Southern Whites troubled by Romneys wealth and religion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:52:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Southern Whites troubled by Romneys wealth and religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Southern Whites troubled by Romneys wealth and religion  (Read 5120 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Regardless who she votes for, I think she shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore after the 2012 election.  Ignorance runs strong in her.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

As with most of the Republican base.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »

Regardless who she votes for, I think she shouldn't be allowed to vote anymore after the 2012 election.  Ignorance runs strong in her.

How about any person who think Obama is a muslim, or not born in America, not be allowed to vote either. Especially those who don't know that Hawaii is a part of America.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »

Not sure why she STILL thinks he's Muslim.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »

Not sure why she STILL thinks he's Muslim.

How can a person named Barack Obama be Christian?  Converting someone with that name to Christianity would require evangelizing of some sort that Christians just aren't really into doing.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have a Nigerian friend who's been a Christian far longer than I. Lots of Christians in Africa. Smiley

As for Obama - when he talked about the prayer call for Islam, yeah, that's sorta a giveaway that you are Muslim.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »

I've seen the skittishness about the Rich Mormon up close.

A family friend of ours who has Southern Republican written all over him (Southern Baptist, very social conservative, had a W bumper sticker on his car all through the Bush Administration) recently posted an article on his Facebook that was written by some conservative pastor he knows that went on about how Mormons aren't "real" Christians and how their beliefs are supposedly so incompatible with America's Christian values that having a Mormon president would be disastrous.

The last time I saw this guy and his wife, they both said they have no intention of voting for Mitt Romney. He said he might not vote at all and his wife said she "just might have to vote for Obama" since she doesn't believe in not voting. They didn't say anything about his wealth and it seemed pretty clear his religion was their animating factor.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »

I guess there is the whole "devil you know" element.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »

I have a Nigerian friend who's been a Christian far longer than I. Lots of Christians in Africa. Smiley

As for Obama - when he talked about the prayer call for Islam, yeah, that's sorta a giveaway that you are Muslim.

What did he say about the prayer call for Islam? And how would that make him a muslim?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »

He said it was the most beautiful sound. That's like complimenting a guy on his firm ass and then qualifying it with, "yeah but I'm not gay".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 04:03:11 AM »

He said it was the most beautiful sound. That's like complimenting a guy on his firm ass and then qualifying it with, "yeah but I'm not gay".
If someone tells you a muezzin sounds gazillions better than a churchbell, it's proof he's not entirely stark raving mad, but nothing else. No one who's heard both and wasn't a stark anti-Muslim bigot has ever been known to voice a different opinion.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »

I would rather not hear church bells or the call to prayer. I still think a church bell is slightly better though.....
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

Is this the famed european tolerance thing I've heard so much ink spilled?

One would expect given someone's claim to be a Christian that he would indicate a preference for Christian things. That he demonstrates bias the other way is significant and indicates that his sincere conversion to Christianity is a myth.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

Haha you're such a laugh ! Keep on doing what you do Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »

Sometimes my son and I look up at clouds and we try to see what shape they are.  Sometimes we see rabbits.  Sometimes we see trains.  Sometimes we see Patrick from Spongebob Squarepants.  Really, all we're looking at are clouds, and sometimes it's hard to see anything other than a cloud, but if I think I see a tree, for example, I start to describe the tree.  That part of the nebulous nimbus cloud, on the upper left, see, that's the trunk.  See how hard and full it is, and it comes down to a wispy, frail part.  That's the canopy of leaves.  And he says, "oh, yeah, now I see it.  It does look like a tree."  
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

Very different. Maybe he would have a different idea of what constitutes sonic beauty if he had heard more Mozart in childhood.

Am I an Austrian if I consider a movement of Mozart's Gran Partita, K.361 for thirteen wind instruments, to contain some of the most beautiful sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l-_xHDeYXM
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »

Add a Midwestern White/First Nations guy to that. I'm voting for neither. Neither am I voting for Gary Johnson. My vote is for the only evangelical Christian that was in the GOP primary top 4, Dr. Ronald Earnest Paul.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »

Is this the famed european tolerance thing I've heard so much ink spilled?

One would expect given someone's claim to be a Christian that he would indicate a preference for Christian things. That he demonstrates bias the other way is significant and indicates that his sincere conversion to Christianity is a myth.

I may like churchbells better in their cultural context, but muezzin are more beautiful as a sound (not that churchbells aren't beautiful).
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 04:05:41 AM »

I would consider you to be a european. It would surprise me very little that someone of European extraction would find Mozart compelling.

If we believe Obama's account of his life - he left his Islamic heritage behind to adopt Christianity.

I used to love Heinlein and Asimov before my conversion and now I find him incredibly difficult to read. I had to put down the last Heinlein book I read. The gratuitious cheap shots to religion spoil his work for me. Tolkein on the other hand, just the opposite. I loved it before and he's even better now.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:56 AM »

Again, it's the principle that I am trying to get at. If Obama sincerely left this life behind, certain parts of his former life are not going to be pleasureable to revisit.

I have yet to see Obama praise any part of his Christian faith, although he did throw Reverend Wright under the bus.

What's the last positive thing that Obama had to say about Christianity and the Christian contribution to the world?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »

He was never a Muslim Ben. He had nothing to sincerely leave behind.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »

He was never a Muslim Ben. He had nothing to sincerely leave behind.

This. I'm amazed my how drastically misinformed Ben is...
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »

Again, it's the principle that I am trying to get at. If Obama sincerely left this life behind, certain parts of his former life are not going to be pleasureable to revisit.

I have yet to see Obama praise any part of his Christian faith, although he did throw Reverend Wright under the bus.

What's the last positive thing that Obama had to say about Christianity and the Christian contribution to the world?

Obama had no 'former life' to leave behind. His upbringing was secular if not outright atheist.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

Which is why he was enrolled in a Madrassa when he was overseas?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »

Sbane, Harry and Nathan - if you want to convince me, I'd like an actual answer to my question.

"What's the last positive thing that Obama had to say about Christianity and the Christian contribution to the world?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies