Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:23:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 23252 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »

Ted Strickland's remark about Romney's "economic patriotism" was GREAT!!!!! THAT'S the Democratic Party I grew up with!!!!!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »

Strickland gave a great speech.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »

IF MITT ROMNEY OBAMA WERE SANTA CLAUS, HE WOULD FIRE ABORT THE REINDEER AND OUTSOURCE FORCE GAY MARRIAGE ON THE ELVES
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »

Strickland gave quite the populist speech. Pretty good.

Rahm is coming up. Hoping he drops some f bombs
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »

IF MITT ROMNEY OBAMA WERE SANTA CLAUS, HE WOULD FIRE ABORT THE REINDEER AND OUTSOURCE FORCE GAY MARRIAGE ON THE ELVES

You're on the wrong side of history.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »

When the USA adopts nation-wide gay marriage (whether through SCOTUS or Federal Law), are you going to have a mental breakdown?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »

Surely Chaffee can't be serious when he talks of fiscal responsibility as we crossed $16 trillion in debt today!

Debt accumulated by your party. You do realize that Dems are the party of fiscal responsibility, right? Republicans have become the big-spending reactionary party. The last Republican president with a balanced budget?

...Eisenhower...

Facts. Republicans could use some.

Notice how I didn't mention the GOP in my statement. I never claimed the Republicans did a great job. But this whole "well the republicans spent a lot too!" rebuttal is old. Fact is, we are in serious fiscal trouble. I don't care which party fixes it. But it's clear Obama is not capable of it based on his first term in office.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »

Sebelius 2016!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

Has someone proposed a law that would require you to gay-marry? When that happens, I will share your indignation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »

Welfare reform was not only popular, it largely worked.

It certainly worked alright.

Yes it did, as your graph shows.

If you want to show that welfare reform is a failure, then showing that fewer people received government cash is not how to do it. Quite the reverse as it shows that it achieved one of its goals.  You'd need to show that those people below the poverty line are significantly worse off today than they were before TANF replaced AFDC.

Also, I consider the EITC to be a far preferable way of providing assistance to the working poor.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »

Teddy Inksin' Strickland...

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »

Like Biden and Clinton, she's too old.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »

Surely Chaffee can't be serious when he talks of fiscal responsibility as we crossed $16 trillion in debt today!

Debt accumulated by your party. You do realize that Dems are the party of fiscal responsibility, right? Republicans have become the big-spending reactionary party. The last Republican president with a balanced budget?

...Eisenhower...

Facts. Republicans could use some.

Notice how I didn't mention the GOP in my statement. I never claimed the Republicans did a great job. But this whole "well the republicans spent a lot too!" rebuttal is old. Fact is, we are in serious fiscal trouble. I don't care which party fixes it. But it's clear Obama is not capable of it based on his first term in office.

There were higher priorities, like saving us from the biggest economic disaster in history.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

Pro-life view has higher support than pro-abortion and has since 2008.

Nagas, Hate to beak it to you and the other progressives but every time the people within a state get to vote regarding marriage (even California) traditional marriage wins. It's sad the DNC refuses to aknowledge God and honor that our rights come from God not government or recgonize that JERUSALEM IS THE ETERNAL CAPTIAL OF ISRAEL Truman, Cleveland, Bryant etc would be weeping in shame over what the democrats have become.
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »

Nagas, Hate to beak it to you and the other progressives but every time the people within a state get to vote regarding marriage (even California) traditional marriage wins. It's sad the DNC refuses to aknowledge God and honor that our rights come from God not government or recgonize that JERUSALEM IS THE ETERNAL CAPTIAL OF ISRAEL Truman, Cleveland, Bryant etc would be weeping in shame over what the democrats have become.

you need to do a physics course and realize find out where we come from and how we got here and how the universe works.

no more stories for you. time to be a grown up.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »

Yes it did, as your graph shows.

If you want to show that welfare reform is a failure, then showing that fewer people received government cash is not how to do it. Quite the reverse as it shows that it achieved one of its goals.  You'd need to show that those people below the poverty line are significantly worse off today than they were before TANF replaced AFDC.

Also, I consider the EITC to be a far preferable way of providing assistance to the working poor.

The point is it's largely been a success at what it was designed to do: drop people off the program. I don't see any evidence that these families are better off with TANF (which is hardly a replacement for AFDC especially with its ridiculously low benefits and lifetime time limits), the only difference is now they have one less thing to rely on.

It's like restricting the eligibility guidelines of the food stamp program and then cheering when people are dropped off the lists and become ineligible for it even though they're still in poverty. How is that a replacement for anything?

As for the EITC, that's just a payment mechanism.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »

It's long past time Kal Penn stop being a mediocre actor and start being a mediocre politician instead.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »

Nagas, Hate to beak it to you and the other progressives but every time the people within a state get to vote regarding marriage (even California) traditional marriage wins. It's sad the DNC refuses to aknowledge God and honor that our rights come from God not government or recgonize that JERUSALEM IS THE ETERNAL CAPTIAL OF ISRAEL Truman, Cleveland, Bryant etc would be weeping in shame over what the democrat have become.

you need to do a physics course and realize find out where we come from and how we got here and how the universe works.

I know how physics works. When a party refuses to honor the One who gave it the remotest of possibilities of existence and supports policies contrary to His principals of Liberty then it has ceased to be a party of credibility.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

I thought Kal Penn was funny. He found a way to make an Eastwood joke without being mean spirited
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

LOL? Wexler is there??? What an asshole, he used to be my Congressman.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »

Nagas, Hate to beak it to you and the other progressives but every time the people within a state get to vote regarding marriage (even California) traditional marriage wins. It's sad the DNC refuses to aknowledge God and honor that our rights come from God not government or recgonize that JERUSALEM IS THE ETERNAL CAPTIAL OF ISRAEL Truman, Cleveland, Bryant etc would be weeping in shame over what the democrat have become.

I know how physics works. When a party refuses to honor the One who gave it the remotest of possibilities of existence and supports policies contrary to His principals of Liberty then it has ceased to be a party of credibility.

Principles such as killing those who work on the Sabbath, you mean?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2012, 08:42:33 PM by Nagas »

Gay marriage is legal in 6 states+DC (2 more will be joining us soon!), and this is only the beginning. Within the next two decades we'll see gay marriage go from 50/50 for/against to overwhelmingly in favor. You are on the wrong side of history, and I'm not sure how you feed this fantasy that Americans would suddenly turn against it. America is departing a nation of WASPs and embracing a more diverse nation in terms of ethnicity and religion. The people most opposed to gay marriage are shrinking as a percentage of a population.

I'm looking forward to Maine this November. The weak talking point that "OMG GAY MARRIAGE ALWAYS FAILS AT THE POLLS THEREFORE IT'S INVALID!!!11" will finally be invalidated.

And are you on crazy pills? And who is Bryant? Last time I checked, Kobe was sticking to that B-Ball.

I want to reintroduce my question: will you still be able to function mentally when the SCOTUS legalizes gay marriage throughout the country? I know that a lot of white-power types were still coherent after Brown v Board, but the gay-marriage opponents seem rabid and engrained in their hate.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »

LOL

You need to come out from under the rock beneath which you've been living.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »

That Kennedy video was beautiful.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »

Lily Ledbetter was damn good. Very powerful speech.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies