NE1: Standardized Testing Reform Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:28:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Standardized Testing Reform Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Standardized Testing Reform Act  (Read 570 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »

Standardized Testing Reform Act

1. This act would require that all standardized tests switch to a more in-depth model, which requires them to truly think about each question, requiring more than half of the questions to be non-multiple choice, so that the answers reflect more knowledge than mere memorization.

2. The multiple choice questions will be more complex and fewer so that each answer represents a careful thought process and each question represents evaluation on learning, rather than learning for the evaluation.

3. There will also be more essay and short response questions so that students learn that being able to explain something is the best way to evaluate their knowledge on subject matter.

Sponsor: Jerseyrules

Jersey, you have 24 hours to advocate for this bill. Debate time will last 72 hours total.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2012, 03:08:49 PM by Senator Scott »

I support the aim of this bill, but the means of which this legislation establishes these test reforms are very unspecific.  What will be the criteria for tests that do not require memorization?  How do we define "more complex?"  How is 'true thinking' different from regular thinking?  I know I'm nit-picking here, but the first section of this bill alone seems to be a mere summary or defense for random goals than anything that can be construed as a comprehensive plan.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way or am being too critical, but I don't see how anyone could vote for a bill that's so vague in nature.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »

I support the aim of this bill, but the means of which this legislation establishes these test reforms are very unspecific.  What will be the criteria for tests that do not require memorization?  How do we define "more complex?"  How is 'true thinking' different from regular thinking?  I know I'm nit-picking here, but the first section of this bill alone seems to be a mere summary or defense for random goals than anything that can be construed as a comprehensive plan.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way or am being too critical, but I don't see how anyone could vote for a bill that's so vague in nature.

Senator, I respect your opinion and criticism.  But honestly, I don't know how.  Unless we say that there must be exactly 47 questions, and 22 are essay, etc.  And I don't want something like that; I don't want to constrict the powers of individual states and/or school districts, or the powers of this legislature, or those of our governor.  So much of this is just a motion to the governor, but the specifics are for the governor to decide.  I'm pretty sure he can make executive orders on this sort of thing, right?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »

One alternative I'd suggest is giving the teachers more autonomy over their jobs and letting them write the tests, while still holding them accountable.  Finland is one of the countries that allow this and it currently ranks at the top in terms of student performance.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:30:01 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2012, 06:32:23 PM by Jerseyrules »

One alternative I'd suggest is giving the teachers more autonomy over their jobs and letting them write the tests, while still holding them accountable.  Finland is one of the countries that allow this and it currently ranks at the top in terms of student performance.

I'm basing this bill largely off the Finnish model.  Their standardized testing is similar to the way I described it (and I couldn't find any specific figures for the purposes of this bill).  Anyway, I'm also going to put forward a bill like the one you just described (phase 2 of my education overhaul MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:27 AM »

If you ask me there are two options here, either there should be a truly standardized test, set by some sort of board, or it should be set by indivdual schools. I would not mind either (I instinctively like the board idea, but the facts, suggest that the teacher model would work just as well if not better) but I think it's clear the bill needs one. As such to try and force your hand Wink I'm proposing two amendments:

1. This act would require that all standardized tests switch to a more in-depth model, which requires them to truly think about each question, requiring more than half of the questions to be non-multiple choice, so that the answers reflect more knowledge than mere memorization.

2. The multiple choice questions will be more complex and fewer so that each answer represents a careful thought process and each question represents evaluation on learning, rather than learning for the evaluation.

3. There will also be more essay and short response questions so that students learn that being able to explain something is the best way to evaluate their knowledge on subject matter.

4. All tests shall be set by individual schools within these parameters

And:

4.All testing shall be set by an examinations board, comprising of ten qualified teachers,  within these parameters.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:56:46 AM »

Jersey? Which of the amendments, if either, is friendly?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

I am opposed to the bill in its current form, as it is, as others have mentioned, unspecific to the extreme.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »

I'm just going to assume both amendments are hostile. I'm not exactly sure what to do, and I don't think more debate time is necessary, so I'll bring this to a vote. Representatives will vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the final text.

Nay.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »

NAY
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »

Nay
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »

Nay
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »

Oh, voting expired a while ago. The bill fails, 0-4.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies