Vote Tracker: Equal Rights Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vote Tracker: Equal Rights Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Vote Tracker: Equal Rights Amendment  (Read 3565 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

Since this hasn't been done, I suppose I'll take the initiative...

Northeast: 2 Aye, 1 Nay
Mideast: 10 Aye, 7 Nay, 1 Abstain
IDS: 11 Aye, 6 Nay
Midwest: 5 Aye, 0 Nay
Pacific: 1 Aye, 0 Nay

Nationwide Total: 29 Aye, 14 Nay, 1 Abstain

The amendment is currently passing.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »

Looks like equality is on the march in Atlasia!
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »

Actually, it looks more like the amount of control we give the Federal Government is on the march in Atlasia.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »

Hopefully the Pacific can come out of nowhere and throw a spanner in the works.

Let's not get too hopeful.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »

Cheesy

Actually, it looks more like the amount of control we give the Federal Government is on the march in Atlasia.

Cheesy
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »

Oh TJ, why delete your silly posts?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2012, 05:07:13 PM by TJ in Wisco »

I felt concerned that said post could be used against me in future litigation on the topic. If this is used as a backdoor method of outlawing Catholicism for refusing to ordain women despite the ERA not having a religious exemption, that post will no longer be around for citing.

That and I realize I will need to leave in half an hour and cannot spend the entire rest of the day arguing and being quoted into the deluge a bunch of times.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »

I felt concerned that said post could be used against me in future litigation on the topic. If this is used as a backdoor method of outlawing Catholicism for refusing to ordain women despite the ERA not having a religious exemption, that post will no longer be around for citing.

That and I realize I will need to leave in half an hour and cannot spend the entire rest of the day arguing and being quoted into the deluge a bunch of times.

I can't wait for the Outlawing Catholicism Act of 2012!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »

The thing about this amendment is that if interpreted as many on the center-left argue it should, that it applies to civil unions and government-recognized rights, then it is pointless since those are already guarenteed without regard to gender or sexual orientation anyway. We already have anti-discrimination laws in place for housing, employment, etc. The only way this amendment does anything at all is if it is meant to close exemptions for religious institutions that are written into the current laws but not into the amendment.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »

It's all part of the evil plan, TJ.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

I can't wait for the Outlawing Catholicism Act of 2012!

You would never be so foolish as to write a bill and call it that. An employment discrimination lawsuit would work much better, especially since it would give you a reason to advocate such (or more likely argue that you are not for outlawing Catholicism persay, but only requiring that the Church not discriminate according to gender in it's hiring practices).
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »

Cheesy

Weeeeeee
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »

There is no plan, Marokai. It's all about the future emotional response of activists.

Make fun of me all you want, which is quite easy to do clearly and I'm not trying very hard to make it more difficult, but all you need to do is get people stirred up about some supposed right the Church has violated, not altogether unlike the contraception scuffle in the US this year, and then use the guise of "equality" to force the Church to comply. So it's not technically outlawing the Church, just outlawing carrying out it's practices. You aren't outlawing the "Freedom of Worship" as President Obama likes to call it in real life, only the ability to actually carry it out in the manner of the Church which forbids female priests.

In this game, we often pass myopic idealistic laws based on feelings of solidarity with some discriminated against group, but the great fault of this game is that it's players never have to deal with the actual results of the laws they pass. This entire bill, throughout the whole debate, the argument of the left that this amendment would not be interpreted in such a way is just that "we don't want it to be" so everyone should therefor just accept that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »

Yikes. This must be the worst post you have ever made. How in the world does guaranteeing rights to the people and therefore limiting the power of government qualify as an expansion of federal power? Jesus christ.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »

Yikes. This must be the worst post you have ever made. How in the world does guaranteeing rights to the people and therefore limiting the power of government qualify as an expansion of federal power? Jesus christ.

Well, I for one, thought it was one of his best posts. Wink
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look, I'm as much for equal rights for everyone as the next guy, but there is already legislation to give everyone rights, thus this law is superfluous. Gays have rights, abortion is legal, hate crimes are against the law, so why do we need another law to reinforce that?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Look, I'm as much for equal rights for everyone as the next guy, but there is already legislation to give everyone rights, thus this law is superfluous. Gays have rights, abortion is legal, hate crimes are against the law, so why do we need another law to reinforce that?

The Senate shall the power to enforce equal rights...that is a problem how? How does that give the federal government more control? It guarantees rights to the people. Now, it is quite obvious that a constitutional amendment goes significantly further than legislation does. Its why I wanted a constitutional amendment to prohibit conscription...also to guarantee rights to the people. I didn't see you opposing that and claiming it was redundant. The fact is, the future is uncertain and I would be more comfortable in a society, even as a heterosexual male, knowing I was guaranteed equal rights.
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »

The Senate shall the power to enforce equal rights...that is a problem how? How does that give the federal government more control? It guarantees rights to the people. Now, it is quite obvious that a constitutional amendment goes significantly further than legislation does. Its why I wanted a constitutional amendment to prohibit conscription...also to guarantee rights to the people. I didn't see you opposing that and claiming it was redundant. The fact is, the future is uncertain and I would be more comfortable in a society, even as a heterosexual male, knowing I was guaranteed equal rights.

Look, if you seriously think there is an imminent threat of equal rights becoming an endangered species-type thing in Atlasia, you're mistaken. There are simply too many people who support equal rights (I being one of them.)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »

Are we reading different amendments?

Emphasis mine. It seems to be a prohibition on government actions and does not regulate private conduct.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »

Current Totals:

Northeast: 5 Aye, 2 Nay
Mideast: 13 Aye, 7 Nay, 1 Abstain
IDS: 11 Aye, 6 Nay
Midwest: 7 Aye, 0 Nay
Pacific: 2 Aye, 0 Nay

Nationwide Total: 38 Aye, 15 Nay, 1 Abstain

The amendment is currently passing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 12:21:07 AM »

I have no real opinion on this amendment, other than that I think the regions should have been the organ of enforcement. Grin
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »

Are we reading different amendments?

Emphasis mine. It seems to be a prohibition on government actions and does not regulate private conduct.

Perhaps we're interpreting them differently. I'll admit when I'm wrong, I'm notorious for that, but the amendment will not fail because of my vote.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 06:32:33 AM »

Given that the ERA under this wording has passed in many states and is incorporated into many state constitutions in the USA, the very idea that it will stop churches being able to choose who can minister is absurd.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »

Given that the ERA under this wording has passed in many states and is incorporated into many state constitutions in the USA, the very idea that it will stop churches being able to choose who can minister is absurd.

This is what I have always believed.  Churches already have autonomy rights under age old law and privacy/assembly rights are protected as well.  The amendment merely states that the regional and Federal governments can't roll back any laws that protect equality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies