Will the Libya Crisis Help Obama or Romney?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:33:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will the Libya Crisis Help Obama or Romney?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Who will it help?
Obama

Romney

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Will the Libya Crisis Help Obama or Romney?  (Read 8233 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »

Obama, unless he screws it up
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »

Seems like it helps Romney; it's not big enough to provoke a rally-round-the-flag event but it's big enough to say 'look at this presidential failure'. Right now Romney is handling it pretty poorly, so it may help nobody. It has to get bigger before there is a path to making this a positive for Obama, though. Voted Romney, but 'nobody' is more likely.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »

Obama.

Mitt already ****ed up so by default this helps the President.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »

Neither...by september 20 its forgotten news.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »

I doubt there will be any major effect.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »

I don't see how it can help Romney. Outside the Fox news bubble, no one thinks that crazy Islamists attacking embassies is Obama's fault. And what little Mitt Romney has shown on how he deals with FP only makes him appear to be someone who could end up getting us into another war, something Americans certainly don't want.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »

Unless this situation drags out for an extended period of time, I don't see how it will hurt Obama.  Romney's poor handling of the situation makes me lean towards it hurting Romney if anybody, but most likely Romney's comments will have little long term effect, being forgotten by the next news cycle.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

My problem with who I think this will help is that I tend to foolishly expect the American public to react to things coherently, consistent with past beliefs and statements. From an objective point of view, I don't see any way this helps Romney. Polls regularly state that Obama, by far, is more trusted to handle foreign affairs, Romney has absolutely no coherent foreign policy positions or general approach in contrast to Obama who has a very cool-headed and efficient foreign policy, Romney has horribly bungled every foreign policy issue that has faced him in the last year, including this one, and Obama has handled this situation as well as you could expect a President to, with a much cooler head than any other mainstream Republican would have.

When looked at through a mature lens, everything seems to point toward helping Obama and nothing suggests Romney will benefit from it. But the American public are irrational and can change their opinions on a dime, which is why I'm always worried that things won't go the way they should.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »

Anyone who thinks Romney's trigger-happy and flippant foreign "policy" attitude will help him in this time of crisis is higher than the Freedom Tower, or they're being blatant trolls - which with the right-wingers around here isn't surprising...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »

Neither.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »

Helps neither, but hurts Romney.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »

Needs a helps Gary Johnson option

(hackery)

Doesn't help anyone, hurts Obama a little and Romney a lot.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »

It hurts Obama. The longer it drags out the worse it is for the President.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »

What data do you have to claim this?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »

Neither...by september 20 its forgotten news.

This.

Remember the hot mic incident with Medvedev?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »

Obama's won the early spin and it will be forgotten in a few weeks.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

Mitt already made an ass of himself. While the rest of the country was mourning the diplomats who were killed, Mitt was rubbing salt in the wound and trying to make it a political issue. It didn't make Obama look weak; it just reinforced the public perception of Romney as a mean-spirited person who completely lacks empathy.

There's no hostage situation going on. Other than ratcheting up security around embassies in "unstable" Islamic countries, what else is there to do? I don't think any reasonable person thinks Obama was supposed to personally go to Libya and storm through Benghazi, guns blazing, and indiscriminately shoot a bunch of Libyans before sticking American flags in their bodies while fireworks go off in the background, eagles soar overhead and a "F*** YEAH AMERICA" banner unfurls behind him.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 06:37:12 AM »

It’s just my opinion. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong in the next round of polling.
The Obama administration is trying to appease the protesters in the Arab spring countries by condemning the questionable movie. By doing so, they are in essence accepting the blame for the protests and apologizing to the protesters for provoking them.
I think that will make the Obama administration appear weak, particularly if the protests drag out, and give Romney, who is lightweight on foreign policy, some ammunition.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 07:10:03 AM »

It’s just my opinion. We’ll see if I’m right or wrong in the next round of polling.
The Obama administration is trying to appease the protesters in the Arab spring countries by condemning the questionable movie. By doing so, they are in essence accepting the blame for the protests and apologizing to the protesters for provoking them.
I think that will make the Obama administration appear weak, particularly if the protests drag out, and give Romney, who is lightweight on foreign policy, some ammunition.

Considering the state of Romney's campaign so far, if Obama were to give him ammunition, he'd probably use them as Monopoly game pieces.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »

3 embassies in 2 days, an ambassador dead, and on the aniversery of 9-11 to boot is a pretty big deal and won't be "forgotten" anywhere near as much as "I will transmit this to Vladimir" which isn't forgotten it just isn't focused on.   

Given how half the country saw this coming makes it a major problem for Obama's foreign policy credibility.  BO handled his response(s) so poorly many people were physically ill / boiling at the situation.  3 major acts of war against the United States and Obama says "It's a bad day, hey I'm off to campaign in Vegas!"

The Romney situation is weird because the media went kamikaze on him for no apparent reason other than hackery.  Everything Romney said was true and well timed.  Frankly he needed to be President on 9-11 and 4 Americans might well be alive.  Not to mention American prestige would be much better.             
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

3 embassies in 2 days, an ambassador dead, and on the aniversery of 9-11 to boot is a pretty big deal and won't be "forgotten" anywhere near as much as "I will transmit this to Vladimir" which isn't forgotten it just isn't focused on.   

Given how half the country saw this coming makes it a major problem for Obama's foreign policy credibility.  BO handled his response(s) so poorly many people were physically ill / boiling at the situation.  3 major acts of war against the United States and Obama says "It's a bad day, hey I'm off to campaign in Vegas!"

The Romney situation is weird because the media went kamikaze on him for no apparent reason other than hackery.  Everything Romney said was true and well timed.  Frankly he needed to be President on 9-11 and 4 Americans might well be alive.  Not to mention American prestige would be much better.             

Everyone, this guy ^^ talks about people living in a bubble.

Seriously.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2012, 10:23:03 AM by patrick1 »

Given how half the country saw this coming makes it a major problem for Obama's foreign policy credibility.  BO handled his response(s) so poorly many people were physically ill / boiling at the situation.  3 major acts of war against the United States and Obama says "It's a bad day, hey I'm off to campaign in Vegas!"

The Romney situation is weird because the media went kamikaze on him for no apparent reason other than hackery.  Everything Romney said was true and well timed.  Frankly he needed to be President on 9-11 and 4 Americans might well be alive.  Not to mention American prestige would be much better.              

Seriously.

I don't know man after reading this and Politico's post about Romney's masculine 6'2 frame, I'm now convinced that Romney would have caught those bullets and RPG's with his teeth  He then would have created 10 American jobs in the auto industry using all that steel.

RIP to the victims and thanks for their service to this country.
Link
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »

Obama didn't spin anything.  And Obama didn't "win" anything.  A diplomat and several other people are dead.  The only people that "won" were crazy extremists.

Given how half the country saw this coming makes it a major problem for Obama's foreign policy credibility.  BO handled his response(s) so poorly many people were physically ill / boiling at the situation.  3 major acts of war against the United States and Obama says "It's a bad day, hey I'm off to campaign in Vegas!"

The Romney situation is weird because the media went kamikaze on him for no apparent reason other than hackery.  Everything Romney said was true and well timed.  Frankly he needed to be President on 9-11 and 4 Americans might well be alive.  Not to mention American prestige would be much better.              

Seriously.

I don't know man after reading this and Politico's post about Romney's masculine 6'2 frame, I'm now convinced that Romney would have caught those bullets and RPG's with his teeth  He then would have created 10 American jobs in the auto industry using all that steel.

RIP to the victims and thanks for their service to this country.

^This
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »

With the development of several additonal hot spots, Obama is not going to get any help from them.....if Romney gets his head out of his ass and doesn't say anything stupid he'll be helped.  JMO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies