Are Cuomo & Schweitzer Too Moderate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:59:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are Cuomo & Schweitzer Too Moderate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are The Governors Too Moderate For The Base
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Are Cuomo & Schweitzer Too Moderate  (Read 1445 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »
« edited: September 01, 2012, 04:20:21 PM by Clinton1996 "You Know You Miss Your Daddy" »

Governor Cuomo and Governor Schweitzer are my top choices for 2016, assuming Hillary doesn't run. But are they too moderate, like Warner and Bayh. Would they have an actual chance in 2016, or are they just getting built up and look good on paper, but are lacking in real life?  Would they need to run considerably to the left to win? They could move the Democrats too a more Populist Libertarian party, one that could really be compatible with the changing demographics of the country.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:32:42 PM »

Cuomo probably, Schweitzer no. Plus Cuomo has skeletons from his HUD days.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »

During a competitive primary campaign, Cuomo's personality is more likely to harm him. He's a deeply paranoid man.

Yeah. I think Cuomo has done a good enough job in NY, but everything I've heard about him suggests a consummate politician, with a Machiavellian-Nixonian personality. Which in of itself is not a bad thing persay, but it could lead to problems when goes onto the national stage and gets, like every presidential candidate, vivisected by the national media. Plus, he's got HUD skeletons [edit: hah, R/R was thinking the same]

I'm not actually sure about Schweitzer's positions on issues. As a governor in a relatively small state, I think he gets to avoid a lot of crazy culture war issues.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

Possibly, but they both have bigger problems than that. Cuomo has personality problems and a personal life that could be a liability and Schweitzer is unknown and from a state that rarely gets much attention. And Cuomo delivering big on gay rights probably cancels out everything else with the base.

For what it's worth, I really don't think either will ever be president. O'Malley is even less likely in my opinion.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »

No.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

It depends on where the party is by 2016.  Bill Clinton is a candidate who might not have been acceptable to the party in fatter times, but after the Democrats had received shellackings in three straight Presidential elections, people were more open to him.  Much will depend on the state of Obama's legacy by 2016.

One question I have about Schweitzer specifically is how well he appeals to the racial minorities in the Democratic base since he comes from a largely white state.  Bill Clinton did well reaching out to Latinos and Asians even though they had little presence in AR and he was well regarded amongst blacks.  OTOH, John Kerry showed little rapport with these groups in 2004.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:37 PM »

Schweitzer would probably get a similar base to Howard Dean (Kos Democrats), plus Native Americans (only a factor in the West, really).
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:16:35 PM »

Unlike Dean, I could easily see Schweitzer picking up traction with working class Democrats.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »

Schweitzer's support is likely to be with progressives.

Daily Kos people aren't enough to outweigh the media, which will help Cuomo.

So no.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

I see O'Malley as a big factor; he's more of a generic (probably slightly left of the mean of the Democratic Party) Democrat, and has everything Cuomo has in relation to gay rights.

Schweitzer will be strong with that brand of Democrat who loves hunting, drives a pickup truck, and supports universal healthcare and financial regulatory reform, the kind that's somewhat common in Northern New England and the Rockies.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »

As sitting governor of New York, Cuomo could probably out-fundraise anyone else in the field (besides HRC, who he'd have no chance against anyway).  That should be enough to cancel out his liabilities.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »

As Governor, Cuomo has been very good at distinguishing between issues that are vital to important Democratic interest groups and those on which he's free to tack to the center.

During a competitive primary campaign, Cuomo's personality is more likely to harm him. He's a deeply paranoid man.

That is his biggest advantage. Wink
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

I see O'Malley as a big factor; he's more of a generic (probably slightly left of the mean of the Democratic Party) Democrat, and has everything Cuomo has in relation to gay rights.

I don't know, for some reason I get a Pawlenty vibe out of O'Malley. He just seems like he's trying too hard.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »

Cuomo: sure.
Schweitzer: probably.

I think democrats need a candidate like Hickenlooper. A more liberal ((but still moderate) option who appeals to the liberal base.
renegadedemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »

I don't think there's such thing as too moderate. The reality is that there are more moderates and swing voters than there are liberals willing to abandon the Democratic Party because of a candidate being too moderate. This especially applies to Schweitzer; who can appeal to your everyday Democrat, but can also help out the moderates who, as it was aforementioned, love hunting and drive a pickup truck. I can see Schweitzer not only keeping good base with the minorities, but also picking up southern votes, specifically KY and TN
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

Schweitzer will be strong with that brand of Democrat who loves hunting, drives a pickup truck, and supports universal healthcare and financial regulatory reform, the kind that's somewhat common in Northern New England and the Rockies.

Yeah, basically. The idea that Schweitzer is a Blue Dog/moderate is kind of absurd when he's known to support Canadian-style healthcare and strong financial regulatory reform.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies