody at current levels. They will not agree to pass a bill that essentially raises taxes on anybody such as the one you have proposed. Democrats in the Senate may allow the GOP bills to pass, but Obama will veto them because he knows there is no other way to get a tax hike through than allowing the pre-2001 levels to come back on January 1, 2013. He will blame the GOP House, and the GOP House will blame him, but the bottomline: Taxes are going up for everybody on January 1. This is the price we pay for Obama's recklessness the past four years.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »

I would like to know at least ONE or TWO loopholes he would cut. If we can't even get that, than it is probably a worthless plan that will do nothing but continue to bloat the budget, and its there just so that Romney can say he has a plan.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 12:59:58 AM »

Vetoing tax cuts passed by the GOP House. The people will love him! Especially his base!  Not to mention his donors. Just in time for midterms, too.

When elections are out of the way, economic realities trump politics. Go ask George H.W. Bush.

Besides, the GOP House is not going to budge an inch, especially if Obama wins re-election. They will keep voting over and over again for bills that keep the tax rates for everybody at current levels. They will not agree to pass a bill that essentially raises taxes on anybody such as the one you have proposed. Democrats in the Senate may allow the GOP bills to pass, but Obama will veto them because he knows there is no other way to get a tax hike through than allowing the pre-2001 levels to come back on January 1, 2013. He will blame the GOP House, and the GOP House will blame him, but the bottomline: Taxes are going up for everybody on January 1. This is the price we pay for Obama's recklessness the past four years.

Politico, please clear this up.

As far as I can tell, you're hoping Romney does something when he's elected (veto the Bush tax cut extensions) that you don't want Obama to do if he's re-elected?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 01:00:22 AM »

I would like to know at least ONE or TWO loopholes he would cut. If we can't even get that, than it is probably a worthless plan that will do nothing but continue to bloat the budget, and its there just so that Romney can say he has a plan.

He cannot release details right now for political reasons. If Democrats hear that Romney is going to cut an exemption that benefits ANYBODY besides the wealthy, they'll be all over it with twisted attack ads claiming that Romney wants to raise taxes on poor people to benefit rich people. Romney and Co. are not falling for that trap.

Romney pledges that taxes will not go up for any group. The rates going down also means eliminating a lot of exemptions simply because we cannot run perpetual trillion dollar deficits. We'll have plenty of time to talk about this after the election, of course...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 01:01:47 AM »

He cannot release details right now for political reasons. If Democrats hear that Romney is going to cut an exemption that benefits ANYBODY besides the wealthy, they'll be all over it with twisted attack ads claiming that Romney wants to raise taxes on poor people to benefit rich people. Romney and Co. are not falling for that trap.

How is that supposed to give me confidence that Romney is a strong leader?  That he is better than Obama?

Not being wiling to do things for political reasons sounds like Jimmy Carter to me not Ronald Reagan.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »

Politico, please clear this up.

As far as I can tell, you're hoping Romney does something when he's elected (veto the Bush tax cut extensions) that you don't want Obama to do if he's re-elected?

Romney wants an extension of the 2001 tax cuts coupled with a drop in the rates by multiplying each of them by 0.80. In order to ensure the deficit does not get out of whack, many exemptions will need to be cut. We cannot talk about the latter for political reasons even though the tax reform will be done in such a way that tax burdens are largely unchanged.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »

How is that supposed to give me confidence that Romney is a strong leader?  That he is better than Obama?

Not being wiling to do things for political reasons sounds like Jimmy Carter to me not Ronald Reagan.

If Romney says what exemptions will be cut, Democrats will twist that into something it is not. We're not falling for that crap trap.

Romney's tax reform will not be much in the way of tax relief, but it will streamline the tax code, eliminate wasteful bureaucracy, and make life simpler for everybody other than those in the IRS and accountants/lawyers who specialize in tax issues.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 01:17:54 AM »

If Romney says what exemptions will be cut, Democrats will twist that into something it is not. We're not falling for that crap trap.

Romney's tax reform will not be much in the way of tax relief, but it will streamline the tax code, eliminate wasteful bureaucracy, and make life simpler for everybody other than those in the IRS and accountants/lawyers who specialize in tax issues.

If he said what I put in bold, he might win my support.  He doesn't that say that kind of thing.

Your first line, "something it is not" I don't get it.  What could they possibly spin it as that isn't true?  If Romney is clear about what he means, then it can't be spun.  Now, some people might say that higher rates and exemptions is better than low rates and no exemptions.  That's debate.  Not spin.

Romney wants an extension of the 2001 tax cuts coupled with a drop in the rates by multiplying each of them by 0.80. In order to ensure the deficit does not get out of whack, many exemptions will need to be cut. We cannot talk about the latter for political reasons even though the tax reform will be done in such a way that tax burdens are largely unchanged.

What you wrote right here is perfect.  Romney just needs to take 30 seconds out of his life to say he will do this.  It's obviously not as complicated as Paul Ryan says.

What Romney says right now leads one to believe that he wants to reduce government revenue an additional 20% on top of the Bush tax cuts (which he refuses to say he will repeal) and has no spending cuts proposed to make up for it nor has no projection for what will happen to revenue if he enacted this plan.

That's the problem with Romney, and with Obama, and with a lot of politicians today.  He's too weak to actually know how to propose this thing.   The American people don't actually support or oppose the Bush tax cuts, not even conservatives do.  They THINK they do because they think it's their only option.  Bush tax cuts or no Bush tax cuts.  People are open to another idea.  That's why Herman Cain launched forward with 999, which failed because it wasn't a good plan nor was he a great candidate.  The Third Way idea is how Clinton became so popular.  People like candidates who compromise, which doesn't mean 50-50 give things up, but find a new idea that both sides can both agree upon.

All has Romney has to do is say what you said.  He needs to be Presidential.  "Listen, I am not going to support an extension of the Bush tax cuts.  I don't support any continuation of the tax code as it currently is.  I think we need a new way and I propose a new way.  We can generate the same or even great revenue in a new system that doesn't waste billions in IRS audits and accountants.  We'll lose some tax credits that sound good by name, but in the end you'll pay lower rates and come Tax Day, spend less time filling out forms, writing checks to accountants, and have more time with your families."  There.  

The people have their ears open, but Mitt Romney isn't speaking to the people.  He doesn't think they are smart enough, or he's afraid of them.  Either way, Romney is going to lose because of it.  

He's "waiting til after the election" to say things and that kind of talk only has people assuming the worst, like Romney is going to set up concentration camps or something.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »

Mitt Romney has an awesome secret plan to fix the tax system? Sounds a lot like Nixon's secret plan to end the Vietnam war by starting secret wars in neighboring countries, too.  Backing Pol Pot sure made us look good.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 01:43:35 AM »

Romney pledges that taxes will not go up for any group. The rates going down also means eliminating a lot of exemptions simply because we cannot run perpetual trillion dollar deficits. We'll have plenty of time to talk about this after the election, of course...

So just to be clear, the details of Romney's tax plan are a secret that he can't trust the public with until after the election. And you're applauding that?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 01:49:38 AM »

So just to be clear, the details of Romney's tax plan are a secret that he can't trust the public with until after the election. And you're applauding that?

To be quite fair, I wouldn't trust the American public...with really anything. Why can't we just get both parties to hide all of their policies? It'd make elections a lot funner.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 01:56:04 AM »

Ass-clown
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies