The Democratic leadership is finally getting their act together
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:15:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Democratic leadership is finally getting their act together
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Democratic leadership is finally getting their act together  (Read 7429 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2005, 03:27:21 AM »

I have to admit that Reid is a better leader than Daschle, even though he's more conservative.

Here's the new Democratic agenda. Let no one accuse the Democrats of not having a plan again.

http://democrats.senate.gov/issues.html
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 06:54:20 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2005, 07:15:23 PM by Bob »

Daschle was a pushover. What kind of Minority Leader gets booted out by his own state? Reid is a strong leader, and he'll help the Dems in red states, where they're hurting. A very strong improvement so far.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 06:17:22 AM »

Reid's done a good job so far. Moderate and Tough at the same time.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 01:20:47 PM »

Yeah, the Democratic leadership IS getting their act together.... oh except for support of voting against Condi Rice and contesting Ohio's results, the only 2 partisan things that have happened since they nominated Reid.  We should've nominated Boxer; at least she has guts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 05:23:22 PM »

Yeah, the Democratic leadership IS getting their act together.... oh except for support of voting against Condi Rice and contesting Ohio's results, the only 2 partisan things that have happened since they nominated Reid.  We should've nominated Boxer; at least she has guts.

Daschle would have excessively apoligized for everything. That guy was the worst communicator.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14:17 PM »

Daschle would have excessively apoligized for everything. That guy was the worst communicator.

I agree, but seriously screw Daschle and screw Reid (for being almost as bad)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 08:23:06 PM »

We need to get Rahm Emanuel in power in the House.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 09:04:38 PM »

He's definitely a rising star, but he needs more experience. He's only been in the House for a little over two years.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 09:09:38 PM »

He's definitely a rising star, but he needs more experience. He's only been in the House for a little over two years.

He's a veteran of the Clinton war room. Enough experience for me.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 10:13:19 PM »

I saw him on Meet the Press two weeks ago and he was absolutley horrible.  He dodged every question that was asked.  Untill that interview I saw him as a solid Democrat, but his performance on that show was terrible.  Did anyone else see this episode?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 10:44:21 PM »

I saw him on Meet the Press two weeks ago and he was absolutley horrible.  He dodged every question that was asked.  Untill that interview I saw him as a solid Democrat, but his performance on that show was terrible.  Did anyone else see this episode?

No, but it sounds interesting. Do you see any long-term potential for him as a leader?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 11:46:10 PM »

No, but it sounds interesting. Do you see any long-term potential for him as a leader?

I dont know that much about him, but up untill that interview I was extremley impressed by everything I read and heard about the guy.  He has been on Hannity and Colmes a couple times and some of his comments have left Hannity without an intelligent come back.... That is always a good thing, LOL.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 11:48:27 PM »

Um, Hannity has intelligent come backs?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 11:55:37 PM »

Not really, but I couldnt think of any other shows I see Rahm on.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 07:32:38 AM »

At this stage, Harry Reid has my total confidence. I think he'll do a good job

Dave
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 08:56:06 AM »

Not really, but I couldnt think of any other shows I see Rahm on.

He's been on Crossfire
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »

Based upon what I have seen, it seems that Barbara Boxer is the Senate Democratic leader.  Whoever the nominal leader is, Boxer is the public face of the Democrats in the Senate now.  And what an ugly, disturbing and hateful face it is.

I love the Boxer/Pelosi combination.  Two far-left nutjobs from the San Francisco Bay area, as the two most prominent Democrats in the country.  All they need is a Bella Abzug reincarnation from Greenwich Village to make the picture complete.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2005, 10:32:12 AM »

Based upon what I have seen, it seems that Barbara Boxer is the Senate Democratic leader.  Whoever the nominal leader is, Boxer is the public face of the Democrats in the Senate now.  And what an ugly, disturbing and hateful face it is.

I love the Boxer/Pelosi combination.  Two far-left nutjobs from the San Francisco Bay area, as the two most prominent Democrats in the country.  All they need is a Bella Abzug reincarnation from Greenwich Village to make the picture complete.

Reid has done a good job organizing the Democrats to have a coherent  plan but unfortunately, Reid and his plan is not the public face of the Democrats.

Publically challenging the counting of the OH EV, despite a 120,000 vote margin, for the first time in 150 yrs.,  Ex KKK Byrd calling Rice a liar and holding up the Sec State nomination for the first time in 100 yrs., Kennedy calling Iraq a quagmire, total opposition to reforming Soc Sec. , all these make the Democrats look like whining, angry, nasty, fear-mongers. And soon the Democrats will again be obstructing votes for Federal judges.
This gets cheers from Democratic activists, but I don't think it will help convince average voters that the Democrats are ready to govern again.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2005, 01:05:53 PM »

I'm not a fan of party machines.  But from what I gather, the Democrats can at least begin to rebuild with Reid at the helm.  However, that goes only for the Senate.  What Gingrich achieved for the Republicans in 1994 was using the House as his base.  If the Dems want to try and repeat that 'revolution' for themselves, they're going to have to ditch Pelosi as Minority Leader.  Unfortunately for them, the only way to 'politely' do that is for her to lose her seat.  And that will never happen.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »

I'm not a fan of party machines.  But from what I gather, the Democrats can at least begin to rebuild with Reid at the helm.  However, that goes only for the Senate.  What Gingrich achieved for the Republicans in 1994 was using the House as his base.  If the Dems want to try and repeat that 'revolution' for themselves, they're going to have to ditch Pelosi as Minority Leader.  Unfortunately for them, the only way to 'politely' do that is for her to lose her seat.  And that will never happen.

She could be vunerable in a primary though... the possibility of Blue Dogs bankrolling a far left challenger to Pelosi is amusing...
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »

I totally agree about getting rid of Pelosi.  She's such a weak leader.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 01:06:32 AM »

The title of this thread is misleading.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 12:32:42 AM »

Haha.  You got that right.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005, 12:08:27 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2005, 01:34:33 AM by Proud Liberal »

I have to admit that Reid is a better leader than Daschle, even though he's more conservative.

i agree with you that Reid is better than Daschle, if only because he is a new face, and has somewhat more backbone than his predecessor.  i would be happier with Sen. Dick Durbin (IL) as Senate Minority Leader though, and perhaps Rep. Barbara Lee (CA), or Rep. Tammy Baldwin (WI) as House Minority Leader. 

With Howard Dean as DNC chair, Dick Durbin as Senate Minority Leader, and Barbara Lee (or Tammy Baldwin) as House Minority Leader, it would present at long last a united opposition to the ruling Republicans. 

as long as Democrats keep collaborating with Republicans on issue after issue, as on the Iraq War Resolution vote of 2002, it will be seen as an affirmation to the general public of the conservative Republican agenda, and inadvertantly signal to them that there is no reason why they shouldn't vote Republican.  Once we stand firm, as we are doing so far on Social Security privatization, it will put the Republican Party into the spotlight, and deny them the cover of at least token Democratic support.  let them suffer the consequences of their votes on their own -there is no need for Democrats to go along with their agenda.   

we are now an opposition party, no longer a governing majority party, and we should act as such.  we need a Democratic version of Newt Gingrich and Tom DeLay to give the ruling Republican Party hell.   
H. Ross Perot
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 03:34:38 PM »

Whoot Whoot! I like Reid Alot!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies