Would you go to this show?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:20:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you go to this show?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you go to this show?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Would you go to this show?  (Read 657 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »

I got work off, but I'm still torn. The facts:

-The total ticket price is over $30.
-There are four bands, three opening ones that are awesome and that I love, and one headliner that I really don't care about.
-That headlining band is the reason it's so expensive, and likely to attract very annoying people. (i.e. high schoolers)
-I've already seen all three opening bands.
-I went to a show with a similar setup last year (good openers, bleh on headliner) and some of the kids who were obviously attracted by the headliner made me want to smash their heads in.
-Lots of my buddies are going anyway.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »

Sure, you can leave before the headliner if you want.  I'd listen to the music you like and ignore the people that annoy you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »

Sure, you can leave before the headliner if you want.  I'd listen to the music you like and ignore the people that annoy you.

I did that at the mentioned show last year.

One good thing here is that one of the openers is local and huge here, so they might attract more of a crowd and much more tolerable people than NOFX.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:39:52 AM »

Go.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:12 AM »

Why not take out a lovely lady instead of going to a show?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:57:42 AM »

Pretty much the only people I've ever noticed under this inexplicable delusion that no females go to shows unsurprisingly tend to also be people who have never been to any shows. I mean look at how insanely female-skewed La Dispute's fanbase is for one (I don't think I've ever seen a male wearing one of their shirts in fact.)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:53 AM »

Pretty much the only people I've ever noticed under this inexplicable delusion that no females go to shows unsurprisingly tend to also be people who have never been to any shows. I mean look at how insanely female-skewed La Dispute's fanbase is for one (I don't think I've ever seen a male wearing one of their shirts in fact.)

Certainly a lot of females go to these kinds of concerts.

Though asking how many "lovely ladies" go may yield a different answer, depending on your personal views.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:09:19 AM »

I don't go to concerts.

I see girls that look like say the girl from Heartsounds at shows all the time. Indisputably hot.

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »

Note on female attendance emo/hardcore/punk shows: it's certainly very high but is diminished in pictures somewhat by their aversion to mosh. Aka, compared to most musical subcultures it's fairly average.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »

Note on female attendance emo/hardcore/punk shows: it's certainly very high but is diminished in pictures somewhat by their aversion to mosh. Aka, compared to most musical subcultures it's fairly average.

That is correct. They usually are more clustered near the back of the room and they often drink more (though granted this is no doubt largely due to the fact that they can basically drink for free often.)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »

That is correct. They usually are more clustered near the back of the room and they often drink more (though granted this is no doubt largely due to the fact that they can basically drink for free often.)

Am I the only one who always found that a very disturbing trend at Western bars? Because I just get this image of sketchy guys going from bar to bar, trying to buy their way into date rape.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:25:39 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2012, 02:27:42 AM by because you want the numbers to look a certain way »

Frat boys might do that, but scene guys don't as they reject all forms of reactionary thought and misogyny.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:30:34 AM »

Frat boys might do that, but scene guys don't as they reject all forms of reactionary thought and misogyny.

BRTD isn't really exaggerating either. If you want to meet the small handful of angry feminist males that are out there, punk shows are the place to see them.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 02:45:53 AM »

BRTD isn't really exaggerating either. If you want to meet the small handful of angry feminist males that are out there, punk shows are the place to see them.

Yeah...I'll pass on that. The only concert I've been to was for AKB48, and I'm keeping it that way.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

No, I wouldn't attend this concert. Wink
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »

In terms of girl hotness at festivals/shows, something like Country Thunder is going to be indisputably #1. But I'd rather not have my ears bleed for three days or however long it is. #2 is going to be EDM festivals (Ultra, EDC, Electric Zoo, Tomorrowland, etc.) - the only reason it's behind country is because the ratio isn't going to be as good. Then you have your indie/punk/alternative and hippie/jam band stuff. Then a very very very very very large gap followed by metal. There might be one or two hot girls (at most) at metal shows/concerts/festivals, but female lead vocalists in metal bands tend to be inexplicably hot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »

Yes, that's another reason why I hate metal so much.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »

I'm probably too late to respond but I must. You see I too have been in a predicament like this and made the wrong decision. I do not know why I chose to attend that $10 marionette show in Cedar Rapids at the public library to this day. There was no reason for me to attend as the only people there were overweight men with graying ponytails and women who smelled like hemp and Snackwell cookies. One might say that on that day I watched a puppet theater production of As You Like It with the entirety of the Iowa Green Party. I must admit that while it was a waste of time and money I will never forget that puppet of Touchstone. All this fool can know is that the puppetry for that little court fool was amazing.

Lest I digress:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is a good price. $30 is not too much for a concert, just enough for a sexual act and far too much for a Michael Bay film.

WARNING: The rule of four should never entice you to see a performance. If you were to attend a female nude dancing show, for instance, it does not matter if the first three women were the most attractive things since Princess Grace if the main act is reminiscent of Cloris Leachman. It does not matter how great the foreplay is if the main show is a mess. This does not bode well for my decision on if you should attend this show.

This is a good reason to attend the show. As a regular listener of NPR I have learned that we can take much culture in from being around those that annoy us. This is why I listen to NPR on a regular basis.  

This is not good for the final verdict of viewing the show. All bands have only one good song. "Let it Be" was the only good song The Beatles ever wrote. Crocodile Rock was the finest tune spun by Sir Elton John, Esquire. The Kid is Hot Tonite was the only song written in the 1980s and it was by Loverboy. Loverboy was a terrible band and yet it wrote the only song of a decade. If you have already seen all three bands you want to see why not spend the night on an adult website or playing Atari 2600? Why pay for sloppy seconds?

This is a great reason to go to anything. I once heard on NPR that wanton aggression is good for you. Also you have shown an intelligence beyond your years. The head would be the softest part of a teenager's head to smash. You have shown that you are economical in terms of murdering those you detest and thus, I would say, deserve to attend the show based on merit alone.  

Aha the plot thickens. How would you define these "buddies"? Are they friends whom you imbibe with? If so why not simply purchase some acidic beer and get drunk by a bridge? This will not cost you $30. Perhaps your "buddies" are gentlemen of the night. By this I mean vampires. If so I can see why they would want to attend a concert at night. After all they are the children of the night and what sweet music they make. Your buddies may also be "friends with extras." If this is so I can see why you would bring them to a concert. At a concert odds are that they will find someone else to shack up with who appears "deeper" to them. Yes, at the concert your friend with extras leaves you and believes that she has won the game. FOOL! This is what you wanted all along. The prestige has been completed and now she has vanished from your life and you may spend more time with your vampire friends. A fine choice.

In the end I would say that your final score is high. I advise you to attend the show with your buddies and enjoy the one song of the three acts you actually want to see. If you do end up killing a high school student you should not feel bad. This luck high school student will now get their very own page in the yearbook.  
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »

I got work off, but I'm still torn. The facts:

-The total ticket price is over $30.
-There are four bands, three opening ones that are awesome and that I love, and one headliner that I really don't care about.
-That headlining band is the reason it's so expensive, and likely to attract very annoying people. (i.e. high schoolers)
-I've already seen all three opening bands.
-I went to a show with a similar setup last year (good openers, bleh on headliner) and some of the kids who were obviously attracted by the headliner made me want to smash their heads in.
-Lots of my buddies are going anyway.
Go, smash some heads if necessary, claim self-defense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2012, 05:46:53 PM by because you want the numbers to look a certain way »

Well it turns out that Fat Mike from NOFX is really sick, so the show is "postponed". However two of the bands I did want to see are playing another venue later tonight, and it's only $5...and I can get a refund on my $30 ticket...so it really worked out in a way. Of course that also means I took off work for no reason, but not working is not something to complain about.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies